Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Best batteries for a K50

I recently bought a K50 body to replace my kx. The K50 came with a Li battery but I purchased a pair of cheap Chinese battery holders so that I had the flexibility to use 4 AA batteries as well. I did this because I have a large number of Eneloop batteries that I did not want to waste. I assume that the Li battery is an advance over the AA's, or Pentax would not have made this upgrade. Can anyone tell me the advantages of using the Li battery?

09-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
I recently bought a K50 body to replace my kx. The K50 came with a Li battery but I purchased a pair of cheap Chinese battery holders so that I had the flexibility to use 4 AA batteries as well. I did this because I have a large number of Eneloop batteries that I did not want to waste. I assume that the Li battery is an advance over the AA's, or Pentax would not have made this upgrade. Can anyone tell me the advantages of using the Li battery?
Capacity-wise you're probably better off using the dedicated battery unless you plan to use lithium AA's, though its capacity is somewhat limited compared to the D-Li90 battery used in Pentax's high-end DSLRs. If you do want to use rechargeable AA's, try those Eneloops as they about as good as AA's get.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
try Eneloops
That's what he's got!
09-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
I did this because I have a large number of Eneloop batteries that I did not want to waste
Actually, I get better performance out of the Li on battery than my Eneloops, but that could because my Eneloops are a few years old.

09-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the AA holder with good Ni-MH batteries to fall short of the Lithium Ion battery by about 20% - nothing earth shattering. The AA holders are also a bit heavier full than the LI-Ion if I recall correctly.
09-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Actually, I get better performance out of the Li on battery than my Eneloops, but that could because my Eneloops are a few years old.
I'd like to thank everybody for valuable answers to my question. I will use the Pentax Li battery as a primary power source and the rechargeable Eneloops as backups. This way I won't have to dump the Eneloops which I recently bought for my Kx.