Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

camera upgrade

I have a k20d and am lntrested in upgrading (staying with pentax) what would be a good up grade? Also would any one know if my k20 d lenses will work on the new ff when out?<br />
Thanks

09-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

K3 and yes they will.
09-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything is a good upgrade from the K20 in terms of currently produced or recently produced cameras. The K50/K30 are weather sealed 16mp enthusiast cameras - They only differ in styling really. They lack the top lcd but have almost everything else you could want. The KS2 is a 20mp with a few features knocked out (no optically triggered P-TTL flash master/controller function, not as many frames per second, not as large a buffer, but with a selectable AA filter and fantastic sensor. The KS1 is a non-weather sealed version of the KS2 - with some gaudy lights. The K5/K5ii/K5iis series are no longer made but are similar to the top of the line K3 - pro level features, top lcd, etc. The iis has no AA filter. The K3 is awesome and has everything but the kitchen sink and 24mp.

Is there a budget?

I'm not sure what K2 d lenses are. Is that a typo? Was it meant to be K20D? If so yes they all work great. If you meant K2 - the film era lenses that fit it almost all work great - a few have some large flanges that have to be modified or removed to avoid hitting internal parts on the modern digitals.
09-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
I have a k20d and am lntrested in upgrading (staying with pentax) what would be a good up grade? Also would any one know if my k20 d lenses will work on the new ff when out?<br />
Thanks
The K-3 would be the obvious upgrade choice, until the FF is released. Your lenses will work with the FF, although if they only support the APS-C image circle, then the FF will only allow them to be used in crop mode.

09-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The KS2 is a 20mp with a few features knocked out
But also plenty of features present in the K-3 but not the K-50, such as manual flash intensity control, AA filter simulator, diffraction correction, - 3EV AF, etc.

I'd classify the K-30/K-50/K-S2 as different generations mid-range / upper entry-level, with the K-S1 lacking some of the K-S2's features and thus being entry-level.

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
I have a k20d and am lntrested in upgrading (staying with pentax) what would be a good up grade? Also would any one know if my k20 d lenses will work on the new ff when out?
Like others have said, the K-3 is going to be your go-to upgrade path. You can keep all of our existing lenses.
Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-3 + Lens for $649 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

For me:

K3 upper level pro body
K50 - closest to that
KS2 - more resolution sensor but fewer features; other than AA filter.
KS1 - Entry level with same sensor as KS2.

The most important point being - all of them produce great photos. If you want a battery grip - only the K3 on this list will do. K5/K5ii/K5iis are older generation cameras you should look at also if grip is needed and K3 is not the right price point.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-23-2015 at 01:50 PM.
09-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I went from a K20D to a K-30 and it was a huge upgrade, K-50, K-S2, and K-3 are all even bigger upgrades from the K20D. If you can afford one of the K-3s that's the way to go. If not either the K-50 or K-S2 will still be a great upgrade.
09-24-2015, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Before you decide on which model is best for you, you should make a list of which features from the K20D are a must on your next camera. When I upgraded from my DS to the K-r, I wanted one with adjustable focal points and AA battery capability.

You can then use the Pentax Camera Comparison feature in the Database drop down menu.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/

Tim

09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I had my heart on the K-S2 because of the articulating screen. However, I do use the top LCD on my K10D quite a bit, as the back LCD is worthless in sunlight; so now it looks like my next upgrade will be the K-3, since the K-S2 does not have this feature.
09-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I had my heart on the K-S2 because of the articulating screen. However, I do use the top LCD on my K10D quite a bit, as the back LCD is worthless in sunlight; so now it looks like my next upgrade will be the K-3, since the K-S2 does not have this feature.
I have the K-3 and in sunlight I don't see much difficulty with the back LCD - nor did I with my K-50. I wouldn't want to use it for LiveView in some circumstances but for reading status info - no worries. Also the articulating screen on the KS-2 means you can adjust the angle to avoid the worst glare. I think not having the top LCD may be OK. I came to the K-50 from a K100D Super which had the top LCD - I thought it would be missed. It was but not drastically. Also moving back and forth between my K-50 and K-3 I don't find myself anguishing over the loss of the top LCD.

I am not trying to talk you out of the K-3 - it is a great camera. But if you really think the articulating LCD is right for you - don't discount the camera over the lack of a top LCD unless it is central to your workflow when you shoot.
09-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Uncle! I just have to decide which means more to my usage; the articulating screen, or the top LCD. When I'm shooting manually, I use the top LCD for the meter; as the view in the viewfinder and back LCD is too dark for me to read.
09-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I have K20, K5 and K3 and still use all three for different purposes. The K3, not necessarily the K3II, is certainly the top. I really value and regularly use focus peaking in live view. However, If I were still at the K5 level, I would seriously consider a K-S2 because of the articulating screen, but that's a personal matter. I like to do macro, and years past I had no problem getting down and up to peer through the viewfinder when the camera was 10 inches off the ground. Now it's a strain to peer through the viewfinder when the camera is 30 inches off the ground A screen that at least tilted would be enormously helpful. I'm no taller, but the ground seems much farther away, much harder to get down to it, and exasperatingly difficult to get back up to vertical.
09-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm hoping my posts are not hi-jacking this thread; rather giving the OP some options to think about with his upgrade, as well.
09-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
Forum Member

Went from the K20D to the K3-II. For me the K20D is still a good camera. But the K3-II is way better all round. I'm keeping my K20D as my backup. I use a K10D/Tamron 18-250mm as my go to if I want to take a camera along while riding my dirt bike.

You wont be sorry if you get a K3 or K3-II. Big improvements over the K20D

Last edited by Craig66; 09-26-2015 at 06:05 PM.