Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DPReview Comments on new Firmware

Pentax K20D firmware prevents pixel problem: Digital Photography Review

They also posted a "Preview" of K20

Pentax K20D: 1. Introduction:

It almost makes you feel like they are building the suspense up or something over there--LOL/

Regards,

Ernest

06-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No Big Deal!

Old news :-) But DPR guys just want the world to know that there is a firmware update just because of they found a bug! (but actually they are not the first one to find it and told the world)

As for the preview, I just wonder why those Pentax fanboys are making flames to DPR on how biased they are and how late is the preview and review (and how early is the Canons). MHO is why don't they think about it is also about Pentax as well. Have they provided the test body and lenses early enough. Do they react fast enough to DPR on their requests and inquiries? .. and so on.

Nonetheless, what's the big deal of a earlier or later preview or reivew btw??

In fact, the preview now posted at the DPR is nothing more information than the official user manual as posted at Pentax official sites months ago! Why bother?!
06-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
RiceHigh: I can not agree more with your observations here. When this review does arrive, it ought to light up this board for a while.

Regards,

Ernest
06-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Old news :-) But DPR guys just want the world to know that there is a firmware update just because of they found a bug! (but actually they are not the first one to find it and told the world)

As for the preview, I just wonder why those Pentax fanboys are making flames to DPR on how biased they are and how late is the preview and review (and how early is the Canons). MHO is why don't they think about it is also about Pentax as well. Have they provided the test body and lenses early enough. Do they react fast enough to DPR on their requests and inquiries? .. and so on.
Not to hijack this thread, but it goes both ways...

Some Canon folks flamed me (in the Pentax forum on DPR) because I found the 40D just as noisy or noisier than the K20D at ISO 1000 or higher in certain circumstances... (underexposures in low light), despite clearly indicating the specific situation. Yet I clearly indicated the Canon was superb in certain circumstances.

One recanted his statements (accusing me of being a Pentax fanboy, etc....) after I sent him some links and asked that he look at those links to prove my competence as a photographer - and included some nice shots taking with Canon gear:
Re: Give me a break: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The bottom line: technical image quality is most important for me, regardless of platform. The scary part is that I found a 40D ISO 800 image (in brighter lighting conditions) at almost the same noise level as the K20D at ISO 1600 shot taken in much dimmer conditions.... The Canon's EV comp was -0.67,, the Pentax EV comp was -1...

I am confused, because either I've got a dud 40D, or they simply go by test results in primarily optimal conditions... and that is gospel... no naysayers allowed. Does this sound familiar?

Regards,
Marc