Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

"I know camera prices are high here, but my gas is only $1.87 a gallon, so I guess it all evens out!"

they are not high compared to UK prices and our gas is nearly $10 a gallon.. he he

trog

02-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #17

Ish,
I made a typo, I meant that the K110D is cheaper than the D40 (too man 1's and 0's in the Pentax lineup). Here are the local Canadian prices for comparison:

K110d kit $699
D40 kit $749
K100D kit $799

K10D body $1099
Sony Alpha body $999

Interestingly, the K110 is being heavily discounted currently, with the kit available for $579. The cheapest I've seen the D40 is $729. This might be a good indication that a replacement for the K110 is in the works. With the K10, the opposite is true. The K10 is full-price everywhere, whereas the Alpha and the Rebel XTI are always $100 off (or more) somewhere in town.

Chris
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
With the PMA show less than a month away it is time for us equipment geeks to think about what we would be willing to lay down cold hard cash for. I would like a companion for my K10D with the following specs.
1)Uses all K mount and M42 lenses.
2)No mirror, Either an EVE or LCD viewfinder, or both.
3)As small as possible.
4)I don't care if there is a flash or not
5)6 MP sensor.
6)SR
7)Plastic body. They can be stronger than metal, weigh less, and cost less.

Regards,
Ken, I was reading your mind when I read the original OP. I was thinking of a small, elegant range finder that would flange nicely with my three "pancakes" - That'd be a body I'd buy today.

Jer
02-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The start of a new DSLR trend

I think we could we be sitting on the edge of a whole new concept in relationship to choices of DSLR models. My thinking is based on three facts.

1)Pentax has transitioned into using the “Lean manufacturing” concept. With virtually no inventory in raw goods or finished goods, changing the model that is being manufactured is very easy. Having 8 or 9 different models would present no additional problems or cost.
2)The P & S segment has matured into models for specific markets rather than general purpose cameras. It is now divided into many niche market models.
3)The interview with the Pentax executive out of Switzerland indicated they want to come out with 3 new cameras a year.

All of this seems to indicate we will be seeing new models targeted for specific markets. Sports, landscapes, and studio work would seem to be the most logical first steps. Journalism, street photography, and pocketable could be other models. Each having specs suited for that particular need. We may need to stop thinking in terms of MPs and sensor size but specs for specific uses. There of course will still be the general purpose model as the flagship. I see that as the K10D with models priced not only below and above but also to the right and left.
I can see owning 2 possibly 3 bodies. If I am right the manufacturers are looking at this as a great way of increasing sales.
Regards,

02-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

First I would like to say I couldn't care less about new bodies at this point, I am happy with the K10d.. My problem is we still don't have USM/SSM (or whatever you want to call it) lenses.. So I am not that interested in new bodies when we still can't use one of the major new features of the current model..

I think they should be spending more time getting the new lenses on the market, before they worry about another camera..

As for a camera if I need to offer an opinion. ;-)
- Keep 11 focus points, as focus recompose is not good practice..
- Keep plastic/carbon body it is as strong and lighter than metal.
- Keep 10mp, even 6-8mp would be enough for me..
- Keep k10d body and grip design, it is perfect for me as it is..

Actually the only change I would like is a proper low light focus assist light like the nikons, I would prefer that than using the pop-up flash to strobe like you have to today.
02-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Actually the only change I would like is a proper low light focus assist light like the nikons, I would prefer that than using the pop-up flash to strobe like you have to today.
Yep my Nikon had that, worked really well. Pentax's method ain't that good.
02-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I am thinking that if pentax wants to really be get noticed as a serious contender in the photography world then they need to have a EOS 5D beater (or the D200)
I am not talking about a camera that is going to sell millions, or even make a healthy profit, but pentax needs to get the word out that they are a serious camera company, not a just serious amature company.
my believe is that in photography, like other things in the world like for instance automobiles, that they all need a model that shows the world what stuff they are made of.
like the saying goes, win races on sunday and sell cars on monday.
If people including amatures saw more pentax DSLR's at events, see more pros carry them around, then the thought would be if it is a good camera for so and so, then it must be a good camera for me.

don't get me wrong. the k10 is a very capable camera that a pro would carry around. but they must put a top of the line BMW or rolls roice model out there to get noticed.
more people notice.... more sales.... better lens selection..... better for all of us.

just my 2 Cents

randy
02-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ISH Quote
Pentax will be introducing two new DSLR models at PMA 2007.
ISH, is this your own speculation, or do you get this from your "sources"?

Previous interviews done last year indicated that they were working on a flagship model above the K10D.

02-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #24
ISH

Who me having sources? Goodness no! This is just my speculation like everyone else. Can't wait to find out though!