Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best Body for $150 USD

Hello,
I am looking for some suggestions My daughter started a photo class at her high school which has been film and she was using my old canon. Well now they are switching to digital with out warning from my daughter "apparently the papers the teacher sent home at the beginning of the school year aren't important". Well they are starting will PP in photoshop everyone will use the same stock images. So i have a month to find something but I'm budget limited I have some lenses she can use so i need to find a body What is out there that is still good but no more than $150 that is all i can come up with at this time. Thank you in advance for your help.

10-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For that price I'd steer you toward a Kx.
10-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K-r for 150 last year (just the body, but if you have a lens to throw in, it's worth it). K-r and K-x are basically the same camera, with a couple of advantages in the K-r's favor.

If not, I think you can definitely get a K20D for that price. I think it's a great learning tool - the limitations (ISO, dynamic range) plus having all the controls in body, make it a fantastic learning tool in my opinion. And it is still capable of pretty decent results. Especially if you throw in couple manual lenses - 28mm and 50mm which are also pretty cheap. That is what I would recommend
10-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Kx isn't a bad choice.

My preference would be a slightly older body with professional handling. Pentax K20D or Nikon D200. These are sturdy cameras that inspire confidence.

10-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for K20/K-r... not familar with K-x. I was getting comparable pics most of the time from my samsung GX20 (=K20) and K-r. Main reason I preferred the K-r is its better live view. Note that these two behave a bit differently with non-conducting mounts. If you think you'll be using M42 and/or t-mounts i think you'll do better with the K20. But if you can stretch the budget to a s/h K5, lets just say once I made that upgrade i didn't look back!

However for real versatility with a range of old lenses then it's hard to argue with a mirrorless. That's the reason I keep my old Lumix G1 - I have adapters for just about most legacy mounts. Photographically there are good reasons against it too starting with the micro four thirds sensor and its 2x crop factor. Noisier than the pentaxes mentioned and tends to exclude wide angle photography except with panasonic own lenses. Lots of G1's sold when they came out because they were innovative and well featured, fully articulating lcd, good evf and all. so there are lots on the s/h market. i would suggest you can get a body for less than a hundred bucks if you look around.
10-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

if she wants to go fully modern, a K-01 is in that price used.. no viewfinder however.
10-02-2015, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
Hello,
I am looking for some suggestions My daughter started a photo class at her high school which has been film and she was using my old canon. Well now they are switching to digital with out warning from my daughter "apparently the papers the teacher sent home at the beginning of the school year aren't important". Well they are starting will PP in photoshop everyone will use the same stock images. So i have a month to find something but I'm budget limited I have some lenses she can use so i need to find a body What is out there that is still good but no more than $150 that is all i can come up with at this time. Thank you in advance for your help.
What about a K5 in excellent condition? It is just sitting on my shelf unused and lonely. I need to find it a new home. I have the box and the other stuff that comes with it. Excellent camera, has brought me much joy! Now my K5IIs gets all my attention.

I'd work a deal to help your daughter.....$175.00 now including insured shipping, and $50. at some point between now and Thanksgiving.....if that would fit your budget?

I was thinking of bundling it with my 50-500 original Bigma for sale on the Marketplace, but if she needs a great high end camera, this would get her well beyond her needs and into the future.

You can PM me if interested, I'll be gone today but in late this evening.

NOTE: Otis Squirrel has nothing to do with any of my transactions, my Marketplace record is open for inspection. I won't even let Otis help with packing.....he ate the foam peanut padding once, and I had to have his stomach pumped.

Regards!

10-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

That would actually be a good deal for someone Rupert.
10-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

lol i have to sell my k-01 as well (not to offend otis) let me know if i should list it sooner rather than later OP...
10-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That would actually be a good deal for someone Rupert.
Yes...an excellent deal...and old Rupert often throws in a little bonus gift with the shipment!

Regards
10-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Kx isn't a bad choice.

My preference would be a slightly older body with professional handling. Pentax K20D or Nikon D200. These are sturdy cameras that inspire confidence.
yup - I'd vote K20D... very capable (now I upgraded to a K5 and gave my K20D to my daughter - but it is a very solid performing camera)
10-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Since you mentioned Canon, I'd get a her 20D - the Canon version. You can find them in great condition for under $150, with a lens.
10-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #13

>> K200d

-Use of AA batteries
-Weather sealed
-Grip option
-Great ergonomics
-Superb build quality
10-02-2015, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I'd recommend the K-x over the K20d as the 12 megapickle sensor in the K-x is quite lovely.
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm not pushing to sell my K5.....I can sell it or not, it has little effect on my budget, but it is an excellent camera. The Canon can't do this.....

Handheld K5 1/250 @ 500mm.......SR is wonderful!

...or 1/200 @ 500mm handheld.

...or 1/160 @ 500mm handheld

...or 1/200 handheld @ 500mm

...and it shoots people too!

I loved my K20D, but it is no match for the K5 at high ISO. The K5 will get you shots at 12,800 as easily as my K5IIs...but the K20D would struggle past 3200...at best.

K5....The reviews speak for themselves, it's a great camera!

Regards!