Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Processing software for K50

I recently purchased a new K50 body to replace my Kx. It came with a CD-Rom which can be downloaded onto my Mac computer for processing RAW images (Only RAW it says). I usually shoot in JPEG. Many of you Pentax users seem to be professionals or advanced amateurs and probably use Photoshop for this purpose. However, for my own limited processing needs I find that the iPhoto program that was installed in my Mac seems very adequate. I can crop images, alter color, sharpen images, and print decent photos. I also spend a lot of time making slide shows for family events and can add music as well. I'm sure that if I invested in Photoshop I would learn a few more tricks that I would like, but I'm basically satisfied with iPhoto. Can anyone tell me if the Pentax software package is worth installing. I don't want to overload my computer with software that won't be a significant improvement over what I have now? How good is the Pentax software?

10-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some people like it, but most will recommend something else.

Light Room and Elements are popular. Depends what you want to do primarily - catalog or edit.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... is free. Not sure about the Mac thing.
10-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I personally found the Pentax software clumsy. Those who like it will hopefully reply.
10-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It sounds like iPhoto is exactly what you need. I used the Pentax software a few times. Didn't really like it. I use RawTherapee, but that's mainly for RAW editing. Since you're not doing RAW, just stick with the iPhoto.

10-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 and Mac here - I use LightZone and am learning to use Photoshop Elements 13 and DarkTable...

not sure I've ever opened iPhoto....and now it's been replaced by Photos...
10-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

I use both Photos and Light Room. If you don't want to do a lot of editing/ fine tuning then Photos is fine (though I miss iPhoto, much better app!). Light room is definitely more powerful and I use that for when I really want to make sure a photo is spot on for sharpness, etc. or if I didn't get it quite right for whatever reason.

It really depends on what you want to do with your pictures.
10-02-2015, 02:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
I personally found the Pentax software clumsy. Those who like it will hopefully reply.
If you are talking about Silky Pix, 3 things:

1. The programme is really a nondestructive RAW development program. It can handle jpegs, but that is not its focus. Get something else if you use mainly jpegs and/or develop mostly in the camera. And once you develop your pics, you will find that scaling and other final retouching/publishing operations are best done in GIMP/Photoshop/etc. (as is true of Lightroom and other development programmes).

2. The learning curve for its RAW development functions is high as it is has its very own organization scheme that takes a while to make sense of. In particular, you need to work (generally) vertically down through the main tools--something I find nowhere in the rather Japanglishly written documentation. But also there are specialized tools you would only use on some pics which are in icons grouped at the bottom. A few other tools are only in drop down menus. Once you understand this work flow, it becomes easy 2nd nature. But it is quirky at first and the documentation is hard to get a handle on at first.

3. If you pay for the top Pro version--and if you continue to use it I most definitely would--you get some very valuable extra tools. In particular I find the HDR development tool which beautifully brings out details in underexposed areas an especially valuable tool to develop bright sunlit seacoast landscapes that also have very deep shadows--a very common occurance in my Newfoundland shooting area...especially in winter.

I like it after upgrading and learning.

Last edited by jgnfld; 10-02-2015 at 03:16 AM.
10-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everybody for their valuable input. I have gotten used to iPhoto and it does all of what I think I want. One of you mentioned that he didn't like the Pentax software and that iPhoto was replaced by Photos. I assume that Photos is an improvement over iPhoto and will be easier for me to learn after my experience with iPhoto. I think I'll check this out first. Thanks again everybody.

10-04-2015, 04:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
I'd like to thank everybody for their valuable input. I have gotten used to iPhoto and it does all of what I think I want. One of you mentioned that he didn't like the Pentax software and that iPhoto was replaced by Photos. I assume that Photos is an improvement over iPhoto and will be easier for me to learn after my experience with iPhoto. I think I'll check this out first. Thanks again everybody.
I find that Photos is a step back in some ways compared to iPhoto. It tries to make things 'easier' for the average user which means some of the functionality has gone/been hidden. Plus you can't transfer photos between the two libraries easily, grrr!

If I had realised the differences beforehand I would have tried to avoid the 'upgrade' personally.
10-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
I find that Photos is a step back in some ways compared to iPhoto. It tries to make things 'easier' for the average user which means some of the functionality has gone/been hidden. Plus you can't transfer photos between the two libraries easily, grrr!

If I had realised the differences beforehand I would have tried to avoid the 'upgrade' personally.
Thanks Sassinak. Your comment gives me something to think about.
10-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Forum Member

You're welcome - you can install the two side by side I have discovered so you can see which you prefer (just to get my hands on some of my old pictures which I hadn't saved and so lost the original RAW files).

I just wouldn't recommend transferring anything across until you have tried Photos.
10-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
You're welcome - you can install the two side by side I have discovered so you can see which you prefer (just to get my hands on some of my old pictures which I hadn't saved and so lost the original RAW files).

I just wouldn't recommend transferring anything across until you have tried Photos.
Good advice. Thanks again.