Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
It *might* be impossible as the (135 film) image circle *maybe* too tight for the (FF) sensor to move. But whether there is *still* any *adequate* *margin* is actually unknown by most of us.
I don't get it, why would it be too tight, its the sensor that moves, not the circle. As long as the circle fit into the sensor, should it not work?

06-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The problem with this theory is that the lenses available today, built for the APS-C format do not cover the full 35mm format. So, when (if) Pentax goes full frame, users of these lenses don't get to play in the full frame sandbox until they buy glass that covers the full frame.
Good point. I guess I hadn't thought about this since I figured any sane person buys the FA limited lenses.
06-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K20D has actually cured me from wanting a full frame camera so badly. which is why i have no issues investing in DA* lenses right now. While the K1D hits and many will buy it and love their FA lenses on it, i may upgrade to a K40D down the road.
06-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Underexpose? I often dial in -0.5 on mine.

06-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
We'd love to see some samples. I'm sure there's lots to photograph in HK that those of us in the US and Canada would enjoy.
See also:
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=526789&extra=page%3D1
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=526785&extra=page%3D1
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=525199&extra=page%3D1
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=525649&extra=page%3D1
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=525738&extra=page%3D1
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=525630&highlight=%2Blimleung
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=523926&extra=page%3D2
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=526184&extra=page%3D1
h**p://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=285078&page=12#pid6242743

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-23-2008 at 07:52 PM.
06-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The other problem with FF IS could be the size of the lens mount opening. To small and it will vignette. I think the Pentax mount is a bigger opening than Nikon, but Nikon didn't do in body IS.
What if the new Pentax FF lenses and bodies used in lens stabilization? 4:3 has both IS systems going. Pentax could also.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #22
Inactive Account

On the K digital

I happily owned a K100D and found the 6mp sensor great for noise, the .jpegs out of camera were great, and it made a nice package with the pancakes. The AA batteries were a pro and con; the AF seemed slower than K10D, especially when half drained or more, but as I was living abroad and travelling, they were reassuring.

As I had big hands, and wanted faster access to controls such as metering, AF point selection and EV comp, I went for the k10d just as it was being replaced by the K20.

It addressed most the shortcomings, but I lost the high ISO advantage. The IQ between the 2 cameras wasn't that noticeable to me, but It's a much more workable body, especially with the grip. The firmware support for P-TTL wireless via the pop up was handy as well. I also started shooting RAW. The pentaprism viewfinder is really nice, but still tiny compared to my venerable old MX. I get an occasional glitch with the BG-2 grip where rear control wheel is unresponsive unless i move the on-body one first.

Weather sealing has been a boon lately.

So now the K20 seems to address the noise issue, offer fabulous IQ, tweaks the AF system (which I am happy with in all but low indoor light), cures Front and backfocus woes with certain lenses.

Tempting, but I think I'll work the K10 for another season and see where it takes me. Pentax states that future lenses are an 'either/or' deal concerning SDM/screw drive AF, so the DA* series as we know it will be changing.

I'll still likely sell my DA 21 to fund a DA* 16-50 for practical reasons, and if I end up relying on photography to pay the bills, time will tell if Pentax can deliver with or without FF. (or if it can remain as reliable in the field as it has been for me, the ex backpacker)

But for now, I have a roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 in my MX, with a freshly charged winder and a 28mm f/2.8. That's my full frame solution in the mean time.
06-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Underexpose? I often dial in -0.5 on mine.
lol yeah add me to that list. I always dial -0.5 as well.

06-23-2008, 03:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
lol yeah add me to that list. I always dial -0.5 as well.
Try changing the setting to one-third EV increments. I find I quite often need +0.3, -0.3, or -0.7. That's the way it goes though; I never expected the exposure system to outguess me, the photographer.
06-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Waiting...

Not sure what you should do regarding waiting for new equipment... but if things stay the same with Pentax, it takes several months or more - from announcement to hardware arrival. Hard to plan accordingly, but thats the gist of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
So what would you recomend to a person that wants to upgrade to the K20D? I was thinking about the K200D but the wife talked me into getting the best camera for the money. Should I take advantage of the 100 dollar rebate before the end of July or wait till the new cameras come out in September or Oct.
06-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nope. I think I shall first measurebate it to death and publish a test review on it and then forget about it! ;-)

Have you forgot that measurebators don't take photos?!
RiceHigh made a funny

For the most part I agree with your review Rice

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The problem with this theory is that the lenses available today, built for the APS-C format do not cover the full 35mm format. So, when (if) Pentax goes full frame, users of these lenses don't get to play in the full frame sandbox until they buy glass that covers the full frame.

Also, if the go full frame, they lose in camera shake reduction. I suspect they can go to around a 20mm x 30mm sensor and keep SR with full frame glass, but not bigger.
In my personal opinion everyone will have to eventually change over to full frame. There's just too much demand for it, to keep putting it off.

I'd like to see them still offer the APS-C format as an option, but wouldn't count on it.

And I wouldn't worry about SR. It really shouldn't take all that long for someone to come up with an in-body SR system.
I understand that both Canon and Nikon owners are starting to ask for it as well.

IS built into the lenses was probably the only way to go in the film days, but sure not the way of the future.
06-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
In my personal opinion everyone will have to eventually change over to full frame. There's just too much demand for it, to keep putting it off.
I have to disagree with this. Those who post in photography forums do not represent more than a niche market. Certainly there is *some* demand for it, but even Canon sells a lot more 40Ds than 5Ds. It's definitely beneficial to a brand to have pro-level gear in the catalogue, but even though it makes those users feel better about the label on their camera, they'll spend more time lusting for it than actually buying it. Pentax would gain a LOT more market share by having smaller bodies than by having a full-frame body, IMO. Other than the 3 FA Limiteds, Pentax has no real lens catalogue to go with a FF body, and I don't think they have the resources to even restart the FA lineup again. Now as for Samsung... anything is possible!