Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 01:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,741
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I did not know (or I forgot) about the increased number of readout channels, only that both models had the 14MP Samsung sensor.

Of course it is possible they had to shrink the hidden NR routines applied to RAW, to make the process fast enough the added channels would really offer an adantage. But it is also possible they fiddled with other parameters, like base ISO. Real ISO is not always the same as what is set and displayed. A hidden decrease of base ISO of half a step will make the camera perform better in most test arrangements. It will, however, not really help in real life shooting.
I believe it's the extra circuitry needed for the extra readout channels that cause the difference in noise. So the circuitry took up larger part of the sensor, and light capturing area got slightly smaller.

09-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 1,088
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe it's the extra circuitry needed for the extra readout channels that cause the difference in noise. So the circuitry took up larger part of the sensor, and light capturing area got slightly smaller.
This would be a good explanation.
09-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 464
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
K10D and K20D has a switch to switch on/off the shake reduction, K-5 is in the menu.
The only times I turn off SR is when I use a tripod.
09-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,498
Want to make a few observations regarding the OP, and more recent posts.

The OP has a K200D, and is wondering about the comparison to the K20D. The K200D was one of the last CCD sensors - and as a 10mp it was very lovely and rich at the lower ISOs, but not very useful past about 400 ISO. Some folks say it was the best sensor in a Pentax in good light, but not at all good in low light. Not that the K20D is close in low light capabilities to the K5 - but it is closer to any of the 16 mp CMOS sensors (starting with the K5) than it is compared to the K200D. If it is at all significant to you, the WR sealing on the K20D is absolutely superb; better than the more recent models.

The 14mp Samsung sensors in the K20D and the K7 had the differences mentioned above, but the real concern between the two was difference in dynamic range (stills shooting). The K20D was considerably better, and the metering was more conservative - preventing blown highlights in all but the most difficult situations. However, the shadow noise is greater than the later models. While I wouldn't say that the K20D is comparable to current models, it is adequate for the majority of shooting situations (but not action sports) - and it probably remains the most dependable and trouble-free of the Pentax dSLR models.

09-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
The only times I turn off SR is when I use a tripod.
So, your point is???
09-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #21
Senior Member
bygp's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Toulon, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Want to make a few observations regarding the OP, and more recent posts.

The OP has a K200D, and is wondering about the comparison to the K20D. The K200D was one of the last CCD sensors - and as a 10mp it was very lovely and rich at the lower ISOs, but not very useful past about 400 ISO. Some folks say it was the best sensor in a Pentax in good light, but not at all good in low light. Not that the K20D is close in low light capabilities to the K5 - but it is closer to any of the 16 mp CMOS sensors (starting with the K5) than it is compared to the K200D. If it is at all significant to you, the WR sealing on the K20D is absolutely superb; better than the more recent models.

The 14mp Samsung sensors in the K20D and the K7 had the differences mentioned above, but the real concern between the two was difference in dynamic range (stills shooting). The K20D was considerably better, and the metering was more conservative - preventing blown highlights in all but the most difficult situations. However, the shadow noise is greater than the later models. While I wouldn't say that the K20D is comparable to current models, it is adequate for the majority of shooting situations (but not action sports) - and it probably remains the most dependable and trouble-free of the Pentax dSLR models.
Thanks for these sharp additional informations. Anyway, I won't have the budget for either the K20D or the K-5 before months, and from what I've seen, K-5 sensor is a great improvement when needing higher ISO (and I often need, mainly when I'm shooting at 200mm or more without a tripod, not using SR because SR is not reliable on an old K-mount zoom). I could keep the K200D for tougher conditions outside shots and use the K-5 in all other "normal" conditions... pricing delta between K20 and K5 is not that big now on used market so I see it as a better investment when having 2 bodies for 2 different type of photography. K20D would probably be too similar the my K200D. I just regret they moved the buttons that were on LCD left and moved the LCD on the left end, more finger prints on it^^

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 07:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
The only times I turn off SR is when I use a tripod.
Not a matter, I almost never use SR, as I only have 1 KAF lens (70-210mm) where it could be usefull if it is reliable with this zoom (SLR designed zoom, not DSLR). Tell me if I'm wrong but I've seen that AF and SR functions are reliable only with modern DSLR designed lenses. (Using AF with my Sigma AF-K 70-210mm made me miss 60% of my shots, so I now only use it with MF)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, dslr, k-5, k200d, k20d, k5, lcd, light, models, photography, prices, sensors, shots, sr, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning K10D Vs K200D Vs K20D sagar Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 10-19-2013 12:17 PM
K200D vs K20D audio.mann Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 11-14-2009 02:44 PM
K20D vs. K200D with M42 lenses? emr Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 07-03-2009 11:27 AM
Learning curve; K200D vs. K20D Bikesmith Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 01-27-2009 07:00 AM
Focusing speed comparison K200D vs. K20D heliphoto Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 11-22-2008 03:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top