Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Actually, I like the K20D!

From what I can see so far (according to my "pseudo science" or "crappy" research and "invaluable" hands on experiences ;-)) , the colors and resolution are the best than all previous Pentax DSLRs and is actually very good IMO.

The level of details at higher ISO speeds is amazing (as I told months ago here when the first sample images surfaced) and I found it maybe the best amongst all other APS-C DSLRs, especially considering its higher pixel count. The "bundled" noise would be another problem - but I found these to be marginally acceptable up to ISO 1600.

The AF accuracy has been improved for daylight and continuous AF starts to work..

However, there are still a number of (old) concerns that bug me. Otherwise, I have bought one now (it is around $1,000 cheapest now for the body in my city). Namely:-

1. Underexposure re-confirmed once again (e.g., as we can see from Ned Bunnell's sample photos - most of them need a +0.5 to +1EV compensation to make them look right, even with RAW processing). Actually, this is the major issue, the inaccurate and inconsistent metering will never make the Pentax DSLR as an reliable photographic tool nor it can be used casually or in a hurry;

2. Sluggish low light AF and annoying huntings (really), and, tungsten light will still lead to front focusing;

3. The future of APS-C for DSLRs is not that bright (nor I do like more the lack of 3d feel and DoF control of the APS-C on day one). It seems that APS-C format will come to an end very soon with the lanuch of Nikon D700 and the long-time and widely rumoured Canon 7D or 5D MkII (both are believed to surface in Photokina around September).

Anyway, as I still wish to have my K100 replaced soon, so it maybe the K20D this time!

06-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Alleluiah! He's seen (almost) the light!
06-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Holy macaroni, a positive Pentax post from Ricehigh!? Stop the presses! (I kid )

You do make a good point about APS-C. I really start to wonder what camera makers are going to start to do to their body revisions, as we just can't have crammed megapixels on the same size sensors and still maintain quality.

I'm betting sensor sizes will start to slowly creep upward., though I have to question the viability of this type of approach.
06-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So....you going to go out and take some pictures with it?

06-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

We'd love to see some samples. I'm sure there's lots to photograph in HK that those of us in the US and Canada would enjoy.
06-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
3. The future of APS-C for DSLRs is not that bright (nor I do like more the lack of 3d feel and DoF control of the APS-C on day one). It seems that APS-C format will come to an end very soon with the lanuch of Nikon D700 and the long-time and widely rumoured Canon 7D or 5D MkII (both are believed to surface in Photokina around September).
I don't see any relevance of this to whether you would buy a camera today. Who cares what the future of APS-C is... if it works in a camera today that takes the pictures you want then go for it. Using this logic you would never buy a computer, since there is no future in any of the current processors either. They are just going to get better and better and need new socket mounts your current computer does not support.

A camera is just a tool for using a lens. Invest in really good glass and update your body as you need later.
06-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
We'd love to see some samples. I'm sure there's lots to photograph in HK that those of us in the US and Canada would enjoy.
See: Pentax °Q½×°Ï - DCHome.net ¼Æ½X¤Ñ¦a½×¾Â *»´ä²Ä¤@*ӼƽX¬Û¾÷ºô¯¸ - Powered by Discuz!

06-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I don't see any relevance of this to whether you would buy a camera today. Who cares what the future of APS-C is... if it works in a camera today that takes the pictures you want then go for it. Using this logic you would never buy a computer, since there is no future in any of the current processors either. They are just going to get better and better and need new socket mounts your current computer does not support.

A camera is just a tool for using a lens. Invest in really good glass and update your body as you need later.
Even it will be replaced sooner or later, I would expect a body which could still last longer. Not even to say about for a system which has the time longevity from now on.

Also, if I replace my K100D by a K20D, I would expect much (or at least some) improvement in every aspect in particular about the shortcomings of my K100D which I don't like about.
06-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
So....you going to go out and take some pictures with it?
Nope. I think I shall first measurebate it to death and publish a test review on it and then forget about it! ;-)

Have you forgot that measurebators don't take photos?!
06-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope so myself! n/t

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Alleluiah! He's seen (almost) the light!
Nooooooooo Texxxxxxxt
06-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

The problem with this theory is that the lenses available today, built for the APS-C format do not cover the full 35mm format. So, when (if) Pentax goes full frame, users of these lenses don't get to play in the full frame sandbox until they buy glass that covers the full frame.

Also, if the go full frame, they lose in camera shake reduction. I suspect they can go to around a 20mm x 30mm sensor and keep SR with full frame glass, but not bigger.
06-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The problem with this theory is that the lenses available today, built for the APS-C format do not cover the full 35mm format. So, when (if) Pentax goes full frame, users of these lenses don't get to play in the full frame sandbox until they buy glass that covers the full frame.

Also, if the go full frame, they lose in camera shake reduction. I suspect they can go to around a 20mm x 30mm sensor and keep SR with full frame glass, but not bigger.
Why not? What is it that is so exceptionally impossible? I hear alot that it is impossible, but I have no clear picture of why it would be impossible.
06-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what would you recomend to a person that wants to upgrade to the K20D? I was thinking about the K200D but the wife talked me into getting the best camera for the money. Should I take advantage of the 100 dollar rebate before the end of July or wait till the new cameras come out in September or Oct.
06-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Why not? What is it that is so exceptionally impossible? I hear alot that it is impossible, but I have no clear picture of why it would be impossible.
It *might* be impossible as the (135 film) image circle *maybe* too tight for the (FF) sensor to move. But whether there is *still* any *adequate* *margin* is actually unknown by most of us.
06-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
So what would you recomend to a person that wants to upgrade to the K20D? I was thinking about the K200D but the wife talked me into getting the best camera for the money. Should I take advantage of the 100 dollar rebate before the end of July or wait till the new cameras come out in September or Oct.
I think if you have a K100D, it is not worth to go K200 as the improvement is not significant. When the K20D was first marketed, it did not have good value as it was sold too expensively. But now as the price has been lowered quite significantly, you may consider to get the K20D instead. Weightwise, I think the K20D is not much heavier than the K200 when batteries are inserted.