Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Rupert,
Thank you for the very generous offer. She would be over the moon, I think she would even take some Baltimore squirrel photo's for you. I need to talk to my boss at home about coming up with some more money. One question, I have never handled the k-5 how does it compare to the k-50?

10-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Rupert's K-5 is definitely the cream of the crop vying for the OP's attention. Electronics aside (every DSLR offers more or less the same features), it has great ergonomics, and quiet shutter. Op's daughter can shoot in a hushed auditorium with the K-5 without much notice, other cameras mentioned here would make her the centre of attention. I was shooting with a K20D in a recital and I was cautioned because the official videographer was picking up the K20D's shutter noise on his video camera, and the K-x and the K-r are even louder than the K20D.

Hell, even though I already have a K-5, I was briefly tempted to pm Rupert to ask him to sell it to me - think EM-5, EM-5...
10-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Forum Member

that k5 would be a great choice. i have 2 k50's and its a shame used prices haven't dropped much on them yet since bodies are around 350 new. the k5 at that price is a good deal and you wouldn't really have to worry about ever needing to upgrade anytime soon if ever. plus it would retain resale value. the k7, kr, kx, k20d would also be good options around that price point. the k30 if your lucky enough to find one cheap would also be good. that k5 is probably a better camera than all of them though. specs wise it def is.
10-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd vote for the K-5, at that price, and from such a reputable forum member, and I'm biased (the other way) since I'm a K-01 fanboy...
I would never suggest someone who's just starting with the thing a K-01 though, too "peculiar"... one has to be a wee little more knowledgeable to fully exploit the power of the thing and work around some of its quirks... a "regular" DSLR is perfect IMHO, and the K-5 is fantastic.

10-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #20

anyone interested in crowdfunding this? if we can get at least two others to chip in, i'd pitch in some money to try and make your balance down to $150
10-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hmmm
K10 or K20 ...
I own both and either would make an excellent entry DSLR .
K5 for the same money ? Why the heck not .
10-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
Rupert,
Thank you for the very generous offer. She would be over the moon, I think she would even take some Baltimore squirrel photo's for you. I need to talk to my boss at home about coming up with some more money. One question, I have never handled the k-5 how does it compare to the k-50?
I can't compare the K-50....I know nothing about it, but I do know my K5 has been wonderful! I've shot a little of everything with it and been well pleased.

I'm in no hurry, I wasn't planning a sale at this time until I saw your request and need. Get back with me in a day or so and let me know something, there are others that might want to take that offer if you don't.

Didi I mention that squirrels love a K5 camera?

Yep, they even carry the Otis Seal of Approval......few cameras get that!

Best Regards!

10-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'd recommend the K-x over the K20d as the 12 megapickle sensor in the K-x is quite lovely.
Would you please stop saying pickles?

The K-x is a decent body. However, it lacks overlay in the viewfinder of the focus points. This may or may not be an issue with the class work.

The K-5 would definitely be the superior choice.. if you can swing it. The K-50 (and K-r and K-x) feels cheap and plasticky in comparison. The K-5 definitely feels like a professional tool just holding it. I was rather impressed at the difference.
10-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Professional feel ..
Id give it to the K20 ...
I wish the K5 had been built on the same body ..
I love the feel of the K20 , I also like the K5 , but the edge goes to the k20 for professional feel ... ( For me ) And thats a rather old camera now .
The other camera that has a similar feel for me is the K10 ..
The K5 , to me its like Pentax / Ricoh really didn't try that hard . Dont get me wrong , the K5 is a great camera , but (?) too often now , its almost the last camera I reach for .
Actually , I should take it out of the hard case and play with it ... ( Its been a while )
10-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I took a lot of wonderful shots with my old K20D, and it was so dependable and trustworthy too. I can't recall that it felt any more solid than my K5 or K5IIs, but it did have a nice feel to it also. I used it in some studio shooting for a while and it performed very well. I do think the WB and color is better on the K5 series, but that's just my thought.
K20D

I'd be hard pressed to say anything negative of my old K20D, it was a winner!

The low light edge most certainly goes to the K5 series. Depending on your needs that can make a huge difference.

I think theK10D rendered the most appealing photos to my eyes, but you sure had to watch the ISO and keep it low to get what you desired. If you could stay below 800, it was magnificent!
K10D

Regards!
10-05-2015, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Looks like focusr3 is going to purchase my K5 for his daughter...we seem to have a pending deal. I checked it out yesterday, charged the battery and mounted my old Bigma (soon to also go on sale) on it to take a few shots and make certain it was all in good order....it was!

K5 original ...my last shots before shipping.

In reality, the old K5 and old Bigma are almost equal to my new K5IIs and new Bigma HSM OS 50-500. Either set are fully capable, with the edge going to the K5IIs in very low light and the quiet focus to the new Bigma. Otherwise, I could shoot with either and be perfectly satisfied.

I hope the OP's daughter will get addicted to photography and become a true enthusiast. The K5 will meet her needs for a long time and hopefully lead to a lifetime of photographic pleasure.

Regards!
10-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can, get Rupert's K-5. I'll PayPal $20 somewhere to contribute if that helps. Rupert's offer is more than generous and that camera is a great one that still holds it's own against newer models. I still use mine for paying gigs.
After that the K-x and K-20 are not bad choices either. The K-x is probably capable of nicer photos because of the improved sensor, but the K-20 will probably be nicer to use because of the controls and handling. The K-5 is pretty much the best of both of those worlds unless you have very big hands. I bet it would be great for your daughter.
10-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
If you can, get Rupert's K-5. I'll PayPal $20 somewhere to contribute if that helps.
Matt that is generous, but all my proceeds will be going to Otis' Starving Blind Orphan Squirrel Fund....so you might reconsider. His fund is already under investigation by several Govt agencies for consumer fraud and misappropriation of funds. That trip Otis took to the Bahamas last Jan-Feb was not conducive to good appearances, was it? Leaving little orphan squirrels in the dead of winter with a ration of one peanut a day does not make for happy donors....

I am only donating to keep him from destroying my Jeep wiring like he has done twice when I failed to contribute.

Who worries about Angry Birds when Angry Squirrels are the real threat?

It's cheaper by far for me to just donate to his fund and save the headache and expense....

Regards!
10-05-2015, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you could invest the proceeds?
10-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #30

Original Poster
Rupert,
Sample shots look amazing.She won't be able blame the gear.Well we don't have a BIGMA but she doesn't need that reach (yet). She doesn't really know what her style is but is very excited about photography right now, and I also hope she will for years to come.

QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
anyone interested in crowdfunding this? if we can get at least two others to chip in, i'd pitch in some money to try and make your balance down to $150
and mattb123.

I would like to thank Both of you for you generosity, I can make it work without the kick in but once again the pentaxforums community shows it's support to one another this is something you don't see very often theses days especially for one's we don't personally know.