Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Going to NYC--would you rather...?

I'm very excited that my DH and I are headed to NYC for the first time in November. And of course, my gear will be coming with me. However, I'd like to travel VERY light--body and single lens. I currently have a K10D, and considering my current gear, my likely lens is my Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6. However, the K10D is getting...tired...it's seen a lot of love and I feel like it's strating to show...and I'd love HD video. AND, I'd love something with a little more range for the trip, longer than the 125.

But the budget likely only has space for one upgrade, either lens or body.

So, here's the "would you rather?" scenario.
Would you rather, when going to NYC, shoot:

1) The K-10D with an 18-250mm (probably either the Tamron or Pentax)
2) A K-50 with the Sigma 18-125mm

Or, 3) just make do with the K10D and the Sigma and use the money for a really fancy dinner?

What say ye, Pentaxians?

(ETA--Or if I am ALL wrong, tell me what you'd do instead with a $300 budget. )

Last edited by KierraElizabeth; 09-30-2015 at 03:20 PM.
09-30-2015, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never used the K10D - I have used the K100D and K100D Super. I think a K50 is a better choice - you can crop to effectively longer focal lengths. Alternately you can scout the marketplace for a used K5 / K5II / K5iis and you might find it's in budget. I suggest this last option because you have a "pro" level body now and the upgrade would be more in line with what you are used to. The K50 is a GREAT camera - I have one and now a K3 - there is nothing bad about going that route. It is water sealed and has great features. A few minor upgrades from the K5 series in focus peaking for manual focus on the liveview screen if I recall. The RAW files are 12 bit not 14 bit, and there are a few other ways it falls short of the K5 series overall. I would be happy with either.
09-30-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Definitely go for a new K-50, bargain price, great performance, new camera warranty, it will be a real performance upgrade from what you have now. That would give you a real upgrade, I don't think that lens would give you any real upgrade over the lens you're using, just more length. I don't know if anything is going on now at B&H or Adorama, but occasionally they have some great lens deals with camera purchases.
09-30-2015, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, I used to love my old K10d and Sigma 18-125. I suggest you upgrade K10d to the newest body you can afford. Haven't looked at prices lately but focus on a better body - new or used. Keep your Sigma and go with it. I've not shot in NYC (been there a long time ago though) but every time this question comes up here, I see the same recommendations for lenses: don't bother with long lenses, you just need normal to wide angle stuff. Taking a travel lens like the Tammy or Sigma 18-250 is fine but you won't need the extra length and as I recall, the Sigma 18-125 gave great results. What you will need is a better sensor and faster focusing camera than the K10d. If you had the money, something like the new K-S2 would be an amazing upgrade but even a used K5 would give you such better performance.

Edit: the low light performance of the K10d is limited to 1600 ISO and really above 400 it's useless. This is now so behind the times that just about any newer body will give you much better ability in varied lighting.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 09-30-2015 at 03:55 PM.
09-30-2015, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With both of your lens choices being f/3.5-5.6, the extra low-light performance of the K-50 would make a lot more difference than a little more reach on the long end. I had the 18-250, and the DA 18-135 replaced it as my jack-of-all-trades lens. I really don't miss the extra length.
09-30-2015, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #6

My son took his K10D and a DA 16-45 lens to New York City for a week, a couple of years ago and made amazing images with it. The K10D has always been an awesome camera. I think the most important element is the person using the camera, the second element being the lens. and the least important being the body. I have taken cameras to New York for years, and I found that in respect to lenses, wide was much more useful than reach.
Find a used DA 16-45 for, what do they go for now, $150-$175, and you will have money left in the budget for a dinner, also.
09-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

+ the K-50, honestly i don't feel the 18-250 is worth the upgrade over your current sigma lens. But just my opinion, not fact based. In your position, i would rather save up for a better lens, and meanwhile get the k-50.

09-30-2015, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I know I'm taking a bit of a side step, but how important is HD video to you? If you really want video of your trip, then you need to upgrade your camera body. If you just want a record of your trip...use your cellphone or make other arrangements. Something that hasn't changed between the move from film to digital is..."don't use a new camera nor new lens for the first time on a 'once in a lifetime' trip." I would suggest that you pocket the $300 (don't use it on dinner! lol)...use the gear you have...enjoy your trip...and when your photography hits a more definite snag, use the $300 to get you over the hump.
09-30-2015, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with the body change, the best you can afford, and a K-50 would be great. I also do not think the long end is going to be that useful in a city. I traveled recently using the 21mm at least 90% in an urban setting, and was delighted, no regrets. But that is my style of shooting. Cities do not offer a lot for long lenses for me.
09-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
I'm very excited that my DH
What is this?
09-30-2015, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
What is this?
DH = Dear Husband I believe.
09-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The K-10D has an LCD screen on top, the K-50 does not.
09-30-2015, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #13

Kierra,

I say go with what you know. Save your money and get a K-3 later on. Adorama has it for 650.00 with a 50mm lens and you can use your old glass. Give it a little more time, you will be halfway there.You are more important than the equipment. Besides as great as a k-3 is, you will have a learning curve and you might miss a few shots since you are learning the camera. Enjoy NYC there is no place like it. Lots of people have taken wonderful shots with less gear than what you have. Your food choices will be ridiculous. Don't go to crazy or you would have spent your k-3 money.
09-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Edit: the low light performance of the K10d is limited to 1600 ISO and really above 400 it's useless. This is now so behind the times that just about any newer body will give you much better ability in varied lighting.
Yes, it definitely struggles in low light and is very noisy past 400ISO.

---------- Post added 09-30-2015 at 06:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I know I'm taking a bit of a side step, but how important is HD video to you? If you really want video of your trip, then you need to upgrade your camera body. If you just want a record of your trip...use your cellphone or make other arrangements. Something that hasn't changed between the move from film to digital is..."don't use a new camera nor new lens for the first time on a 'once in a lifetime' trip." I would suggest that you pocket the $300 (don't use it on dinner! lol)...use the gear you have...enjoy your trip...and when your photography hits a more definite snag, use the $300 to get you over the hump.
If I'm being honest, I've been hankering after a new body for a year or more, but NYC is a reason I can get my husband on board, and since I can hardly ever pull the trigger on spending money for myself, seems like a good way to force myself into it as well! So, no the HD video isn't an imperative.
09-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

We went to NYC last year and I took the DA15, FA31, and FA77. I could have just taken the 15 as I used it on about 98% of the shots I took. I really only used the other lenses when making a conscious effort to do so because I had brought them all the way there.

That trip is what made me realize that the GR is probably the perfect travel camera. It would have been awesome for incognito street shots, on the subway, etc. But most of the time up there you're going to want to capture the "bigness" of the scene, and that means going wide. As wide as you can. I definitely wouldn't take anything narrower than 50mm.

BTW, I would recommend going to the Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State Building if you only do one. It's cheaper and you can include the instantly recognizable ESB in your shots. Also don't forget to find the main reading room at the library. Ask if you can't find it, it's behind another room.