Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Raw converting

Hi,
I should first tell about my background: I am a new member. I have in many years just used old manual cameras and recently have upgraded to K10D. As I gathered the advantage of shooting in RAW is the ability to change parameters in post processing. However I have got this software Pentax browser which I cannot see any option to change any setting in the image. When I read the manual of the camera it said that DNG is a general format that can be read by other softwares that Pentax. The PS CS can not read this DNG, neither can Lightroom 1.1. It seems that only PS CS3 is able to read this format. Am I right? if so, What is the Idea to have the Pentax browser. What is the idea to shoot RAW and then converting it to JPG in a computer without the ability to alter the settings at all? Pentax laboratory does not semm to do anything at all. How can I open a file into that? It all so disappointing me. Oh Godm I miss good all days with manual cameras.

06-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You do not change settings in Browser. In Photo Browser, select the PEF files you want to convert. Then click the Photo Laboratory button or select it from the Tool menu to open that program.

Change the basic settings in Photo Laboratory (such as file type and quality) then click the Save button. All the PEFs you selected in Photo Browser will be processed in a batch with the same settings. You can also do just one at a time, and you can change the setting for each one.

If you don't see any files in Browser, make sure you are in the right directory for the PEFs, ans make sure that in the View menu, the Filter is set to Pentax files.
06-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

You can try what SpecialK said, or try upgrading to Lightroom 1.4 or higher, as they read the RAWs just fine.

While Pentax Photo Lab can do image adjustments, I could personally never get used to the software, and I now use Lightroom 2.0 64bit beta.
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi

If you coming from old manual film camera's and this is your "first" digital camera then there is quite a long learning curve in terms of digital post processing, for you.

My advice would be to get to know your camera in every way by just shooting "jpeg" files and learn how to pp them - personally I take so many pictures I hardly use "raw" mode as I just do not have the time and in fact you mainly print at 10 x15 cm you will never no the diff.

When you are 100% happy with your jpeg shots - you can then start utilizing raw capture more often.

Alll the photo's in my gallery were shot at "jpeg" with about 5 mins of pp for each pic - as I am a strict amateur they are fine for me and better than any result I got from color negatives.

Happy shooting

06-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mojtala Quote
I should first tell about my background: I am a new member.
Welcome!

QuoteQuote:
I have in many years just used old manual cameras and recently have upgraded to K10D. As I gathered the advantage of shooting in RAW is the ability to change parameters in post processing.
No, that's NOT the advantage of saving raw files in your camera. If you save jpegs instead of the raw data, you can still "change parameters" like exposure, etc. In fact, you can do to jpegs just about everything you can do to raw files.

So why use raw? Because the raw file contains a LOT more data than any jpeg produced by the camera. Remember, you shoot raw whether you want to or not. Raw is simply what the camera "sees". The only question you have is whether you want the camera to use its tiny little built-in software and processor to convert that raw data to a jpeg (and in the process, throw away forever all the data that won't fit into a jpeg) or whether you want to KEEP all that data and try different ways of converting it later on using a much more powerful computer and conversion software.

QuoteQuote:
However I have got this software Pentax browser which I cannot see any option to change any setting in the image.
As SpecialK has pointed out: You're using the wrong program. The Pentax Browser is for browsing. For editing files, use the Photo Lab software. Or consider getting one of the many excellent third-party programs, such as Bibble (Pro or Lite), Adobe Lightroom, Silkypix, or others.

QuoteQuote:
When I read the manual of the camera it said that DNG is a general format that can be read by other softwares that Pentax. The PS CS can not read this DNG, neither can Lightroom 1.1.
I am not sure what the problem is. I've processed files from the K10D with every version of Adobe Lightroom (including the current public beta for version 2) and Adobe Lightroom can indeed read the DNG files produced by the K10D (and the new ones produced by the K20D). Make sure you've got the latest version of Adobe Lightroom.

QuoteQuote:
It seems that only PS CS3 is able to read this format. Am I right?
No, you're not right.

QuoteQuote:
if so, What is the Idea to have the Pentax browser. What is the idea to shoot RAW and then converting it to JPG in a computer without the ability to alter the settings at all? Pentax laboratory does not semm to do anything at all. How can I open a file into that? It all so disappointing me. Oh Godm I miss good all days with manual cameras.
I can't help you with Photo Lab in particular as I don't use it. I use Lightroom (both 1.4 and 2b), Light Crafts LightZone and Bibble Pro, and I am able to edit both PEF and Pentax DNG files in any of these programs. No, I take that back: I think LightZone still has a problem with the files produced by the K20D although it can read the files (both PEF and DNG) from the K10D just fine.

Perhaps you should get into your camera's settings (Menu > Rec Mode > Raw file format...) and change your raw file format to PEF. That's Pentax's raw format. Photo Lab will surely read and edit that, and nearly every other program I know (except for LightZone) will do so.

Look, it takes a tiny bit of effort, reading, etc. to get up to speed with the powerful new digital tools. I think it's more than worth it.

Will
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
You can try what SpecialK said, or try upgrading to Lightroom 1.4 or higher, as they read the RAWs just fine.
I can't remember, this may be right. I started using Lightroom during the v1 public beta, but that was before I got the K10D. I was shooting then with a K100D.

Anyway, I don't know how the OP could have a version older than 1.4. I think 1.4 was released way back in 2007 - certainly, before the public beta of 2 began and that was months ago now - so I can't think of a reason why he should have a problem with a K10D file (PEF or DNG) in Lightroom 1.4.

Will
06-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

PEF vs DNG

Mojtala,

Let me elaborate on one more point.

You have a choice about what file format to save your raw data in. The choice is between Pentax's own file format, PEF, or the file format that Adobe is pushing as a standard, DNG (for "digital negative").

Note that DNG is by no means "universal," although it is sometimes incorrectly described that way. DNG is like Adobe's PDF: An attempt to produce a standard file format that can be written by third-party companies and read by everybody as well. But just as there are many versions of PDF, there are many different DNG formats. Light Crafts LightZone 3 can read the DNG files produced by my K10D, but unless they released an update recently that I missed, it still cannot read correctly the newer and larger DNG files produced by the newer Pentax K20D. So not all DNGs are the same, not by a long shot. Of course, the same thing is true of PEF. The 6 MB PEF files written by the Pentax *ist DS are different (I think) from the 6 MB PEF files written by the Pentax K100D; and I know they're different from the larger PEF files produced by the K10D and the even larger files written by the K20D.

If you want to save raw data in your Pentax camera, you have to make a choice: PEF or DNG. Which should you choose? I urge you to use PEF, at least here at first.

First, PEF raw files are smaller than the DNG files written by your camera. Your camera's firmware compressed the data (without data loss) when it writes a PEF, but does NOT compress the data when it writes a DNG. It's exactly the same information - but it's packaged more efficiently when written as PEF. So you can get more PEFs on an SD card than you can DNG files. (On the plus side for DNG: The camera writes a DNG to the SD in less time than it takes to write a PEF file. This will matter to you only if you're shooting contiinuous and you want the maximum number of shots in a series.)

Second, if you shoot PEF, you can always convert to DNG on your computer using the free Adobe DNG Converter, a little utility that does just one thing: convert raw files to DNG. It isn't as easy to take DNG files out of the camera and convert 'em back to PEF. (This is something that I recently had a good reason to want to do.)

So until you've had a chance to inform yourself on the matter and come up with your own opinion, I would strongly recommend that you use PEF. At least in the short term, it is a safe choice.

Will