Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
I will be in Kenya for a family wedding and am planning to visit Masai Mara region for 4 days.
Looking for equipment/lens suggestions to go along with the K3. I have lenses like the 55-300, 31/43/77, sigma 70-200/2.8. I believe that it's not safe to lug expensive equipment so am also wondering if I should just take a Panasonic LUMIX LX-100. Any suggestions?
What version of the sigma zoom?

If it is an early screw drive, hey not get a 2x TC, take the sigma zoom, and a couple of short lenses. Maybe just the 31/43mm and that's it. Light, simple, not too big to really look expensive, and well within any one's carry on weight limit.

You will find yourself looking mostly at tele shots any ways, but the sigma without TC can work well at night, and you could also take the Lumix for the wider shots, and just go with the Pentax and sigma for tele shots

09-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #17

Reply to Les;
It was all my journeys to Africa that make me start using plastic boxes.
Yes, I fill up the empty space with pieces of bubble plastic etc.
Because I am frequently visiting Shanghai/ China I use the occasion to bring my new lenses to shopping centers with large dept for Kitchen equipments. Very often I find boxes with optimal length/width. They are strong. Back home in Norway they keep the snow and humidity out when touring during winter time. I've done this for years and no problems. As long as you're aware of the risk of condense.
09-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabola Quote
Reply to Les;
It was all my journeys to Africa that make me start using plastic boxes.
Yes, I fill up the empty space with pieces of bubble plastic etc.
Because I am frequently visiting Shanghai/ China I use the occasion to bring my new lenses to shopping centers with large dept for Kitchen equipments. Very often I find boxes with optimal length/width. They are strong. Back home in Norway they keep the snow and humidity out when touring during winter time. I've done this for years and no problems. As long as you're aware of the risk of condense.
Sounds like a very good idea. My concern was of the lenses loosely rattling around in plastic container. But packing them tightly with bubble wrap, as you do, handles that issue well.

Thanks for the tip. One can learn a lot of good ideas on this forum.

Les
10-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses. Due to logistics issues, it appears that we will be going to East Tsavo, West Savo and Amboseli Park instead. Will the 50-500 Bigma be a good choice?

10-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

A couple of things I have learned from my trips:
- I always keep my gear with me as hand luggage, without exception. May take a bit of negotiating at check-in, but is certainly worthwhile.
- Kenya is one of the more organized places in Africa. However,Nairobi (including the airport) and other cities and towns cannot be considered totally safe for western tourists. Especially if you do not know the places. Countryside resorts and lodges are usually safe, provided your tour organizer is doing a good job. Many of the places look like military camps with barbed wire fences and guards with assault rifles. Beggars and pedlars are a nuisance all over the place.
-If you travel to the destination by road, the main road from Nairobi is reasonably good. However, eventually you end up on small roads, and the going gets rough. Have your gear properly packed.
- Most of the Masai Mara region and other wildlife sanctuaries are fairly flat, at least the areas where game drives are organized. The vehicles are usually open-top minibusses or Land Rovers. Depending on the time of the year there is a fair amount of dust flying around. The less you need to change lenses, the better. Anyway be prepared to do a sensor cleanup for your camera, if necessary. Power cuts are common in the countryside, always have spare batteries available.
- Masai Mara and the sanctuaries in Kenya are usually much more authentic than for example many of the parks in South Africa. The downside is that you often have to shoot from a greater distance, and therefore need longer lenses. My standard lens kit is DA*16-50/2,8, FA*80-200/2,8, Sigma 300/2,8 and Sigma 500/4,5, which covers practically all my needs. For the longer lenses I have monopods, which can be used when shooting from a car without sacrificing your mobility. Bean bags have also proven very useful.

And finally a word of warning: the nature in Africa may turn out addictive