Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

KEH

Curious if anyone has had good luck selling product through KEH? Any surprises on determined value once the product arrives to them?

09-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've only had one item that wasn't what I graded it. It was a K 55/1.8 that they said was BGN instead of EX.

But over all I think you would be better off going through the trouble of selling it yourself...

Though I am tempted to trade my FA 50/1.7. They do give a very good price for that one.
09-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold various lenses through them. They take a little longer than other buyers, because it takes 3 days (at least) to check out the equipment. Usually you get an average price, not as high as some, but not as low as some either. The good/bad thing is that they don't find a reason why they decided on the price they gave you. It's more like a take-it-or-leave-it thing via email. Another thing I like about them is that you can either request a check, or have the money deposited to your account. Keep in mind that there is a $25+ fee for any wire transfers.

---------- Post added 09-21-15 at 04:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
if you choose the paypal account, it is the normal 3% fee.

Definitely lower prices than you can sell here on the forum but also much less hassle imho. They have roadtrips now and then to buy equipment and I was the first one there with 5 lenses to sell. Also have sent a few items to their GA office and things went smoothly. YMMV...
3% can be a lot of money depending on the equipment...
09-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I sold various lenses through them. They take a little longer than other buyers, because it takes 3 days (at least) to check out the equipment. Usually you get an average price, not as high as some, but not as low as some either. The good/bad thing is that they don't find a reason why they decided on the price they gave you. It's more like a take-it-or-leave-it thing via email. Another thing I like about them is that you can either request a check, or have the money deposited to your account. Keep in mind that there is a $25+ fee for any wire transfers.

if you choose the paypal account, it is the normal 3% fee deducted.

Definitely lower prices than you can sell here on the forum but also much less hassle imho. They have roadtrips now and then to buy equipment and I was the first one there with 5 lenses to sell. Also have sent a few items to their GA office and things went smoothly. YMMV...especially if you have abused your equipment or if lenses have fungus/oil (they will rightfully reject it).....

09-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
I may go that route...just to make it easy. I'm in GA next month...so may just stop in
09-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

They took their road show to Vancouver WA where I met with them and did a deal with a body plus a couple of lenses. They were reasonable and honest - for a few lenses their buy price was low so I kept them as they suggested. Prices are based on supply and demand, so they may have too many of your item already in hand at any given moment.
09-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

They seem to be fair ..

If you sell yourself you have 3% paypal fees, shipping cost. Depending on what your selling that could cut into any profits you had planned.

if you figure those into what they give you for your equipment it becomes reasonable to sell through them.

I agree it's a little slow.

09-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I've sold a few items to KEH (in person at one of their announced visits to a spot not too far from me). It certainly is about the easiest way to sell gear, but the prices offered seem rather meager (IMHO). It's better (profit-wise) to sell here (or on eBay) if you want a fair return, but you do have to go through a bit of extra work. But it's better (effort-wise) to sell to KEH if you want a minimum of hassle.
09-21-2015, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
They took their road show to Vancouver WA where I met with them and did a deal with a body plus a couple of lenses. They were reasonable and honest - for a few lenses their buy price was low so I kept them as they suggested. Prices are based on supply and demand, so they may have too many of your item already in hand at any given moment.
How long ago was that? I would have ran down from Bremerton for that one.
09-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
How long ago was that? I would have ran down from Bremerton for that one.
Agreed -- same here.
09-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another one here. I concur with the above statements. I got an estimate via their online tool, got a free shipping label from them, mailed 3 lenses. Final offer was same as estimate and I got a check in the mail in a couple of weeks. I probably could have gotten more money selling them individually but I was too lazy to put in the time and effort.
09-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've only had one item that wasn't what I graded it. It was a K 55/1.8 that they said was BGN instead of EX
Hmm, I've bought a K 55 f/1.8 from KEH that was aesthetically excellent, yet listed a bargain. It doesn't focus to infinity, so maybe that's the reason? Anyway, the condition looks nothing like the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 I bought of KEH in BGN condition who has the matte finish material wearing off all over the place. Anyway... this may be small-world phenomenon going on here.
09-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #13

I sold them a Tamron 18 - 200mm lens a couple of years ago. I got a fair price for it, especially considering what I paid for it.
09-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

the only problem that i've had with keh purchasing my gear is with film camera bodies, because i don't know squat about 'em, so i've sent some junk in that they have rejected.

keh both buys and sells decentered glass, they don't seem to put lenses on cameras and actually test 'em... it's all about appearance and aperture functionality.
09-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Same here. It really boils down to what they value in terms of supply & demand. Have recently sold stuff to them in person, and have shipped items to them occasionally in the past. It's always played out the same & is just a piece by piece situation.