Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Pentax K-x Shutter Life/Good Starter

Just curious what people think for the K-x for a good starter. I use a K-50 but am looking for something for my wife.

Only reason I am asking is a guy near me is selling is with DAL lens for $140 USD (I am in Canada so even if I find something cheaper in the US shipping will kill me).

My first question is what is the shutter life? Camera is in mint cosmetic shape - minus a few LCD scuffs but has high shutter count ~40000. He will throw in new batteries and charger + original items and figure it is cheap enough to last a few more years. Takes nice pictures and everything else seems to check out okay.

09-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter life for a Pentax digital is 100,000 more or less. Sometimes they work past the 100,000.
09-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Hydronaut Quote
Just curious what people think for the K-x for a good starter. I use a K-50 but am looking for something for my wife.

Only reason I am asking is a guy near me is selling is with DAL lens for $140 USD (I am in Canada so even if I find something cheaper in the US shipping will kill me).

My first question is what is the shutter life? Camera is in mint cosmetic shape - minus a few LCD scuffs but has high shutter count ~40000. He will throw in new batteries and charger + original items and figure it is cheap enough to last a few more years. Takes nice pictures and everything else seems to check out okay.
The 100k spec was for the older flagship models like the K-7 and K-5. No shutter life specification is provided for the K-x but 40,000 is pretty high. Then again, $140 is also a great price

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No shutter life specification is provided for the K-x
Thanks Adam, that's good to know because I have two K-x's.

09-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Its cheap so will pick it up. Figure even if she gets a few years out of it. Camera literally looks brand new and all the metering is spot on.

From what I can find online it says 100,000 for the kx. Not sure if that is true.
09-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

From what I can find online it says 100,000 for the kx.
I read it on this forum but don't remember the exact post or thread it was in. I do hope, Adam is correct though.
09-27-2015, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I read it on this forum but don't remember the exact post or thread it was in. I do hope, Adam is correct though.
Pentax actually does state 100000 in their literature.

PENTAX K-x A High-Performance Entry-Class Digital SLR Camera, Packaging Movie Recording, High-Speed Continuous Shooting and User-Friendly Operation in Compact, Lightweight Body | RICOH IMAGING

The K-xs high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 17 images (in JPEG recording format) at a maximum speed of approximately 4.7 images per second the fastest of all entry-class models. The K-x also features a new, reliable shutter unit, which proved its dependability and ruggedness through a demanding action test of more than 100,000 shutter releases. Its top shutter speed of 1/6000 second allows the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
09-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious what people think for the K-x for a good starter.
K-x is my entry to the Pentax DSLR world. IMHO it is a very good option for anyone starting out with DSLR. As for shutter count life I know of a forum member here with a K-r, which is essentially the same as the K-x still ticking happily at over 50K. I think for what your friend is asking for with lens included is a good deal. Also, in case you weren't aware and ever get into the situation, K-x is one of the bodies that can hack SDM lenses to screw drive.