Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
tovo

how much should a second hand k5iis be

Today I just bought the 150-450mm pentax. This is a real beast. I still have the k5iis but in order to get most of the lens, I wanted to upgrade to k3 or k3ii. The shop offered to buy my k5iis for 400CHF if I buy the k3ii for 1098CHF. I was thinking that 400CHF is to cheap for a k5iis so I said I have to think. What do you think about this deal?

09-26-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What is CHF?
09-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
tovo

That's the swiss currency
09-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
What is CHF?
CHF - Swiss Franc rates, news, and tools

09-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do you feel it is necessary to upgrade from a K-5? Maybe some CHF is burning a hole in your pocket. Carrying around so much CHF must be burdensome.
I'm sure many will tell you that your current K-5 is more than capable of capturing great images with your lens; or any lens for that matter.
09-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suspect that you could get at least that much, if not more, for your K5iis on the Marketplace here. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a used K3 or K3ii here (or elsewhere) for much less than what they are charging you. But that would take time and effort and some risk. No doubt they have a nice return policy on their K3, so they are offering you a decent deal that is quick, painless, and more or less risk-free.
09-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my country, a new K-3 II sells for about CAD $1100 and a new K-5 IIs for $8-900. One of our local camera chains takes trade-ins, and I would be happy to get $400 for a used K-5 IIs. I think that is a fair exchange. You might do better selling and buying privately, but not significantly better considering the time, hassle and added risk.

Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-26-2015 at 09:04 AM.
09-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tovo Quote
Today I just bought the 150-450mm pentax. This is a real beast. I still have the k5iis but in order to get most of the lens, I wanted to upgrade to k3 or k3ii. The shop offered to buy my k5iis for 400CHF if I buy the k3ii for 1098CHF. I was thinking that 400CHF is to cheap for a k5iis so I said I have to think. What do you think about this deal?
1098 chf would be the retail price form 2012, which is way above the camera's current market value. You can import a used K-5 IIs in good condition for $350-450, or a new K-3 for around $650.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it sounds fair for a trade-in, but I think you should be able to (maybe) get more selling it separately.

I'm not sure I would say that the K-3 is that much better than the K-5iis, though. Higher resolution, somewhat better auto focus, but lacking ISO 80, and a bit less dynamic range, as well as fewer shots per battery charge.

I have the K-3 for other reasons - mainly the dual card slots.

If you want better than the K-5 you should probably wait for the FF. But that one will, of course, cost considerably more.
09-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
tovo

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think it sounds fair for a trade-in, but I think you should be able to (maybe) get more selling it separately.

I'm not sure I would say that the K-3 is that much better than the K-5iis, though. Higher resolution, somewhat better auto focus, but lacking ISO 80, and a bit less dynamic range, as well as fewer shots per battery charge.

I have the K-3 for other reasons - mainly the dual card slots.

If you want better than the K-5 you should probably wait for the FF. But that one will, of course, cost considerably more.
Indeed, The k5iis is still good. It is just that Ricoh doesn't want to update the firmware to allow the use of some extra button on the lens.
09-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've thought about making the move from k5iis to k3. 400 sounds like a good price when considering the convenience and it is close to what they've been going for used, but the k3ii price seems a little high (at least for new from US dealers). Do they have a k3 for cheaper?
09-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
tovo

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Why do you feel it is necessary to upgrade from a K-5? Maybe some CHF is burning a hole in your pocket. Carrying around so much CHF must be burdensome.
I'm sure many will tell you that your current K-5 is more than capable of capturing great images with your lens; or any lens for that matter.
You are right about this. The only reason to upgrade is that some autofocus function on the 150-450 isn't available for the k5iis

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 01:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I suspect that you could get at least that much, if not more, for your K5iis on the Marketplace here. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a used K3 or K3ii here (or elsewhere) for much less than what they are charging you. But that would take time and effort and some risk. No doubt they have a nice return policy on their K3, so they are offering you a decent deal that is quick, painless, and more or less risk-free.
I may be considering a deal from the US if someone wants to buy mine. Actually, I ordered my k5iis at a price of about USD650 from the US while at that time the price was about USD1000 in Switzerland.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by langkata Quote
I've thought about making the move from k5iis to k3. 400 sounds like a good price when considering the convenience and it is close to what they've been going for used, but the k3ii price seems a little high (at least for new from US dealers). Do they have a k3 for cheaper?
Swiss prices are always high. That is why I was thinking that I should get more than 400CHF in this country. By the way, the strange thing is that the price for the k3 is actually for k3ii. The simple k3 is more expensive than that.
09-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I know customs policies vary greatly, but I wonder what it would end up costing to order from Adorama with that great 649 USD K3 deal. Of course the warranty could then be a problem.

I wouldn't think you'd have much problem selling the k5iis through the Marketplace. They don't seem to come up for sale very often and maybe the prospective EU buyer would be prepared to pay whatever they commonly go for there.
09-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Deal sounds about right (US pentax prices aside)...... go and get the K3II...... the 150-450 deserves it. Only real thought is that you'll never find a cheaper better 2nd body than the K5IIs you currently have.....also....you'll want local warranty.....

The 150-450 is like a 150-600 when you consider the resolution difference between K5 to K3's (I have a 150-450)

Pentax life is close to perfect with a K3/150-450 on one hip and K5IIs/FA31 on the other out in nature.

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-26-2015 at 06:05 PM.
09-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The extra AF points if you are a portrait or fast lens shooter are useful.

Also despite a rather weird thread on file saving, the K3 saves files way faster than the K5.

The dual card slots are also useful if u want 2 put a WiFi card in the 2nd card slot and a fast 95mb/s in one slot.

I have a K5 classic and the K3 and I much prefer shooting with the K3.