Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

I killed my K-5 - RIP.

I finally did the impossible. My K-5 and I pushed the limits of weather sealing to the max over the last few months, and finally, yesterday it happened. One wave too many, a dunking too far, and it died. Not only that, but the 55-300 WR got full of water too. Hadn't had it long at all. I am really sad about this. Tried to dry them out in the oven. Doesn't work. Makes it worse. Had to buy a D90 in an emergency. It's a toy in comparison. inferior AF, inferior build, inferior drive, inferior in just about every way. Picture quality is pretty good out of it though.

https://500px.com/spiritofadventure

09-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pity about your K-5. Was it salt water?

Dry cabinet or ricebag or silica gel is a MUCH better option than using an oven.
09-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If your K-5 and 55-300 WR don't respond and come back to life...what are your plans for replacing them ? BTW, my sympathy on the loss of such fine equipment.
09-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think putting them in the oven is a very good idea.
Best is to open all ports and leave the body by a sunny window. Leave it for about a week or more before trying to power up the camera.
I've had laptops in for repair that have had glasses of water spilled over the keyboard and gone through the entire machine. Granted I have to disassemble them to dry them out, but after a week they generally always fire up just fine.
But yeh, if it was salt water - different story.

09-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the seals in the 55-300 WR might have failed and taken your K-5 with it.
If the lens is still under warranty, perhaps you could make a claim for it, and the camera.
09-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

In a morbid kind of way that little sad story gave me a much needed chuckle. Sorry for your loss, but it is really good of you to share in such an accepting kind of way. I hope you find your way back to a Pentax system soon.

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 11:44 AM ----------

And can I say your work in the waves is awesome - it gives me inspiration to try the same
09-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I agree. Worth a shot to put in a double bag of silica gel. Let it stay in a while.

I jumped in a lake with a company flip phone in my pocket once. Came back to life with a hair dryer. I am not saying use a hair dryer it won't work with a camera.

Let your camera stay in vag a week or two. I have access to silica gel I don't know about rice.
09-26-2015, 08:01 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I agree. Worth a shot to put in a double bag of silica gel. Let it stay in a while.

I jumped in a lake with a company flip phone in my pocket once. Came back to life with a hair dryer. I am not saying use a hair dryer it won't work with a camera.

Let your camera stay in vag a week or two. I have access to silica gel I don't know about rice.
A bag might be easier to use......

09-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
So sorry to hear.
09-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
None of this is going to work if it salt water though. If it was salt water, it's almost certainly gone. The only thing to save from salt water would be immediate re-immersion in clean fresh water, and then dry out. But if it was on when it went in then it's probably irretrievably dead.
09-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Sounds like the seals in the 55-300 WR might have failed and taken your K-5 with it.
If the lens is still under warranty, perhaps you could make a claim for it, and the camera.
Sadly bought second hand, as new, no guarantees...

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 02:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pity about your K-5. Was it salt water?

Dry cabinet or ricebag or silica gel is a MUCH better option than using an oven.
Yes, you are right. I was in a panic and didn't think of the rice. Had no silica gel.

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 02:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
In a morbid kind of way that little sad story gave me a much needed chuckle. Sorry for your loss, but it is really good of you to share in such an accepting kind of way. I hope you find your way back to a Pentax system soon.

And can I say your work in the waves is awesome - it gives me inspiration to try the same
Thanks very much. At least it's not all in vain... I got a bit overconfident with it I think, after seeing too many youtube videos of people taking Pentaxes in the shower...

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 02:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't think putting them in the oven is a very good idea.
Best is to open all ports and leave the body by a sunny window. Leave it for about a week or more before trying to power up the camera.
I've had laptops in for repair that have had glasses of water spilled over the keyboard and gone through the entire machine. Granted I have to disassemble them to dry them out, but after a week they generally always fire up just fine.
But yeh, if it was salt water - different story.
It was salt water...

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
None of this is going to work if it salt water though. If it was salt water, it's almost certainly gone. The only thing to save from salt water would be immediate re-immersion in clean fresh water, and then dry out. But if it was on when it went in then it's probably irretrievably dead.
Yup. It was salt water.

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote

Actually it was right at the beginning of an event I was shooting that this happened. I had literally one night to get a replacement. The local store only had K-3 ii, K-S2 or E-M1 or E-M5iis or Nikon D4s that would have been suitable really, and all over my budget. I actually prefer the idea of the K-3 over the K-3 ii anyway. And the K-S2 has no LCD and a slower motor drive, which kind of put me off.

All I could find was a Nikon D90 with a couple of lenses from a local guy I mentioned. It's not a keeper. I had a D90 briefly a couple of years ago but was not amazed by the slooow 3D AF (I was always a Nikon user, till a couple of years ago). However it has made me really appreciate the K-5, for robustness, faster AF and drive speed and better control layout IMO. Also seems to have quicker software. What I think I most appreciate about the Pentax system thought is affordability. They're just so blinking reasonable on the used market. If you compare what a comparable system in Nikon or Olympus would cost it's big money. An E-M1 and 40-150 Pro (nice system) is pushing 2.5K new. I picked up that K5 and 55-300 for 500 Euros used, but great condition! I'm not sentimentally attached to Pentax at all, but I think they're just awesome action cameras (among other things) with feature sets no-one else competes with at the price.

I will probably put the Nikon gear up for sale pretty quick, save the pennies and look around for a used K-3 or another K-5. I thought the 55-300 was actually an awesome lens even though I'd only had it a few weeks. I'd probably get another of those. 60-250 would be nice, but overkill really.

---------- Post added 09-27-15 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If your K-5 and 55-300 WR don't respond and come back to life...what are your plans for replacing them ? BTW, my sympathy on the loss of such fine equipment.
(see above ^^^)

Last edited by plooksta; 09-27-2015 at 02:30 PM.
09-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

How sad.

I fell into a river with my first K3 and drowned it thoroughly, smashed lens, water all through near new camera...so sad... I cried..

...bought another one. The old one eventually dried out...left it in a warm dry dust free place with everything open. It took a couple of months, but now works very reliably. I couldn't sell it knowing what it has been through, so I have two K3 bodies, one I keep specially for bad conditions. I'll be using K3s for a long time to come, I think!

But yours was in salt water.....errrk.

hope your replacement eases your pain.
09-28-2015, 02:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
How sad.

I fell into a river with my first K3 and drowned it thoroughly, smashed lens, water all through near new camera...so sad... I cried..

...bought another one. The old one eventually dried out...left it in a warm dry dust free place with everything open. It took a couple of months, but now works very reliably. I couldn't sell it knowing what it has been through, so I have two K3 bodies, one I keep specially for bad conditions. I'll be using K3s for a long time to come, I think!

But yours was in salt water.....errrk.

hope your replacement eases your pain.
How incredibly fortunate you were that it came back to life. I can't see mine recovering.
09-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

So sorry for your loss.
09-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The Last Post - YouTube

So sorry for your loss.
Thanks. I have seen a K30 for 175 GBP, with under 8000 shutters. I think it's a great price. I wonder does anyone have experience with this camera? Would it live up to the K-5 I am used to? I don't see much difference between it and the K-S2, apart from the flip out screen.