Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 05:25 AM   #1

Is time to change camera Samsung Gx 1S (*ist DS2)

Hello,

I am wondering if is a good time to change my old DSLR Samsung Gx 1S. I am really like this camera. And I like photos I've took with.
Is it worth to change a camera body, or maybe it be better to keep work with?

My budget is tight.

09-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Almach9 Quote
Hello,

I am wondering if is a good time to change my old DSLR Samsung Gx 1S. I am really like this camera. And I like photos I've took with.

My budget is tight.
If you like it keep it. What is your budget though? If it is still going the KS1 is at 199 new in some places, and it is a 20mp camera with ISO 100-51,200 and selectable AA filter. You would notice a huge improvement. If you could swing a K3 that's the best upgrade right now at 649 including a flash and a 50mm prime in places. If used look for one of the K5 versions or even a K50.
09-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you like it keep it. What is your budget though? If it is still going the KS1 is at 199 new in some places, and it is a 20mp camera with ISO 100-51,200 and selectable AA filter. You would notice a huge improvement. If you could swing a K3 that's the best upgrade right now at 649 including a flash and a 50mm prime in places. If used look for one of the K5 versions or even a K50.
I do not want spend more than £300.
Just wondering, if I will see really huge improvement in a quality of my photos. I do not make more than 3-5000 photos per year. Although I understand, that my old camera is a dinosaur on DSLR market at the moment
09-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really good shooter can take great shots with most any camera, but the limitations will certainly limit his/her creativity. The new cameras have features we only dreamed of a few years ago, and right now the prices are ridiculously low for a K3 upgrade.
I bought my K5IIs for less than what I paid for my Fuji Toy Camera X20, and in no way can the X20 compare with the IQ of my K5IIs...or the K3.

This is a great time to make a leap forward. You will be amazed when you shoot at ISO 6400 and still get a usable shot........like this...sometimes the light is not half bad, but you need speed.....so if your camera can deliver speed at a high ISO and still get you a shot, you will get more shots that you can use.

ISO 6400 1/250

...but that is only one benefit of the newer Pentax cameras, there are too many others to list here, but all of them could help you to have more pleasure in your shooting experience.

So yes indeed! Get yourself a new Pentax and you will have no regrets.
Best Regards!

09-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Emperor and Senpai

Just wondering, if I will see really huge improvement in a quality of my photos. I do not make more than 3-5000 photos per year. Although I understand, that my old camera is a dinosaur on DSLR market at the moment
Check out this deal and see if you can get B&H or Adorama to match it, or one fo them to ship to wherever you are: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/304018-pentax-ks-1-...199-samys.html

That would likely be a monstrous improvement in dynamic range, autofocus performance, sharpness and resolution, pretty much all around. The downside is this one is more of an entry level (but certainly wasn't priced like one when it came out) and lacks a top LCD and WR.
09-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #6

Just wondering, if I will see really huge improvement in a quality of my photos
I sold my K-5 in very good condition with a 9,000 shutter count for £176 on eBay. I would look for something similar if I were you. Of course the photographer is arguably more important than the camera but for improved AF, sensor performance, low-light ability, etc there should be a notable increase.
09-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hello,

My budget is tight.
Many have said it here. You have a lot of used options available to you. I would start by looking at cameras K-5/ K-30 or newer. In my opinion, you can find outstanding deals on K-30, K-50, K-S1, K-5, K-01 cameras in the marketplace or on ebay. If I had to suggest cameras I would push you towards the K-S2 since this seems to pack the biggest bang for buck, but we are a few months away from these cameras being in your price range. You will see significant improvements by upgrading your camera though and now is probably the time to do it. Happy hunting!
09-22-2015, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hello,

My budget is tight.
The tech in recent cameras is way ahead of what's in your Samsung; I would recommend upgrading to the K-50 (a new one is just $294) and focusing on lenses thereafter. While the person behind the camera is what matters most, newer bodies give you more flexibility in accomplishing the task at hand without getting in your way

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #9

Well, for a different perspective...

Like you, I had been thinking of upgrading from my K100D super, which is a really similar camera to yours. I absolutely love the K100DS, but as I was buying a tripod, I noticed the K-50 was only $300, so I couldn't resist. Well, it just arrived today.

... and I don't know. I'm 100% sure the image quality will be improved, but the new camera just doesn't feel as nice.

Some of my initial let downs:

- Rather than spring loaded doors, there are blobs of rubber that you have to shove in place to guard the power and USB ports. I hate it, and I will be surprised if they still work well after 8 years of use.

- There doesn't seem to be any way to turn off the big LCD screen by default. You can turn it off via menu settings.. and then when you cycle power on the camera, it's back on. Wasting your battery.

- You can't disable GPS, so it's also wasting your battery. (And being one more creepy tracking device.)

- The pop-up flash hook is plastic... definitely doesn't seem as solid as the K100

- It just doesn't feel as up-scale as the old camera does. The plastic doesn't feel as nice (obviously this is totally subjective, and could easily just be an "aw, it's different" reaction on my part), the wheels don't feel as nice and the battery compartment door just plain feels fragile compared to the K100 (it might not be fragile, but the old one feels like a tank in comparison). There's not top LCD.. which I knew, but it still sucks.

Now, I bought it because I wanted higher resolution (6mp doesn't leave much room for cropping, and the fact that the K100 only went down to ISO200 means that its pixels were too large), faster shooting, faster saving to SD card and better auto focus.

I'm sure the new camera will be better in those areas, and that's what's important.

But I'm also pretty sure I won't love this camera in every way, like I did my old one. And that makes me a little sad.

Last edited by cletus1jr; 09-23-2015 at 01:49 AM.
09-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cletus1jr Quote
But I'm also pretty sure I won't love this camera in every way, like I did my old one. And that makes me a little sad.
It is just an adjustment period. At first you probably take the same shots with the new camera that you would take with the K100DS, in the same way. It seems the same except why is this K50 so heavy. And hey, this ISO100 means my shutter speed is slower. And they moved the image review button. Once you find a few useful features and moved buttons, you start to get used to the K50. Then it's more like, wow, this screen really shows detail. And I had no idea how useful bracketing or high-speed burst was. Give it a month and when you go back to the K100DS, wow, the AF is super slow.
09-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I will start looking for a new camera, with at least 16MB sensor shortly.
09-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There are lots of good bargains out there. I'm sure you'll find something that's right for your needs. Those older camera bodies don't fetch much on the second-hand market so you might just be better off holding onto it as a backup. It's fun every now and then to pull out an older camera, just for the heck of it. I do this sometimes with my K110D.
09-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
- You can't disable GPS, so it's also wasting your battery. (And being one more creepy tracking device.)
The K-50 doesn't have GPS...
09-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #14

Oh you're right. I was thrown off by the menu option about how often it updates GPS. I guess it's only used if you actually attach a GPS unit.

Cool, the camera is less creepy now.

QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
The K-50 doesn't have GPS...
09-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Emperor and Senpai

Oh you're right. I was thrown off by the menu option about how often it updates GPS. I guess it's only used if you actually attach a GPS unit.

Cool, the camera is less creepy now.
Yep, it is for the OGPS-1 unit.