Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is this aperture lever in the camera or the lens. If this problem occurs because of a faulty aperture lever on the lens, why not throw the lens away?

09-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
Their is a lever in the camera and on the lens. The lens I was using was the first wide angle prime I ever had and it busted the camera within a week of usage.
09-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

That's awful. I hope that lens doesn't bust your k-5.
09-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Its kind of weird. I was shooting out the car window and the shutter made a noise and fired and then it fired again and though this time half the VF went black. Then it fired again and then the whole VF went black. Then the fun really started when the camera turned into a nice brick for about an hour or so. So I popped the battery, and SD card out and let it sit at home. That day was almost 100 degrees so we all thought it was the heat that screwed it up so I had it close but not to close to the air vent when I got home. then I started reading about the K30 having issues and I found pictures of what the inside was supposed to look like. I poked around a little bit inside and found that the aperture lever little piece that moves a gear that moves the lever popped out and the mirror box went with it. So it was quite the fun little adventure. But now I have the K-5 and it is my little tank with already 8,000 actuations in two months
Is this why the K30 was pulled after about nine months?

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 04:11 PM ----------

The D90 is yuck yuck after the K5. I can't wait to replace it, but concerned about this K30 problem. Maybe I pay a little more for a K5, or wait and go for a K3...

09-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Is this why the K30 was pulled after about nine months?

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 04:11 PM ----------

The D90 is yuck yuck after the K5. I can't wait to replace it, but concerned about this K30 problem. Maybe I pay a little more for a K5, or wait and go for a K3...
I'm not sure if the pull out of the K-30 is because of the lever problem. The k-50 had a very few reported problems too. To be safe, I would say it's best you look for a K-5II or a K-5IIs. So far, there are no reports of this kind in both cameras. I have a K-5II and I love it. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't go for a k-3 due to the mirror flap problem. I have a k-3II and it's just a couple of weeks old. I'm hoping they've fixed this bug in this model.

Don't get the D90 wrong. It's a tough camera. I've read some post from people having over 150000 shutter counts and their camera is still alive. Though body construction wise, I'd go for a Pentax.
09-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #36

Photos: Albums
Personally if I could do it all over again, I would buy the K-5iis. But currently my little A5000 and K-5 do me well. If you wanted to get rid of the AA filter on the iis for added sharpness but more moire I would do it if I could. Though I will say I would buy another K-5 in a heartbeat. KEH is a good place too. I got mine after my K30 broke and I only ended up paying like $45 after adding the value of my K30 purchase on the total. https://www.keh.com/358022/pentax-k-5-ii-digital-camera-body-16-3-m-p The K-5ii is only 418 right now on KEH and thats with a 6 month awesome warranty included plus for another 60 you can get a two year extended.
10-01-2015, 03:11 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Personally if I could do it all over again, I would buy the K-5iis. But currently my little A5000 and K-5 do me well. If you wanted to get rid of the AA filter on the iis for added sharpness but more moire I would do it if I could. Though I will say I would buy another K-5 in a heartbeat. KEH is a good place too. I got mine after my K30 broke and I only ended up paying like $45 after adding the value of my K30 purchase on the total. https://www.keh.com/358022/pentax-k-5-ii-digital-camera-body-16-3-m-p The K-5ii is only 418 right now on KEH and thats with a 6 month awesome warranty included plus for another 60 you can get a two year extended.
That;s an awesome price, thanks. Problem is I am in Europe and when you factor in international postage, plus the customs bill that Fedex kindly send you (something like 40% of purchase price), it doesn't work out very cheap at all. I bought a lens from them earlier in the year for $80. All together it cost me about $160

---------- Post added 10-01-15 at 03:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm not sure if the pull out of the K-30 is because of the lever problem. The k-50 had a very few reported problems too. To be safe, I would say it's best you look for a K-5II or a K-5IIs. So far, there are no reports of this kind in both cameras. I have a K-5II and I love it. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't go for a k-3 due to the mirror flap problem. I have a k-3II and it's just a couple of weeks old. I'm hoping they've fixed this bug in this model.

Don't get the D90 wrong. It's a tough camera. I've read some post from people having over 150000 shutter counts and their camera is still alive. Though body construction wise, I'd go for a Pentax.
The K3 has a mirror flap problem?! Oh dear.

Well, I love the idea of the K3, except that 24Mp files are going to be heavy on my old mac. It already struggles with 16Mp files. That's about all I can handle.

---------- Post added 10-01-15 at 03:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote

The D90 is a capable enough camera, particulary for accurate color. But the controls feel like crap after the K-5 and the ergonomics/menus are also a step backwards.
04-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #38

Original Poster
Well, sorry to have to 'resurrect' this thread again, but this time it was terminal. I stupidly waded into the sea at Sagres, Portugal, got knocked off a rock by a rip currrent and promptly found myself having to choose between keeping a dry camera and drowning. RIP forever my K-5 and the new 55-300 WR. Fortunately I found a great Pentaxian in Huelva who sold me his K-5 iis. We quickly became friends, the camera and I (Juan too of course). No tele lens to replace right now, so I am going to be more focussed on wide subjects for a while.

04-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Sorry about your K-5 and the added expense you'll be having. But the k-5IIs is a great camera. Hope you'll have some cash to replace your 55-300.