Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Repair

Hey guys, in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

My screw drive totally wonked out on me. The power switch is a bit sticky as well.

I bought this online through Adorama and the authorized Pentax repair centre near my house says Ricoh made the decision that since I technically bought it through an American dealer, the warranty does not include it.

The estimate is about 250$ for fixing the screw drive and replacing the power button.

It's a bit steep, should I just bite the bullet and pay for it? Or try and go without it and just use HSM/SDM lenses from now on? The power button is not a make or break.

Alternatively I could ship it to the US and have it under warranty there while paying for tarifs and taxes and the sort.

Help guys

I love my k-3 to death, and my DA 50 1.8 as well.

Thanks!

09-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how long ago did you purchase it from Adorama?
09-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
how long ago did you purchase it from Adorama?
Less than a year ago!
09-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You shouldn't have to pay tariffs and taxes if you list on the custom's declaration it is being shipped back to the country of origin from warranty work. Shipping won't be inexpensive but probably less than what you would pay for the repairs out of warranty.

09-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Hey guys, in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

My screw drive totally wonked out on me. The power switch is a bit sticky as well.

I bought this online through Adorama and the authorized Pentax repair centre near my house says Ricoh made the decision that since I technically bought it through an American dealer, the warranty does not include it.

The estimate is about 250$ for fixing the screw drive and replacing the power button.

It's a bit steep, should I just bite the bullet and pay for it? Or try and go without it and just use HSM/SDM lenses from now on? The power button is not a make or break.

Alternatively I could ship it to the US and have it under warranty there while paying for tarifs and taxes and the sort.

Help guys

I love my k-3 to death, and my DA 50 1.8 as well.

Thanks!
I would get it serviced in the US. As others have pointed out, customs fees won't apply since the item isn't being imported. However, the service center will most likely refuse to ship the camera back to Canada, so you'd have to find someone who lives in the US to act as the middleman.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Your U.S. warranty only covers cameras physically located (i.e. shipped from) within the U.S. borders. At issue are the complexities of shipping it back to you (customs labels and such). The same is true for Ricoh/Pentax Canada and cameras that have migrated south of the border post-purchase. If you have a friend in Michigan or New York, hand carrying across the border and shipping from there might be your best alternative. You might want to contact Ricoh/Pentax Canada directly to see if they might offer you a variance to their normal policy.

BTW...photographic cameras and lenses pass duty-free across the U.S./Canada border (both directions).

Steve
09-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your U.S. warranty only covers cameras physically located (i.e. shipped from) within the U.S. borders. At issue are the complexities of shipping it back to you (customs labels and such). The same is true for Ricoh/Pentax Canada and cameras that have migrated south of the border post-purchase. If you have a friend in Michigan or New York, hand carrying across the border and shipping from there might be your best alternative. You might want to contact Ricoh/Pentax Canada directly to see if they might offer you a variance to their normal policy.

BTW...photographic cameras and lenses pass duty-free across the U.S./Canada border (both directions).

Steve
I did not know that.
09-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I did not know that.
I have bought/sold photo stuff over the border and also know how to read the tariff tables (long story)*. As for the warranty details, there were a couple of user issues a few months back involving cameras that had traveled from Canada to the U.S. and vice versa. Both Ricoh/Pentax Canada and Ricoh/Pentax USA Web sites are quite explicit regarding conditions for warranty service...or at least they were a month or so ago

Steve

* Canada has "most favored nation" status and import tariffs to the U.S. are pretty lax for most classes of goods. The neighbors to the north are good enough to reciprocate, for the most part.

09-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the replies guys! Sorry for the late reply.

I did not know about the camera situation with Canada/US. I've been tariffed up the... Before and was prettt fed up with that. (I feel everyone has at one point)

Hopefully knowing that I am not as hessitant to
Send it over.

Is it being sent to precision? I've heard some weird things about the QC before. Is that something I should worry about? (sorry not trying to start another thread)