Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So with the FF postponed to early next year.....

are we going to see a new APS-C flagship before that. Isnt that already due?

If I remember right the rumors was that FF will be released in October and new APS-C early next year.

Culture.

09-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I very much doubt it. The K-3 mark II was only released a couple of months ago.
Let's hope for a few tasty new lenses while we wait!
09-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's hard to see where a new APS-C camera could be positioned, given that the previous entry-level K500 doesn't seem to have sold that well, and the K-S2 looks to be the successor to the K50. There isn't much room in specification terms, let alone price, in between the K-S2 and the K-3/ii. It might be that some of the new features of the forthcoming 35FF body could be integrated into a high-end APS-C body, to create a direct rival to the Nikon D300, but the K-3 is nearly there anyway. Of course, so far we're only considering a DSLR, and there could also be an APS-C body released of the other not-to-be-mentioned-aloud type of ILC...
09-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
18 month between

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
are we going to see a new APS-C flagship before that?
autumn / winter 2016

Not so for a long time...

09-21-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
are we going to see a new APS-C flagship before that. Isnt that already due?
Pentax should focus all their energy on releasing the FF. Once that's done, then they can do a new APS-C flagship. The FF needs to be finished.

If the FF has some innovations and interesting tech, as has been suggested, the new APS-C flagship may be able to inherit some of that.
09-21-2015, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I for one, am not in a hurry for the FF release. I would rather see that they get it perfect before it hits the market.
09-21-2015, 02:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I for one, am not in a hurry for the FF release. I would rather see that they get it perfect before it hits the market.
Could not agree more!

09-21-2015, 03:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I do not expect a new APSC model to be released prior or during the FF development phase and release. I guess that a new APSC model may be developed with a new 28Mp or 30Mp BSI sensor, after the FF will be fully released. What to do for the time being? Consolidate our APSC setup (get this lens that we don't have or sell the lens that we don't use), and/or save money for a full frame (either Pentax or Nikon or anything that's going to come next). I think we're at an interesting time, who knows if the FF DLSR will because the new mainstream, or mirroless, or if APSC will still remain as most used type of camera (excluding cameraphones). If the FF DSLR prices do not drop a bit, I don't see how FF DSLR could spread more; mirrorless is nice in terms of price, size and weight, but does not do as much as DSLR can do.
09-21-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finishing off the FF is not going to occupy the entire Pentax development team. Whether the remainder are working on the next APS-C, the next Q or the next 645 is an unknown, but they'll be working on something, probably all three and maybe a few more.
09-21-2015, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Who said the FF has been postponed?
There was never any official release date.
09-21-2015, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Who said the FF has been postponed?
The FF was not postponed, it was expected to be launched to market end of 2015, written after CP+ 2015 press announcement, and since last week someone updated the www.pentax.com with the message "Full Frame by Pentax, 2016 spring debut". Saying that FF was postponed is abusive, it has only been delayed (or not) by unknown amount of time since we don't know what was the original target date and we also don't know what will be the actual release date.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-21-2015 at 04:42 AM.
09-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think we'll see any new bodies or lenses released this year. Ricoh may be doing production runs of their current models to build up inventory for the holiday season. They're probably also getting ready for holiday pricing too. I'm guessing we'll see the FF body first followed by updated entry level model (K-S3?) and then we'll see a new APS body. Having three active bodies ought to be plenty.
09-21-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The FF was not postponed, it was expected to be launched to market end of 2015, written after CP+ 2015 press announcement, and since last week someone updated the www.pentax.com with the message "Full Frame by Pentax, 2016 spring debut". Saying that FF was postponed is abusive, it has only been delayed (or not) by unknown amount of time since we don't know what was the original target date and we also don't know what will be the actual release date.
It has been delayed for at least two years. First, 24MP as competior of Canon 6D and Nikon 610 and now might change sensor again due to market change?.
09-21-2015, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
If perfection is what's needed then I think it won't ever be released. At some point, you just have to go with it.
09-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
It has been delayed for at least two years. First, 24MP as competior of Canon 6D and Nikon 610 and now might change sensor again due to market change?.
No, it hasn't been 2 years.

There were hopes and wishes from a lot of people for years, but when the actual, official news was given that they are working on the FF is not too long ago. And based on what they promised, they are only delayed for roughly 6 months. Where did you come up with the 2 years?