Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Getting a K20D

Greetings everyone!

After reading many reviews and the like, I settled on getting a Pentax K20D. I won't be able to get one just now, but I'd like to plan ahead and decide on what other things to buy.

A Bag.
Would this one be sufficient? What exactly can it hold? The site I would buy it from says a DSLR and two lenses.

An extra battery.
Don't know much about these, but there's only two Pentax ones I can find here, an original Pentax D-Li50 and an Ansmann D-Li50 which is much cheaper. Is it's performance much lower?

A memory card.
I've thought about a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III. Is the speed difference between them very apparent in use?

I hope I'm not forgetting something here, if I am, please remind me. =p

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your answers!

- Matej

06-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
A lens, perhaps?

06-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your decision to go the K20D way, I´m convinced you wont regret it.
When it comes to bags I myself use a Lovepro Slingback AW300. It have plenty of room for my growing collection of equipment, it´s comfortable to carry and have easy access.
I also have a Ansman battery and IMHO there is no difference in performance compared to the Pentax cell.
When it comes to the cards, get the fastest you can afford. I use both the Ultra II and the Extreme II and the speed difference is noticeable. Good luck with your new Pentax
06-21-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
A lens? Didn't forget about that, just atm don't need help in that range.

To PFH:
It's kinda hard to find bags around here. The shops I checked either don't sell camera bags or only Kata. The online shops I was looking at though, don't really have a LowePro selection (maybe 2 or so bags each), there's mostly Vanguard and Tamrac.
And thanks for pointing out that Ansmann batteries work just as good. =)

06-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #5

Greetings everyone!

After reading many reviews and the like, I settled on getting a Pentax K20D. I won't be able to get one just now, but I'd like to plan ahead and decide on what other things to buy.

A Bag.
Would this one be sufficient? What exactly can it hold? The site I would buy it from says a DSLR and two lenses.

An extra battery.
Don't know much about these, but there's only two Pentax ones I can find here, an original Pentax D-Li50 and an Ansmann D-Li50 which is much cheaper. Is it's performance much lower?

A memory card.
I've thought about a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III. Is the speed difference between them very apparent in use?

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your answers!

- Matej
Hi I have just purchased a K20D 16-45 kit and Im enjoying every minute of it
It is well built and feels solid and rubust
I would like a spare battery and a remote control in the near future
I have just purchased a couple of sandisk extreme III 2 GB cards and Im waiting for the 8gb version to be delivered (£28.99 from AMAZON inc p&p)
I am using photoshop CS3 extended to help keep things in some sort of order.
The CS3 has more than enough applications than I will ever need

The only other thing I would like is a larger screen than the 20" one I have
06-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
A lens, perhaps?

I advise against buying a lens. They're quite expensive and you can't just have one (1). They tend to breed like rabbits and eat money like bunnies in the cabbage patch too.
06-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Forum Member

May I suggest you buy the largest bag you feel you need, then go one size larger. I bought a Lowepro Magnum and have filled it to the brim. :-) (Yup, those lenses reproduce, I'm sure.)

Have you checked B&H (B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders) for the bags you are interested in? I've bought lots of gear from them at great prices. Even to Canada I've received everything quickly and without incident.

One more suggestion...the battery grip. I love it. Especially when using a large lens, it really helps balance the camera and makes it 200 time easier to hold.

06-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I advise against buying a lens. They're quite expensive and you can't just have one (1). They tend to breed like rabbits and eat money like bunnies in the cabbage patch too.

Good one! I wish someone would have warned me.
06-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Hi Matej (Nanthiel)

You can purchase official Pentax 'branded' D-L150 7.4v 1620 mAh LIon batteries, but I'll warn you now that they cost between 4 to 5 times the retail price of alternative suppliers. I purchased my 3rd party batteries from SRS Watford (recommended UK store) last year for only £10.00 each inc VAT (tax).

SRS Microsystems ? Pentax, Nikon and Olympus Digital Cameras, Camera Accessories and Lenses

These batteries are often referred to as NP400 (Minolta), which was the description that the now defunct company previously used, prior to their takeover by Sony. The NP400 has a marginally shorter 1500 mAh capacity, but you honestly won't notice this much in normal day-to-day usage. For a useful discussion regarding alternative batteries for the K20D/K10D, simply click-on the following link below.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/134253-post5.html

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-21-2008 at 09:15 AM.
06-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #10

Slow flash - fill in flash - k100d

sorry... just pressed the wrong button
06-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You can find the LowePro bags listed on Amazon for a good price. I bought the Slingshot 200 a couple of months ago and I like it. However, I only have the K100D, 18-55 kit lens, and the Tamron 70-300, and I have plenty of room.
06-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, about the online sites you refer, I'm not quite sure if they send to Europe, Slovenia, Maribor, and if they do, the postage is sick, and so is the tax. Sure there's less selection here, but I'm on a limited budget and sending stuff over from America to central Europe costs.
06-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I can send you my "HOLGA" 60mm plastic 3 element fixed f 11.0 lens. That should bring out the best from the 14.6 mega pixel sensor.

I can send it to you if you send me 1200 euros for postage and handling...

Ben
06-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I wanted my K20D with a cheap SD card to use it day one, so i went for one of Adorama's "kits", came with a spare battery (a little more capacity than the Pentax one) a cheap Kingston 2GB (i know it will save my day when i leave my Ultra II 4GB in the card reader some day) and the Adorama slinger bag, it's so small i thought i'd never really use it, but now it houses my K20D w/ attached 16-50 (hood off to the side), Meccablitz 48 AF-1, S-M-C 135/3.5, SMS 28/2.8 CF, DA 40/2.8 and Tamron 90/2.5 adaptal.

I think if i move the Meccablitz to the net pouch on outside i can neatly take a K20D+16-50/2.8 +50-135/2.8 kit in this bag w/o sacrificing the shorter primes or macro lens, i might find the 135/3.5 a home in a dry dark drawer perhaps and instead add the Super-Takumar 50/1.4.

SLBK Adorama Slinger Bag, Single Strap Backpack / Shoulder Bag, Black. i guess compare its size with then one you linked to to give you an idea how much one can fit in it.
06-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, about the online sites you refer, I'm not quite sure if they send to Europe, Slovenia, Maribor, and if they do, the postage is sick, and so is the tax. Sure there's less selection here, but I'm on a limited budget and sending stuff over from America to central Europe costs.
I bought a Crumpler bag from a place in Wales. Even with shipping to Ireland the price was reasonable. I am sure you can find online retailers in EU that will ship to you.

There are many threads on bags so your time is best spent reading them if you want more info. I think no matter what you get you will want more than one. Right now the Crumpler Pretty Boy 7500 (XXXL) is good for walks when I want to carry three lenses and accessories with my camera. I also have a small shoulder bag with little padding that is perfect for the K100DS plus a smallish lens. That's what I take when I don't think I'll be taking photos (since I always do).

But I still need a backpack for longer hikes and walks with more exertion.

P.S. Off-brand batteries are just as good as branded ones.