Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Yes, it definitely struggles in low light and is very noisy past 400ISO.
I used to have a K-30 (which is K-50 in another package) for more than one year. shot over 25K photos with it.
It was pretty good up to ISO1600! and still usable for me up to ISO3200.

I'd vote for a newer body. any of these guys: K-30/K-50/K-5/K-5IIs

And the fact that K-50 has 16MP instead of 10MP, will help you get more reach (by cropping to 10MP) with your current lens.

09-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote

BTW, I would recommend going to the Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State Building if you only do one. It's cheaper and you can include the instantly recognizable ESB in your shots. Also don't forget to find the main reading room at the library. Ask if you can't find it, it's behind another room.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, and much to my heartbreak as a literature teacher, the main reading room is closed for renovation--not estimated to reopen until at least 2017.
09-30-2015, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

The K-5 is $517.70 (ships from AZ, free shipping) and up on Amazon. I had two of them before my K-5IIS. The K-5 performs on an excellent level.
09-30-2015, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AND, I'd love something with a little more range for the trip, longer than the 125.
You will want something wider than 18 for sure. Even if you have to rent a 12-24, that is the lens.

09-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You will want something wider than 18 for sure. Even if you have to rent a 12-24, that is the lens.
Yes, Big City --> Wide Angle!
09-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

SNIP ... I'd love something with a little more range for the trip, longer than the 125 ... SNIP
I'll echo the comments that you don't need a longer range for NYC. 125 is plenty. I have a well-rounded lens collection and the ones that get used in Manhattan are 16-50 for general usage, 10-24 for museum interiors, and a 135 prime when I want to single out people at parades. My Ricoh GR (18mm) sees a lot of use when I don't want to carry a DSLR.

You'll get very few keepers at 250mm unless you want photos of individual bricks on buildings. A lot of zoom is theoretically good for the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park (assuming you don't get closer on a ferry), boats in the harbor, etc. but distortion over the water limits you to less extreme zoom lengths.
09-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

)
Some views with focal lengths...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302848-do-i...ml#post3358966

09-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, and much to my heartbreak as a literature teacher, the main reading room is closed for renovation--not estimated to reopen until at least 2017.
Man, that IS a bummer. I would still go if it's just that room that's closed, especially as a lit. teacher. Here's a couple of the other rooms at the front, plus one of the main room. All were taken with the DA15. I can't imagine what they'd be renovating in there. It was gorgeous as is and I didn't notice anything that needed attention.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #24

Original Poster
Beautiful images! We still plan on going to the main branch, but sadly, no reading room. I think I read that one of the big plaster roses from the ceiling fell, so they are doing some restoration.
10-01-2015, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

For New York City, you should take as wide an angle lens as you can. Me, I wouldn't go abroad without my Q7 for when i don't want to be encumbered by a DSLR-sized camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
10-01-2015, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I'm very excited that my DH and I are headed to NYC for the first time in November. And of course, my gear will be coming with me. However, I'd like to travel VERY light--body and single lens. I currently have a K10D, and considering my current gear, my likely lens is my Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6. However, the K10D is getting...tired...it's seen a lot of love and I feel like it's strating to show...and I'd love HD video. AND, I'd love something with a little more range for the trip, longer than the 125.

But the budget likely only has space for one upgrade, either lens or body.

So, here's the "would you rather?" scenario.
Would you rather, when going to NYC, shoot:

1) The K-10D with an 18-250mm (probably either the Tamron or Pentax)
2) A K-50 with the Sigma 18-125mm

Or, 3) just make do with the K10D and the Sigma and use the money for a really fancy dinner?

What say ye, Pentaxians?

(ETA--Or if I am ALL wrong, tell me what you'd do instead with a $300 budget. )
Hi Kierra,

The K-50 sounds like a good choice and you will get better low light images with the improved sensor. Your Sigma covers the wide end pretty well so that would be my choice. I use my 18-135 for this kind of trip but not sure if that would really be an upgrade to what you have. If you're planning on purchasing the K-50 when in NYC check the operating hours and calendar in advance of B&H and Adorama, right now both are closed till Wednesday the 7th for the Succos holiday. They are also closed Friday evenings till late Saturday for the Jewish Sabbath. My friends just tried seeing the Main Reading room at the 42nd street library and it was under construction: NYPL’s Rose Reading Room Won’t Reopen Until 2017 | GalleyCat.

The Top of the Rock is a great suggestion. Also check out the High Line Park and if you have time a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (it has easy subway access to both sides). Enjoy your trip!
10-01-2015, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

If I'm being honest, I've been hankering after a new body for a year or more, but NYC is a reason I can get my husband on board, and since I can hardly ever pull the trigger on spending money for myself, seems like a good way to force myself into it as well!
I understand. In that case, you better make a move while the opportunity presents itself. My feeling is that you'd probably gain more by upgrading your camera body rather than the lens at this point.
10-01-2015, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

J
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DH = Dear Husband I believe.
Darling, domineering, dreadful, duped ..... The possibilities are endless!

Back on topic, I too would avoid taking a new, unfamiliar camera on a special trip. Unless you have a few days before to specifically go out and practise and learn about all the settings and shooting parameters you'd need to use quickly when out on the streets and in changing conditions.

Unless you're worried that you'll need the high ISO, or frames per second performance, of the K50, then I'd stick to the tried and tested camera wise.

Lenses are a different matter, and don't need the same familiarity and learning. In fact those new perspectives from a change of glass can inspire. I'd use the trip as a chance to get that wide to mid zoom or special prime you always knew you needed, and go and see what it can produce!
10-01-2015, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
J

Darling, domineering, dreadful, duped ..... The possibilities are endless!

Back on topic, I too would avoid taking a new, unfamiliar camera on a special trip. Unless you have a few days before to specifically go out and practise and learn about all the settings and shooting parameters you'd need to use quickly when out on the streets and in changing conditions.

Unless you're worried that you'll need the high ISO, or frames per second performance, of the K50, then I'd stick to the tried and tested camera wise.

Lenses are a different matter, and don't need the same familiarity and learning. In fact those new perspectives from a change of glass can inspire. I'd use the trip as a chance to get that wide to mid zoom or special prime you always knew you needed, and go and see what it can produce!
I agree. What about a nice DA 15 limited for all those skyscrapers, or a Sigma 18-35 Art if budget allows...
10-01-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DH = Dear Husband I believe.
Domestic Help? :-)

In a city, I don't think long focal lengths would get much use. So +1 for a better camera body.