Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any guesses to what the new Pentax DSLR's will be like?

after reading pentaxlife there was a link to rumours that pentax will bring out more DSLR's at the photo show.
any guesses to what they will be like?

PentaxLife » 645D and K-next-D rumors

here is my very unprofessional stabs at it.....

not sure of models names, but I think that the K100 will be bumped to 8MP to have more appeal to the "I need more MP people"
this model will have the same improvements in SR as the K10. will be kept very simple in the foot steps of the K100.

K10 like model will be higher end...... not sure if it will be full frame sensor as this will increase the cost significantly. possibly a totally new sensor but the same size.
possible to have higher quality components (as in less noise producing components like the Nikon DX2) but not keeping the cost under 2000 dollars.
faster frame rate, possibly a bigger buffer for raw shooting.

just my guesses

any others?

cheers

randy

02-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd guess that they have a 12MP DSLR up their sleeve, but I'd rather see a 6MP with a proper mount and TTL support than another crippled 12MP.

From the site:

QuoteQuote:
As for Pentax 645D medium format digital camera that was announced more than two years ago, it’s release is postponed in order to priorities on DSLRs.
Since when are digital MF cameras not considered DSLRs?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I'd guess that they have a 12MP DSLR up their sleeve, but I'd rather see a 6MP with a proper mount and TTL support than another crippled 12MP.
Yes, exactly same here!

I imagined that some days later Pentax could make a K1000D, which only need to have following essential features, I think:
- CWA and Spot metering in an accurate manner!
- Traditional metal material like those of the K1000 film SLR
- Full K mount support (which should not be so expensive btw)
- traditional TTL support (not very expensive neither)
- Only a single central AF point is needed! (crossed or not)

Well, I think for the shortlisted features I list above, I do believe Pentax can make a cheaper but better camera, by saving costs for those unneccessary things which are of no use and inaccurate!

p.s. but shortsighted camera makers won't let their users to have better backward compatibility just because they want to sell new lenses and flashes! but why don't they think that if they could make a fully compatible body, they can expand more market and eventually their users still will buy more lenses and flashes??

QuoteQuote:
From the site:

Since when are digital MF cameras not considered DSLRs?
What? Pardon? :-))
02-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, exactly same here!

I imagined that some days later Pentax could make a K1000D, which only need to have following essential features, I think:
- CWA and Spot metering in an accurate manner!
- Traditional metal material like those of the K1000 film SLR
- Full K mount support (which should not be so expensive btw)
- traditional TTL support (not very expensive neither)
- Only a single central AF point is needed! (crossed or not)

Well, I think for the shortlisted features I list above, I do believe Pentax can make a cheaper but better camera, by saving costs for those unneccessary things which are of no use and inaccurate!

p.s. but shortsighted camera makers won't let their users to have better backward compatibility just because they want to sell new lenses and flashes! but why don't they think that if they could make a fully compatible body, they can expand more market and eventually their users still will buy more lenses and flashes??
Full support for K-mount lens metering would make things a lot easier...and I agree with your list completely!

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
What? Pardon? :-))
The 645D (MF= Medium Format) is still a DSLR, lol

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In my perfect world, an upgrade of the k100d would have an 8mp CMOS sensor, built in wireless flash trigger, faster frame rate and a huge buffer.

Oh and a bigger and brighter viewfinder
02-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
In my perfect world, an upgrade of the k100d would have an 8mp CMOS sensor, built in wireless flash trigger, faster frame rate and a huge buffer.
Well, I think no one will make new 8MP DSLR by now, neither Canon. They either make 6M for cheap models or 10MP for "mainstream".

Also, why CMOS, my experience is that CMOS won't make better images, except for less noise at higher ISO (but this may be solely owing to Canon's unique image processing technology)

QuoteQuote:
Oh and a bigger and brighter viewfinder
Then, it is of the K10D grade, not at the 100 level :-) Ditto for a larger buffer and faster fps. But do note something increasing the frame rate by sacrifiying image quality is surely not a good idea and what we would like to see!
02-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've heard the rumor multiple time from different websites (taiwan, japan) about the upcoming DSLRs of Pentax...

3 new DSLRs

K100D -> K150D
K10D -> K20D

also the new K200D

K100D production line will stop soon. K150D will have 10MP and compliant with UltraSonic lens.

No details has given for K20D.

K200D will be a similar to K10D performance wise with the body like K100D, lighter, smaller?

02-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Ricehigh. No 8MP camera. They will keep a budget 6Mp to fight off Nikon and Canon. In the last 6 months I have noticed consumers less worried about MP. Word is starting to get out. I think they will also bring an upscale K100D camera out with 10MP. They need to bring out a less expensive P-ttl flash. Wish they would hold off bringing out a K100D repacement. It has received great reviews and is selling well. Not always easy for Pentax to get great reviews!
thanks
barondla
02-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is what I'm hoping for

With the PMA show less than a month away it is time for us equipment geeks to think about what we would be willing to lay down cold hard cash for. I would like a companion for my K10D with the following specs.
1)Uses all K mount and M42 lenses.
2)No mirror, Either an EVE or LCD viewfinder, or both.
3)As small as possible.
4)I don't care if there is a flash or not
5)6 MP sensor.
6)SR
7)Plastic body. They can be stronger than metal, weigh less, and cost less.

The following would be “Nice to have” additional specs.
1)GPS on board.
2)ISO 6400 as clean as ISO 3200 on the K100D.
3)A dust removal system that is better than the K10D.

I would be willing to live with whatever AF and other features they could put in as long as the body sells in the $600 to $700 range. It'll never happen but that is what I would buy in a NY minute.

Regards,
02-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

regken, that's really what I would like to have.

No mirror and pentaprism, just a large swiveling LCD on the back, possibly with a collapsible (sp?) hood.

Small and thin. The needed distance between sensor and mount is given by a tube that is replaceable with a (more expensive) one that has shift and (if possible) tilt. It would also be replaceable with adapters to fit any kind on lenses, including true wideangle like the Hologon. New, non-retrofocus superwideangle would be created for this "thin-mount".

6 megapixel (Foveon three layer kind?), SR, polycarbonate body...

For me, it would be the ultimate camera. I know that today there is not yet a thecnology to have really good LCD, but Pentax with this camera could return to the forefront of photographic innovation.

It would be THE slr for people with NO previous experience with film, and coming from digital compacts.

Something like the 1997 digital concept shown at Photokina, but with a slimmer body.
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
ISH

Pentax will be introducing two new DSLR models at PMA 2007. The first DSLR will be a 6MP version that will be designed to compete with the D40. This redesigned camera will eliminate the *ist line of confusing model names and utilize the name strength that the K100, K110 and the K10D have brought to the market. I anticipate this new DSLR to be a D40 direct competitor with more features and at a lower price cost, perhaps sub $500. Think K110 but a smaller body which means a lighter camera. Money speaks and consumers are buying the D40. Pentax will position this DSLR to be camera right above the D40 in features and right below the D40 in price.

The second camera will be based on the K10D but will be in a smaller body housing without weather sealing. It will still feature a 10MP sensor but will lack the ability to use certain accessories such as a battery grip. Here think K100 with added dust removal and a 10MP sensor. Expect Pentax to add SSM and it would use rechargeable li-ion batteries. It will be a consumer friendly camera adding scene modes to the dial. Price point will be sub $800... perhaps along the line of what the Sony Alpha's are selling for now. Maybe even $749, I can't be sure yet. This will be their direct competitor along the lines to the Canon XTi/400D or the Nikon D80. Expect these two new DSLR's to be carried in most major electronics stores that sell entry level DSLR's (i.e. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...).

I doubt we will see anything earth shattering as in terms of beyond the K10D. For now the K10D is the flagship DSLR for Pentax. The K10D will have added features that will improve the feature set through firmware updates over the next two to three quarters. Pentax will continue to invest money to ensuring the K10D line remains their flagship DSLR for the next several months or even perhaps well into 2008.

Last edited by ISH; 02-09-2007 at 07:41 AM.
02-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wish they would hold off bringing out a K100D repacement.
My sentiments there too. But with the Nikon D40 out (that supposedly has slightly better out of the camera jpg's than the K100/110D), and the Canon XTi, Pentax has got to make another move quickly or lose its momentum.
02-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My guess that those two new DSLRs are successors of K100/K110D. I expect following changes:
- added support for lenses with built-in motors;
- larger buffer and improved processing speed (PRIME engine, unlimited jpeg, up to 10 RAW?)
- DNG support;
- Li-Ion batteries.
- antidust (for model with SR, also ineffective as on K10D).

I don't think they are going to introduce some new DSLR which either slots in between K100D and K10D or is above K10D. Most likely this intermediate model (10MPix camera with smaller and non sealed body) will be introduced around Photokina.

Upgrades for K100D/K110D were very easy to predict, it was clear that they must do that right after they had introduced K10D. K100D/K110D are basically *ist DS/DL and were used as a some temporary support for Pentax to get K10D out, now it is the time to introduce new entry level camera, not just minimal upgrade.
02-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #14

Ish,
I read your comments regarding prices with interest. Obviously pricing in the US is different than Canada. Here the K100 is already priced below the D40, and the Sony Alpha is very close in price to the K10.
Chris
02-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #15
ISH

Chris,

My local camera shop which is pretty much NOT the best price as they stick to roughly MSRP on cameras is what I based the prices on. Yes better deals can be found online and at more competitive prices compared to local stores in Oklahoma.

Current Prices at Epperson Photo in Oklahoma City:

Nikon D40 w/kit lens = $599
Pentax K110D w/kit lens = $599
Pentax K100D w/kit lens = $699
Sony Alpha A100 w/kit lens = $799
Pentax K10D w/kit lens = $999

I know camera prices are high here, but my gas is only $1.87 a gallon, so I guess it all evens out!