Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 05:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K200D vs K20D

On the used market, the K20D prices start to get very close to K200D, average 50% more, you can find K20D with 10k shutter count in mint condition at 220$ bids start.
I went further in the K20D specs and it has a very nice ergonomy, you can set almost everything without using the LCD menu. Although its sensor is not as good as the K-5, its body seems a tank, heavy, people say it has more autonomy than the k-5.

Some told me about the K-x but it looks cheap built vs the K200D, low prices but I'm getting used to the top LCD informations and I need a heavy strong body as I use a heavy Vivitar series 1 70-210 (1st Kiron release).

What could be the cons of the K20D ?

So, owning a K200D and mostly shoting in MF and M or Av modes, what do you think could be the best next body to have once more experienced ?

If anyone here had both the K20D and K-5, can he give me feedback on their ergonomy and build quality ? Thanks !

09-16-2015, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The K5 is much more refined than K20D, and IMO the ergonomics on K5 is better.
If you have big hands you might prefer using K5 with battery grip.

There is a big difference is in build quality and operation, where K5 in every way feels superior. Comparing both makes the K20D seem very old.
- K5 has body in metal, K20D in plastic
- Shutter/mirror mechanism is much smoother/quieter on K5
- K5 has 100% OVF, where K20D has 95%
- Much better sensor in K5
- Much better LCD on K5
- K5 is more responsive
- K5 have much better live view and can record video
- Plus many more improvements...
09-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote

There is a big difference is in build quality and operation, where K5 in every way feels superior. Comparing both makes the K20D seem very old.
- Much better LCD on K5
- K5 is more responsive
Thank you, I'll better wait a good K-5 deal then, LCD definition is an important point for me, even if I use OVF, I very often use the LCD+zoom to validate my shots, so having a good zoomed picture definition is a great feature for the way i use it. Thanks, complete and clear feedback !
09-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the k20d is still a joy to use, but it doesn't look as an upgrade path from the k200d to me. At least not today...
Indeed, for MF, it might (will) be better to get a body with focus peaking!

09-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a used K20D to a used K5.

I haven't used the K20D since. Not even once. I still shoot some film.

14 bit raw and ISO 51,200 make all the difference in the world.

I'm waiting for the second FF Pentax to upgrade to the first.
09-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I stil use a K20 and also a K-01.
Ergonomics of K20 is just great for me. when first came out I tried and K7 felt like a joke after it but thats very subjective i know.

The worst thing about it is the shutter noise! man that's a mood killer really.
Also iso is not very useful at 800 and above.

the image quality is still great, but for higher iso maybe K5 would serve better after K200.
09-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
On the used market, the K20D prices start to get very close to K200D, average 50% more, you can find K20D with 10k shutter count in mint condition at 220$ bids start.
I went further in the K20D specs and it has a very nice ergonomy, you can set almost everything without using the LCD menu. Although its sensor is not as good as the K-5, its body seems a tank, heavy, people say it has more autonomy than the k-5.

Some told me about the K-x but it looks cheap built vs the K200D, low prices but I'm getting used to the top LCD informations and I need a heavy strong body as I use a heavy Vivitar series 1 70-210 (1st Kiron release).

What could be the cons of the K20D ?

So, owning a K200D and mostly shoting in MF and M or Av modes, what do you think could be the best next body to have once more experienced ?

If anyone here had both the K20D and K-5, can he give me feedback on their ergonomy and build quality ? Thanks !
I'd upgrade to the K-5 because its redesigned button and menu layout really does simplify a lot of things in the long term. It'll take a bit of time to get used to it, but then the new layout will become second nature. You'll also enjoy faster everyday speed with the K-5. On top of that you get a faster burst framerate, better image quality, proper live view, and video. The K20D's live view is rather rudimentary and it may feel a bit dated, since a lot of its features were originally launched back in 2006 in the K10D.

Bottom line: a newer body like the K-5 gets in your way less and lets you focus more on photography

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all these feedbacks, I'll just have to wait or do some extra jobs to get a K-5 as it's about 2x to 3x the price of a K200D and I spent a lot in lenses this month, maybe selling my less beloved lenses will help^^ There is no hurry, the K200D is a very good teacher IMO, I learnt a lot since I got it and will never end to learn

09-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

- Much better LCD on K5
- K5 is more responsive
I beg to differ, better build quality does not translate to better ergonomics. True, K-5's technological advancements leave the K20D in the dust but then K3 and K3II has superseded the K-5 (perhaps not as dramatic a difference as K20D to K-5).

K10D and K20D has a switch to switch on/off the shake reduction, K-5 is in the menu.
K-5 has the accursed lock on the function dial (I have no idea what advantage the lock serves)
K-5 placed the Exposure Compensation and the ISO buttons about 2cm behind the shutter release button, I find it really awkward trying to reach back to access them in the field, especially the ISO button. K20D placed the EV compensation button in the back near the thumb. I suppose pressing the FN button to access the shooting mode, ISO, Flash Mode and the White Balance can be seen as being inferior to the K-5's direct access on the 4 way button, but that also means that none of them can be pushed accidentally on the K10D or the K20D.

As for being out and about with the cameras (I no longer have the K20D), I use wrist straps with both K10D and the K-5. I don't feel any noticeable difference in the comfort level carrying either cameras for an hour or three.
09-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

One alternative would be the K-7.
It has the case and most of the firmware of the K-5, but the sensor of the K20.

If you occasionally shoot architecture, there is very big advantage with the K-5:
It was the first Pentax DSLR providing a sensor shift big enough to replace a special shift lens, in most cases.
With the K-7, the range is too small, K20 and K200D don't offer user controlled sensor shift as a feature.
09-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
One alternative would be the K-7.
It has the case and most of the firmware of the K-5, but the sensor of the K20.

If you occasionally shoot architecture, there is very big advantage with the K-5:
It was the first Pentax DSLR providing a sensor shift big enough to replace a special shift lens, in most cases.
With the K-7, the range is too small, K20 and K200D don't offer user controlled sensor shift as a feature.
Architecture (mainly old buildings, churches, castles, interior design...) belongs to my favorite subjects so that's another +1 for the K-5
thanks for this detail I didn't know about
09-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
Architecture (mainly old buildings, churches, castles, interior design...) belongs to my favorite subjects so that's another +1 for the K-5
thanks for this detail I didn't know about
There are threads about this feature, with example pictures.

Presently I am too lazy to search, but it should not be too difficult to find them.

EDIT:
Found one of them:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/275602-compositi...you-using.html

There are also Forum articles about the feature:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/tag/composition+adjustment.html

Last edited by RKKS08; 09-17-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Info added
09-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Did the K7 and the K20 have the same sensor?
09-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Did the K7 and the K20 have the same sensor?
Not exactly the same, the sensor in K7 had more readout channels which gave it higher FPS, video and better live view.
These things gave K7 a slight disadvantage in noise performance compared to K20D.
09-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Not exactly the same, the sensor in K7 had more readout channels which gave it higher FPS, video and better live view.
These things gave K7 a slight disadvantage in noise performance compared to K20D.
I did not know (or I forgot) about the increased number of readout channels, only that both models had the 14MP Samsung sensor.

Of course it is possible they had to shrink the hidden NR routines applied to RAW, to make the process fast enough the added channels would really offer an adantage. But it is also possible they fiddled with other parameters, like base ISO. Real ISO is not always the same as what is set and displayed. A hidden decrease of base ISO of half a step will make the camera perform better in most test arrangements. It will, however, not really help in real life shooting.