Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multiple good suggestions. My take: The 50mm f1.8 may have better IQ, but a zoom is VASTLY more versatile and I would VERY STRONGLY advise a zoom over an SFL lens. Have owned both a Sigma 17-70 (original version) and a Pentax 18-135 and both have their merits. For best overall IQ, the Sigma wins; but, greater zoom range = greater versatility. A new or used 17-70 Sigma, any version, is probably the best bang-for-buck combination of IQ and versatility. The 18-135 has excellent center IQ, but is significantly softer around the edges. However, many, many images do not have edge details that require really high IQ. The center of interest is, well, in the center, or more specifically around the center third rectangle (one-third of the way in from the edge of the frame). SO, think about what you want to photograph and whether you need a longer FL. 17-70 = bargain and excellent IQ in a zoom; 18-135 = more $, more versatile, lower IQ around the edges but excellent in the center.

PS: Size & weight differences for these two lenses are insignificant.

09-18-2015, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The 50mm f1.8 may have better IQ, but a zoom is VASTLY more versatile and I would VERY STRONGLY advise a zoom over an SFL lens.
As the ONLY lens, yes, I agree - but the fifty is too useful and too cheap IMO to ignore right now; picking it up as able (or trying to get it bundled for a discount) is advisable. Mind you, with that stupidly cheap deal going out the door at the moment (K3 + DA50 + flash; see the price watch forum), having the fifty as the first lens to get you started taking pictures almost makes sense with the body at that price. Forty years ago, that's how every consumer SLR went out the door!
09-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
As the ONLY lens, yes, I agree - but the fifty is too useful and too cheap IMO to ignore right now; picking it up as able (or trying to get it bundled for a discount) is advisable. Mind you, with that stupidly cheap deal going out the door at the moment (K3 + DA50 + flash; see the price watch forum), having the fifty as the first lens to get you started taking pictures almost makes sense with the body at that price. Forty years ago, that's how every consumer SLR went out the door!
No argument that the nifty-fifty price is almost a give-away. If it were within budget, I'd suggest getting the bargain combo AND a used Sigma 17-70 (any version), or adding the latter or the 18-135 ASAP.
09-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One other big advantage of the 18-135 is WR.

09-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

As pathdoc said, the 50mm lens was considered a standard lens in the days of film. With the smaller APS-C sensor in Pentax cameras, 35mm lenses give an equivalent field of view to 50mm lenses on a film camera, so for Pentax 35mm would be the 'normal' lens.

Inside I use my DA 35 more than my DA 50 since you can usually get closer but you can only back up so far when 'zooming with your feet'. Outside I mostly use my 18-135 over my DA 50 since lighting is usually good anyway, so I would recommend the DA 35 over the DA 50 if you purchase the lens separately.

That being said, the kit mentioned above with the DA 50 is a great deal, and you can get a good used 18-135 for about $250 on eBay or a DA 35 for $130 new on Amazon.
09-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My K-3 came with the DA 50/1.8 and I bought the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) specifically to use on the K-3. I could not be happier.

Steve
I own both of these lenses and I will agree that they would make a great starting lineup.