Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Night skies means the top LCD is even more useful.

10-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
Not sure... i've only ever messed with a K-X, K-S2, and K-5. Nobody i know shoots Pentax. It's as loud on the shutter as the K-X, i'm told because it's a plastic body and not metal like the K-5. Focusing even louder than K-X, though i'm guessing that's more because of the lenses, and not the camera. Sounds louder because it's MUST faster. The "Plastic Fantastics" outright scream on this thing, which is good and bad. Good because they're incredibly fast now, bad because it's really loud. Startlingly loud the first time i heard them, in fact.
It's not so much the material of the body as that the "metal" bodies have better shutters. The plastic bodies all have cheaper, louder shutters. I've never heard a K10D in action, but I've read that it was quieter than the K100D, and the newer bodies are comparable to that.

The K-3, K-S1 and K-S2 all have faster/more powerful screwdrive motors, which make noisy lenses noisier.
10-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah ok, thanks for the correction.

OP, i could maybe take comparison video of the K-S2 and K-5 today to show noise level differences in shutter and focusing? The K-3 i'm told has a quieter shutter than the K-5, but sounds like it'll be noisy like the K-S2 focusing. Let me know if you'd be interested in that and i can see if i can get my wife to help me after i get out of work in a bit.
10-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

I read an article on the merits of plastic versus metal for camera bodies. Metal bodies have a "solid feel" (= heavy for the dimensions). But from the point of view of manufacturing, a very complex plastic body can be made to higher tolerances more cheaply than a relatively simple metal body. Because plastic is force-injected into the mold, the piece comes out with higher precision in the shape than a typical metal casting before it is machined. Which is more "rugged" or durable? IMHO the jury is out, although the tendency to make the highest end bodies metal suggest more longevity, but maybe it's only the psychology of the "feel." The latter is rather like evaluating a new car by slamming the doors. At the crossover from geared to electronic shutters, people complained about the lost sound, the bzzzz-dap of a mechanical long exposure. But, electronic shutters are hands-down far more accurate and durable.

10-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I haven't heard the K-S2, but the shutter of the K10D is noticeably louder than the K-5 (and also the K-3).

The screw drive on the K-3 is somewhat louder than on the K-5, but it focuses faster and more decisive so that the duration of the sound is shorter. In total, I find the "loudness" of the 55-300 and 100 macro much less disturbing on the K-3.

As for a hat making you a better photographer, I believe WP is right (of course). Most of my best pictures are from Africa. I always wear a broad brimmed hat when in Africa. Q. E. D.
10-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Night skies means the top LCD is even more useful.
Good point!
10-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
Ah ok, thanks for the correction.

OP, i could maybe take comparison video of the K-S2 and K-5 today to show noise level differences in shutter and focusing? The K-3 i'm told has a quieter shutter than the K-5, but sounds like it'll be noisy like the K-S2 focusing. Let me know if you'd be interested in that and i can see if i can get my wife to help me after i get out of work in a bit.
I appreciate it, but it's not necessary; I think the "noise" of the shutter won't be a major fact in my decision making.
10-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I haven't heard the K-S2, but the shutter of the K10D is noticeably louder than the K-5 (and also the K-3).

The screw drive on the K-3 is somewhat louder than on the K-5, but it focuses faster and more decisive so that the duration of the sound is shorter. In total, I find the "loudness" of the 55-300 and 100 macro much less disturbing on the K-3.

As for a hat making you a better photographer, I believe WP is right (of course). Most of my best pictures are from Africa. I always wear a broad brimmed hat when in Africa. Q. E. D.
Thanks for that information!

Ok, I'll dust off my broad brimmed hat!

10-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #24
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Suggestions for new camera body
So Pentax FF is not the correct answer then Carol...
10-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
So Pentax FF is not the correct answer then Carol...

Nope, definitely not the correct answer!
10-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #26
Moderator PEG Judges

definitely not the correct answer!
You'd have even more time to save up... as the dates gone back.
10-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
At my age, the FF may not materialize while I'm breathing!
10-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

You'd have even more time to save up... as the dates gone back.
Alas, the projected price is intimidating. If that projection/guess/rumor is correct, the FF better have many desirable features, missing none, or it will be DOA even for me, and I'm at the point of indulging almost every whim (if not now, when?).
10-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #29
Moderator PEG Judges

At my age, the FF may not materialize while I'm breathing!
Hey steady on, I'm probably older than you and I've waited all this time.
10-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey steady on, I'm probably older than you and I've waited all this time.
Want to bet that you're older than I am? According to your profile, you are a mere youngster, compared to me.