Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by splash_fr Quote
In wanted to use the off-center points for portraits. With a 135/2 using center point and recompose is not accurate enough.

Thanks for the interesting discussion,
gerd.
Not quite to the point, but you might consider swapping out your focusing screen to an S-type or other replacement with greater DOF differentiation. I found my 'hit' rate improved probably 5-fold on older manual glass once I replaced mine. I usually have focus confirmation switched *off*, FWIW.

(*edit - sorry, wrong quote initially)

09-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Not quite to the point, but you might consider swapping out your focusing screen to an S-type or other replacement with greater DOF differentiation. I found my 'hit' rate improved probably 5-fold on older manual glass once I replaced mine. I usually have focus confirmation switched *off*, FWIW.

That's what I'll do in a few weeks, changing the focusing screen (but good ones are not cheap, considering the price I paid for my K200D, if only I could find a used one) and maybe adding a VF magnifier.
09-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
That's what I'll do in a few weeks, changing the focusing screen (but good ones are not cheap, considering the price I paid for my K200D, if only I could find a used one) and maybe adding a VF magnifier.
Focusing Screen
That's the one I have in my K-3. There are many others. It's my fav by far. Roughly 75 USD.
09-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Focusing Screen
That's the one I have in my K-3. There are many others. It's my fav by far. Roughly 75 USD.
I will rather take this one : Focusing Screen

or the 180° split disk one (B)

The one you linked has no center focus disk, realy ?

(but it is still about half the value of my K200D body, got it for 100 euro as I sold the kit lens I got with it)

Last edited by bygp; 09-19-2015 at 01:08 AM.
09-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
What I would do for this purpose (if you don't mind about the number of shots taken) is bracketing while MF focusing, you would be very unlucky not to have 2 or 3 perfect shots from 10 If your subject is not stressed by shutter noise...
I do this most of the time and it works fine. But I donÄt like it when using flash on location because recycle times are too long...

rgds,
Gerd.

---------- Post added 09-21-15 at 05:31 PM ----------

I might put the (olds and dirty) S-type from my K5 in my new and shiny K3-II!
Good point,
thanks.