Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Getting a K20D...

Greetings all!

After a while of researching what DSLR to buy, reading reviews, forums, ... I've settled on getting a K20D and thus becoming a 'Pentaxian' (I really like the sound of that).

I'll have to wait for about a month (11th+ July, 2008) before I can get the camera, but I'd like to plan ahead, so I'd like to know what other things I would probably need.

Would this bag ("Pentax Multibag") be okay? Or would you prefer a different one? (what exactly can fit in there anyway? it says DSLR + 2 lenses on the site)

For the memory card, I thought around the lines of Sandisk Ultra II/Extreme III 4 GB, is that enough? Note that I would prefer to shoot RAW most of the time.

As for an extra battery, I haven't noticed much information about that. And more or less the only shop I know around here (Slovenia...) only sells a "Pentax D-Li50" and a -MUCH- cheaper "Ansmann D-Li50 for Pentax."

I hope I'm not forgetting any other things I'll need... maybe a tripod. But I'm on a fairly (=quite very) limited budget, the camera alone is burning my funds to the ground, so please keep that in mind when referring me to products. =)

So anyway, thanks in advance for your recommendations,

- Matej

08-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #2

Zdravo!
Če misliš slikati RAW, po možnosti še kakšen rafal, potem Extreme III. Ultra II pa za rezervo v denarnico.
Zelo dobra stvar ti je tudi (po možnosti originalni) Pentax adapter, ki omogoča uporabo starih m42 objektivov (to so oni, ki so se uporabljali na Zenithih, Practicah in prvih Pentaxih); nekateri so odlični, cene pa zelo znostne. Pač vse manual (merjenje svetlobe deluje).
Sicer pa pozdravljen med Pentaxijci. Vabim pa te tudi na forum e-Fotografija / FORUM • Index page kjer nas je tudi nekaj.
08-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How has the new camera been.
08-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got it less than a week ago now. I just need to hone my skills to quickly access all of the dials when needed, but I'm not "lost" anymore at least.
The absence of photos (as I haven't posted any) is due to me being a sucky photographer, so I can't say I've made anything impressive so far... but I hope that'll come with time... a young theatre group has a project today, so I hope I'll get something interesting enough off of that.
(Luckily it's not only interiors - as I've only the 18-55mkII, and it's a bit slow for that kind of thing)

08-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #5

Welcome to the Crew, I got my K20d (from k100d) a few days ago myself.
Don't worry about the learning curve, it comes quick on the penties.
I have also obtained "extra" batteries, Hahnel one's at 50% the price of true pentax one's.

Glad to have you on board the pentax "way of life"
08-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I also got an extra battery, some random company one... but it works. Was less than 50% the cost too.

Although the shop I ordered the stuff from sent me the wrong bag (didn't order that one) so I need to send it back for a replacement.

And I'm also glad to have become a.. uh.. Pentaxian!

Now to the snapping... =p
08-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
As for an extra battery, I haven't noticed much information about that. And more or less the only shop I know around here (Slovenia...) only sells a "Pentax D-Li50" and a -MUCH- cheaper "Ansmann D-Li50 for Pentax."
Minolta NP400 is a good extra battery (was/is ~USD $10 @ B&H Photo/Video... "Konica Minolta NP-400 Lithium-Ion Battery (7.4v 1500mAh) for DiMAGE A1, A2 & Maxxum 5D, 7D Digital Cameras")