Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-30 is mortally wounded - options on upgrade??

Hey there everyone!

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Niagara Falls later this month. So, naturally, my K-30 has chosen *now* to start having that *&&*^^&%%^ problem with the aperture controls and the severe underexposure issue... The camera's right at two years old, only 4200 clicks on it. While looking around for the extended warranty paperwork I'm mulling over my options. I figure even if I send it in it's out of action for this trip.

Rent a K-30 body from lensrental.com for the trip - I know the menus and controls and so on, so no fumbling around with new stuff on a once-in-my-lifetime trip

Spring for the K-S2 bundle from Costco and spend the time until trip adjusting to it...

Get a used K5 body from ___ and spend the time adjusting to it...

I **NEED** the WR sealing, we are going to be around and under the Falls... Primary lens will be my 18-135WR. I am taking along my WG-10 too, for the walk at the base of the falls, but I want my top gear along too.

Since I am going into the poorhouse already to pay for this, I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible - a new K-3IIs isn't in the works...

JIm

10-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

K-S2 deal from Costco. It's a no-brainer. If you're a member.
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

How come you didn't consider a K-50? Priced like a prosumer camera lately and no new camera workflow to learn.
Also, I picked up a used K-r from the Marketplace for reasons also including my K50 being somehow unavailable (ie. in the shop when the aliens land on my front lawn and declare World Contact Day).

Another question to ask yourself: is this camera to be your main camera of the future or the backup? If main, you might want to splurge a bit after all - bite the bullet now, reap the rewards over the (hopefully more than two) years of use.
10-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jinnax Quote
Another question to ask yourself: is this camera to be your main camera of the future or the backup?
This is the most important question, especially if that stupid-cheap sub-$700 deal on the K-3 with flash and DA50/1.8 is still going (see Price Watch). That one might be worth stretching a little more for.

10-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd stretch for this K3 deal too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/304034-k-3-649-w-fr...0mm-flash.html
10-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree, the K-3 deal with free lens and flash is worth it.
10-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's analyze:
K3 deal with DA 50 & flash is $649 Selling the DA 50 and Flash may net $125 or more depending on the speed you need to sell these at. Net cost may be as low as $525.

KS2 deal at costco - $499 (only if you are already a member - otherwise add the membership costs to this price) - two new lenses that you can sell - likely market value of $120 or so. Net as low as $379.

K50 deals body only are around $300 or less. Nothing to sell off net = price.

Personally, I would find a way to stretch for the K3 - but I'm not the one with the decision to make. If cost is a major concern I agree with others that a K-50 or a used K-5 (K-5ii/iis) would be another approach that might work best. Not my wallet...
10-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Why didn't I think about a K-50... Umm, brain flatulence? D'oh!

Main or backup... A darn good question. I'm a hobbyist, so the K-30 has met my needs and then some. At the moment, my K100D is the backup, and can continue that role. Future - Hmmmm. If I can dig out the warranty this afternoon and it's covered, then I am more likely to get it fixed and keep it as main. If not, then a rental now and upgrade in a few months after we pay the trip off might be in order. I just don't think I can swing too much more 'stretch' into an upgrade right now.

Jim

10-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I **NEED** the WR sealing, we are going to be around and under the Falls...
Just be careful, because a big splash could still potentially ruin the camera.

I'd recommend the K-50 (most affordable) or K-S2 (a upgrade in terms of hardware) if you're fine with its smaller size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-02-2015, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #10

Be careful zooming in and out with the 18-135 since it sucks air into the lens when you extend it. You should adjust the zoom slowly to avoid pulling any water past the weather sealing. The air is also very humid base of the falls, and that humid air will end up inside your lens and body, even with the weather sealing. I took mine to Niagara Falls and later I was surprised to notice that there was fog in my viewfinder and upper LCD when I brought the camera out in my air conditioned home. My camera still worked, but I was a bit freaked out and I left it with the lens off in a desiccator box for a few days just in case.

The first thing you should do when you get away from the falls and the humidity is pump the lens a bit to push the humid air out and pull dry air in. If you have any moisture inside, remove the battery, separate the lens from the body, open every port on the body, and put it in a dry bag with rice or desiccants to pull out the moisture. (Don't get rice inside it though!) Pentax cameras aren't water proof, but the weather sealing is really useful as long as you stay within reason. I'm glad I was able to get some awesome one time shots that I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking with other cameras.
10-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just be careful, because a big splash could still potentially ruin the camera.

I'd recommend the K-50 (most affordable) or K-S2 (a upgrade in terms of hardware) if you're fine with its smaller size.
Thanks, Adam. I think the size would be OK, hands aren't all that big and the K-30 body has been no problem at all so the K-S2 ought to be good. Have to talk it over with the Boss when she gets home, see what I can get away with.

For the walkway that takes you right to the base, I'm taking along some of those rainsleeve covers to supplement the sealing. I will also be taking along the WG-10 just in case I feel it's too wet even for the sleeve... The sleeve will probably also be in use on the Maid of the Mist outing.

One and Only, good points! I will make sure to take along some desiccant and watch the zooming...

Jim
10-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from K30 to KS2. I really thought the flippy screen would be better than the higher resolution of the K3. I think I was right. I love low-angle shots, and this has saved my knees quite a bit. The KS2 feels like an IQ bump from the K30 as well. Most everything works the same, so no real learning curve.
10-02-2015, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I found my warranty info at last... Turns out I had bought a 3-yr warranty plan thru Amazon.com, so I will be talking to them about getting the K-30 repaired. At the same time, The Boss said I might as well get a replacement rather than a rental for the upcoming trip...

So I think I'll go with the K-50 when B&H reopens tomorrow, and it will become primary body. When the 30 gets back from whatever it needs, it'll be a backup, along with the K100D. Now I just have to make up my mind between stormtrooper white and ruby red for the new one

Thanks for all the discussion and points to ponder!

Jim
10-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-50 ordered from B&H when they reopen

A nice bright shiny red one!

Jim
10-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #15

does anyone know if the K50 or K-S2 or K5ii suffers the same aperture motor problem that the K30 has (or any other problem for that matter)? I have the same problem...2yr old k30 with near black photos...what a let down. So, I'm in the market to replace.