Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that new lenses like the 150-450 (with which this photo was taken), go a long way to improving tracking from the focus system of the K-3. interestingly, I don't find that I am limited in lens selection as I have from 10mm (both fish-eye and normal) all the way through to the Sigma 500 f4.5 (which goes delightfully sharp out to 700mm with the Pentax HD 1.4x Rear Converter). Interestingly, most of these are full frame already. In full-frame, my collection goes from 20mm to 500mm. While there are some limitations in the focus motors of many of the legacy Pentax brand lenses, this is really only a problem for long lenses (who chases wildlife at wide angle, anyway), the alternatives such as Sigma are not actually better. And, as this thread started, the user interface on the Pentax system is just delightful. I am looking forward to some further innovation in the focus motors of lenses at 300mm or more.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #17
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I shot interiors, and I don't see a reason why I should use a FF for that. I'd be stopping down the lens A LOT to get the DoF I want, and then optical quality becomes an issue. .
visible diffraction occurs at f/8 on crop and f/11 on ff, so that's when the dof is the same on both formats.

there is no significant wide or long penalty with either format, so no, you won't be having any optical quality problems with ff shooting interiors.

24mp/28mp crop has greater pixel density, but ff has better iso performance and better file latitude in post.

similar to how the 645z has better iso performance than the a7rii.
09-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I did the same with the k-5 and to a lesser extent with the k-5IIs. Shoot 3 or 4 mostly identical shots to make sure one was in focus. When I switched to the k-3 I continued that practice, until I noticed that I could not tell one shot from the other. All of them were in focus. Sure, an occasional miss but my fault, not the camera. Maybe I have just improved? I doubt it. The k-3, for the type of shooting I do simply does not miss. I hasten to add that is not sports or birds or anything moving much. I've no experience with that.
I have the same experience with my K-S2 coming from a K-5.