Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
That makes absolutely no sense at all!

Firstly you dont have to stop down as far on APSC to get a greater DOF.

Secondly, you are not going to get more resolution on film as the same restriction applies, even if you could find 35mm film that gets anywhere close to 15MP.
Okay, okay, I retract my statement about going back to film. It was said somewhat in jest which likely didn't come across to well in print. The only time I'm tempted is to get back to some of that wonderful B&W film. But my chemical days are over.

The original point of the post still holds though. One of the things I like about the APS-C sized sensor is the increased DOF for a given aperture and field of view. The shallow DOF people may hate it but it's been a big plus for me. If I shot between F8 and F10 on a APS-C sensor (full frame it would be F12 to F16) I'm already pushing the diffraction limit for a high MP APS-C camera. Adding more MP would very likely not do much as any increase I get in resolution is going to be lost to diffraction if I want to shot with the same DOF. I vote for quality pixels instead of more.

06-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan 2 Quote
Adding more MP would very likely not do much as any increase I get in resolution is going to be lost to diffraction if I want to shot with the same DOF. I vote for quality pixels instead of more.
Noone forces you to stop down more just because of an increased pixel count.
So as long as the lens can resolve more than the sensor can, you would want more pixels.

Can't you mod Pentax cameras to mount CZ lenses? try a CZ 21mm on for good landscape measure?

Having said that, i wouldn't want more than the 14.6 i got now (although i loved the change from 8 top 14.6), the next cam could have (even) lower high ISO noise as far as sensor improvements go.
Anything else i could think of making (even) better are firmware tweaks to improve certain things.

Last edited by morfic; 06-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
06-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan 2 Quote
Interesting article in Luminous Landscape

Do Sensors “Outresolve” Lenses?

I have to admit most of this is over my head so I skimmed it and skipped down to the conclusion. His conclusion is that we're hitting the wall with lens resolution and MP.

4/3 system 10MP
APS-C 15MP
full frame 35MP

Anything more than that and it's just bigger files with no real increase in resolution. If what he says is true then the K20D is about all you can get with APS-C. Not that I'm complaining. I'd like nothing more than Pentax and the rest of the DSLR makers to focus on DR and noise at high ISOs. Pentax can also move to 14 or even 16 bit raw files. Lots of places to make improvements.

I'll say again that this stuff of over my head. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of this can way in.

Alan
Without wanting to get too technical, yes, the sensor used in the K20 out resolves pretty much any lens out there in normal picture taking situations.
A very good lens will have a hard time besting 60 or so lppmm at a TOC of 1.6:1. We see enormously high numbers quoted (the Luminous Landscape article quoted 200lpmm for Ektar/Royal 25. They might get this sort of resolution using a 1000:1 Test Object Contrast (TOC), but in the real world, they are lucky to hit half that, and your lens will be lucky to hit 2/3 of what that particular film hits.
If you want better quality than what today's sensors can do, you need to go back to film, but you need medium format or larger to compete, since now you will be dealing with film grain as well as lens resolution.
And dump the Ken Dolll lens and get some decent glass that will make the most of your sensor.
06-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I feel that my Tamron 18-200 Di II is not good enough glass for the K20D. I have a feeling the sensor is too good and the glass cannot resolve the image good enough. Either that or my K20D body is faulty coz I am still not convinced that the camers produces enough quality shots yet.

I am about to send it back to Pentax to be checked and if they say nothing is wrong i'll throw it in the garbage and go to a Canon 450D.
Instead of throwing your K20D out, send it to me! I'll gladly take it.

Seriously, before sending it back to Pentax, see about trying some better glass on it. If you don't want to buy another lens, perhaps you can borrow one from another Pentax user and give it another shot--prime or zoom, it doesn't matter.

Heather

06-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Instead of throwing your K20D out, send it to me! I'll gladly take it.

Seriously, before sending it back to Pentax, see about trying some better glass on it. If you don't want to buy another lens, perhaps you can borrow one from another Pentax user and give it another shot--prime or zoom, it doesn't matter.

Heather
I am wondering how a different camera body is supposed to improve the lens he is using......
Perhaps adjusting for front/back focus would help him out too.