Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Camera at home cleaning?

I have two K-30s (for my wife and I) that I purchased nearly two years ago. Both now have a lot of mileage on them. Is there any maintenance or general cleaning that should be and can be done periodically? I clean the outsides with a semi damp cloth but is there anything that should be done internally? I change lenses fairly often and I sometimes notice lint/small debris in the view finder but can't see it on the mirror or pentaprism bottom. I imagine sticking a Q-tip inside is a bad idea.

Also, If I'm in the field taking pictures and notice the front element of the lens has lint on it, is wiping gently with a soft clothing a no-no?

10-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

you can test for dust on the sensor by taking a picture of a neutral background at a very small aperture. if you see specks, the first thing to try is using a rocket blower. 99% of the time it takes care of dust on the sensor. don't use canned air as it can leave a residue.

if there's dust specs that you can't get rid of, they have sensor cleaning kits. most people don't want to risk doing it themselves, so they'll pay someone else to do it. the kit is basically ultra pure methanol and a lint free swab on a plastic stick the width of your sensor. i wouldn't recommend doing it unless you have a microscope and ballsy.

as for dust on the lens, i don't worry about it anymore after reading this article: LensRentals.com - The Apocalypse of Lens Dust. i'll probably use the rocket blower when i get home or a soft brush
10-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Canned air is not as dangerous as some here make it out to be. I have experimented with it by spraying it on clean window glass after much agitation. You have to shake the can quite vigourously in order to discharge the propellant which evapourate very, very quickly, leaving no visible residue behind. As long as the direction of use is followed, there is almost no chance for any accidental discharge of the propellant.

Sensor cleaning is also easy enough to do, if you use the proper tool like a Sensor Swab from Eclipse. After swabbing the sensor according to instruction, shine a small flashlight on the sensor to see if the offending piece of crud has been successfully removed. Repeat if needed. But as always, wet sensor cleaning should be considered as the last resort. First try using the rocket blower, then canned air, finally the wet sensor cleaning swab - in this order, checking after each stage with a flashlight to see if the debris has been successfully removed or not.

Carry a small blower and a lens cloth in your camera bag to dust off your lenses, if needed.