Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No problem, I love to hear about kids learning photography and like to support the idea whenever possible. Good luck with your budding photographer!

10-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
Sample shots look amazing.She won't be able blame the gear.Well we don't have a BIGMA but she doesn't need that reach (yet). She doesn't really know what her style is but is very excited about photography right now, and I also hope she will for years to come.
Well, I am glad to hear that, and that she has a real interest, not just trying to get through a course.

I would like to thank Both of you for you generosity, I can make it work without the kick in but once again the pentaxforums community shows it's support to one another this is something you don't see very often theses days especially for one's we don't personally know.
There are a lot of good people here...and some half decent squirrels too. The world often looks like an ugly place, but we can't forget there are still plenty of good guys and gals out there.

Otis thinks she should make shooting handsome squirrels her life's calling....but from my point of view, once you get tangled up with squirrels it is almost impossible to get loose.

When the feeder gets low, they tap on the windows, like they are at a drive-through placing an order.....

Regards!
10-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert,
Thank you for the very generous offer. She would be over the moon, I think she would even take some Baltimore squirrel photo's for you. I need to talk to my boss at home about coming up with some more money. One question, I have never handled the k-5 how does it compare to the k-50?
Congrats on the K5! And very cool of Rupert & Matt to jump in to help. Let us know how she gets on with her new camera and be sure to post a few shots!
10-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Rupert is cool indeed--my son is using his K20D.

10-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my K-01 with a kit lens for that sort of money. Rupert's K-5 is an excellent deal.
The 16Mp sensor is absolutely brilliant, so either would be capable of great images. Choice between the two depends on desired form factor and simplicity. I would suggest the K-01.
10-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

No viewfinder makes it a nonstarter for learning proper SLR photography; I'd completely skip the K-01 and not think twice about it.
10-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No viewfinder makes it a nonstarter for learning proper SLR photography; I'd completely skip the K-01 and not think twice about it.
There's a difference between proper SLR photography and just photography? Can you look at a photo and tell if was taken with a proper SLR?

10-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's a difference between proper SLR photography and just photography? Can you look at a photo and tell if was taken with a proper SLR?
While that may be true if it's a class on using a dSLR then it wouldn't be the right tool.
I don't think we know for sure if that is the focus of this class but it seems pretty likely.
10-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The beauty of using an SLR for a beginner is the ability to see how changes in lens settings affect the image before you shoot. It provides real time experience with things like depth of focus etc. Once you learn these concepts you can carry them to al sorts of cameras. In this digital age where you have almost instant access to your image this is not as important, but it is still a great way to learn to appreciate our lenses.
10-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-01 is more difficult to master for a number of reasons, including but not limited to inferior AF performance (if you're concentrating on learning exposure for instance, it can get in the way - the less distractions the better) and the absence of a viewfinder (also a problem with long lenses since you have to forego the third point for stability).
Single dial, odd button placement (green one for instance), peculiar ergonomics (thin hand grip) make it a nice-looking camera with a difficult handling. It can produce marvelous images, more or less on par with the K-5, but requires additional expertise IMHO. Also, I think it would be better for a beginner to learn a "standard" camera than a one-off design.
10-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #41
Veteran Member

great offer ^^ Rupert & Otis rocks !!
congrats on the K5, it's a award winning camera so there is nothing to complain
10-07-2015, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #42

Original Poster
Once again a thank you to everyone for there assistance. Especially Rupert, The camera should be arriving in the next few days and we Pentaxians will be one more strong. With any luck the Canikons will be doomed.
10-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The camera should be arriving in the next few days and we Pentaxians will be one more strong.
Well, it will probably be next week about Tue/Wed.....USPS would only ship it ground due to the lithium battery. I tried to argue that it was in the same USPS box from Amazon that was shipped in two days, but they wouldn't listen. I guess I should have pulled that label off. I'll know better next time and use FedX.

Anyhow, the little extra inside will be worth her wait, I guarantee!

Regards!
10-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #44
Forum Member

Oooh! I love surprises!

Keep us informed??
10-08-2015, 01:30 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Anyhow, the little extra inside will be worth her wait, I guarantee!
a beautiful Takumar/Pentax MF lens ? I'm curious too