Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You have to show "intent to deprive".
That's why it's not a criminal case. But to the camera owner, it feels the same, regardless of the intent. And for somebody who paid extra for an extended warranty, it would feel like robbery even more.

09-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's the rub.
That and someone that knows how parts should be made using the right kind of CNC machine and the knowledge in how to program the machine.

---------- Post added 09-19-15 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I wonder if there are shops that will fix your 7 year old appliance. All the appliance repair shops around here have gone out of business.

The only flaw in the way this story happened is the lack of information. The repair isn't going to happen because it won't be worth it. Knowing that on the first contact would be nice.

I've repeated this and will repeat again. Anything under $2000 is probably not worth fixing. There are retired guys working out of their basements, and more power to them.

They are too complex to repair, the level of competence required to do the repairs is too expensive.

This isn't Ricoh or Pentax. A friend uses a Nikon 2x extender, a very nice piece of glass, retails around $600 cad. The aperture lever was sticking. He sent it in and two months later after a bunch of calls and emails found out that there were no parts. He wasted two months of his life, and an enormous amount of time and energy banging his head on a wall.

Get used to it. Throw it away. Collectively we have decided we don't want to pay the cost of maintaining a service organization, so they don't exist.
Actually a lot of things are not as difficult to fix as many believe.

A few months ago I bought brand new appliances for the home I moved into only to find out that the previous owner built the house with the dryer venter coming out of the bottom of the dryer...not the back near the bottom...the bottom. I then found out that many dryers are built so they could be vented out the bottom with an optional bottom vent kit. I figured it couldn't be that tough. All I would need to do us punch out the sheet metal cutaway and use the elbow that came with the kit. Well...the elbow in no way would fit through the opening. I figured I would have to call a service guy. I decided to see if I could find any instructions online. What I found was a video about how to replace the belt on the drum. Basically you need yo disassemble the entire dryer to remove the drum to replace the belt. I then followed the video and took it one step further to install the elbow. It took me a whole 30 minutes. It wasn't that difficult as long as you find the right video.
09-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
When the majority of the posts of a single page on the thread say 'stevebrot' (some back to back to back) it is obvious to see!
I should have nested them into a single post, but was lazy.

Steve
09-20-2015, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
And for somebody who paid extra for an extended warranty, it would feel like robbery even more.
Well, I suppose they could refund the $20 USD for the warranty and call it defective rather than the camera.

Steve

09-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, I suppose they could refund the $20 USD for the warranty and call it defective rather than the camera.
You're a man with all the answers!
12-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #96

I've read the reviews, and it's a wonder Precision is still in business. Is this really the only repair hub in the country? It's a pity cameras can't be shipped to a Pentax repair hub in Japan, if indeed one exists. It would behoove Pentax to start their own repair site.
12-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
I've read the reviews, and it's a wonder Precision is still in business. Is this really the only repair hub in the country? It's a pity cameras can't be shipped to a Pentax repair hub in Japan, if indeed one exists. It would behoove Pentax to start their own repair site.
You have awakened a Zombie Thread!!!

I assume you aware that Ricoh is not the only camera company that has an exclusive warranty service contract with Precision.* It would appear that the economics of warranty repair in the U.S. favor such an arrangement.

As for Japan...Yes, one can send equipment for repair in Japan, though one would be responsible for shipping expenses both ways as well as responsibility for making sure the package clears customs.

Steve

* I don't know what the current list looks like, but in the past Precision was authorized for warranty service on all major brands and (IIRC) had exclusive contracts for Ricoh/Pentax, Sony, Olympus, and Fuji.
12-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #98
Pentaxian

* I don't know what the current list looks like, but in the past Precision was authorized for warranty service on all major brands and (IIRC) had exclusive contracts for Ricoh/Pentax, Sony, Olympus, and Fuji.
Nikon, Canon, Ricoh/Pentax, Sony and Olympus all use Precision. Sony and Olympus were exclusive with Precision but have added a service center. Olympus offers a one hour drop off service for both warranty and out of warranty work. Walk-in, leave it with a tech. If parts are available repair and repairable in one hour. Otherwise the tech will inform you within the hour if it is repairable or if parts need to be ordered.

Fuji no longer uses Precision.

12-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I do wish Pentax would do would be to stock a better parts depot here in the US. There are always going to be instances of where a particular part is out of stock, however - there does appear to be an awful lot of folks indicating that their cameras are in "waiting for parts" hell.

12-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
What I do wish Pentax would do would be to stock a better parts depot here in the US. There are always going to be instances of where a particular part is out of stock, however - there does appear to be an awful lot of folks indicating that their cameras are in "waiting for parts" hell.

I can't even get an answer from Pentax on a warranty registration on my new K1, not sure their data base is working. They don't reply like they say they would, overall, real poor.
12-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't even get an answer from Pentax on a warranty registration on my new K1, not sure their data base is working. They don't reply like they say they would, overall, real poor.
Ricoh/Pentax does not require product registration. Keep your receipt from an authorized dealer and all should be well should you require warranty service. If you still have questions, you can ping the Ricoh/Pentax customer service reps directly here on Pentax Forums:

Ask Ricoh Imaging Support - PentaxForums.com

Steve
12-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #102

Ricoh/Pentax does not require product registration. Keep your receipt from an authorized dealer and all should be well should you require warranty service. If you still have questions, you can ping the Ricoh/Pentax customer service reps directly here on Pentax Forums:

Ask Ricoh Imaging Support - PentaxForums.com

Steve
Thanks Steve, I've spoken with two of them and they never mentioned what you said. Said they would e-mailed someone who works with the data base and would get back to me. At least they could do is tell me that instead of leaving me hanging.

Regards,

Paul
12-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Steve, I've spoken with two of them and they never mentioned what you said.
Well, that is strange! The terms are outlined on page 131 of the English user manual as well an equivalent version on the Ricoh Imaging USA Web site. Unfortunately, there is also a (apparently) non-functional product registration form on that same site intended to serve some marketing function. Clearly, the Webmaster is not doing their job.

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/support/warranty-repair/warranty-information

Steve
12-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #104
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, that is strange! The terms are outlined on page 131 of the English user manual as well an equivalent version on the Ricoh Imaging USA Web site. Unfortunately, there is also a (apparently) non-functional product registration form on that same site intended to serve some marketing function. Clearly, the Webmaster is not doing their job.

Warranty Information
Clearly more than just a webmaster issue... there seems to be a lack of communication within RIAC NA if situations such as this are still occurring.

I mean shouldn't customer support already know the policies of the company.. esp ones that would be asked of them regularly by customers?
12-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #105

Mee, You would think so. I'm going to call Pentax today and ask the question, it irks the hell out of me that they won't respond. If this is so, why do they bother asking you to register via Pentax web site.

"This repair service applies to the repair of aperture control block failure in several Pentax DSLR models including the K-30, K-50, K-r, K-x, K100D, and most older istD models. This list may not be complete. Aperture control block failure is most common in the K-30."

The company called dslrparts has been around for a long time. Recently, they have set up Pentax camera repair. Above, is a cut and paste from their web site. I called and sent e-mail, but haven't heard back yet. This is all they do, fix aperture problems. so Pentax has known about this problem for years.

I've bought 4 Pentax cameras in the past 4.5 yrs, now I wonder?

---------- Post added 12-29-16 at 08:29 AM ----------

I did get email back from Pentax camera repair, I'll keep you all posted.