Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Suggestions for new camera body

I'll be getting an upgraded body (still will keep my K10D); I've been leaning towards the KS2. However, it doesn't have the top LCD, nor is a power grip available. I've very drawn to the articulating screen.

The K3 is a little out of my reach; but may have to go this route to get the top LCD (which I use a lot with manual lenses, for the meter). Perhaps with the articulating screen, I'd be able to see the meter better in bright daylight. I do want WR, which both of these have. So any thoughts, as to which one would be the best for me? Mostly landscape, macro, and will be starting photographing night skies. Perhaps I should even consider a used K5IIs with a low shutter count.

Thanks in advance for enduring yet another "what camera" thread!

10-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you'll get more advice than you need. If you do macro, I might go with the KS2 and the articulating screen. Granted it's hard to see in daylight, but it's much easier to frame & focus down low, something that plagues me now. I can remember so vividly getting down on the ground for macros, and getting up without using my hands - no problems. Now both down and up are, well, undertakings. The IQ should be about the same as a K3 (my present Pentax).
10-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know only too well, that getting down on the ground anymore is not possible for me, unless I fall down on the ground; then I wouldn't be able to get up!

Perhaps those that own a KS2 can tell me how "usable" the screen is in bright sunlight.
10-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Wife just got the KS2 and she loves it. She placed a lot of importance on the screen and small size, though. I've messed with it a little and can see the appeal. Very nice rig, perfect replacement for her K-X.

I have a K-5 and i prefer it. The top LCD is something more important to me than an articulating screen. The power grip i'm not sure i care about. Both of our cameras seem to have very long battery life, and we both just carry a spare or two. That said, it's rare that either of us take more than say 300 pictures a day, i don't know what your use would be like.

My HONEST opinion: Your money goes farther with a used K-5ii or K-3 at this point. The K-S2 is great and my wife loves it, but it felt a bit weird paying $200+ more for it than i grabbed my K-5 for, as i like the K-5 better. A used K-5ii should be cheaper than the K-S2, you might be able to find a used K-3 for around the same price as the K-S2, which is what i would do. But it really comes down to your wants/needs.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I know only too well, that getting down on the ground anymore is not possible for me, unless I fall down on the ground; then I wouldn't be able to get up!

Perhaps those that own a KS2 can tell me how "usable" the screen is in bright sunlight.

The screen in bright sunlight is about as "usable" as the screen on my K-5 in live view mode is in bright sunlight. Better than nothing, not great.

Last edited by concealer404; 10-03-2015 at 07:47 AM.
10-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The trick, obviously, is shade. I always wear a broad-brimmed hat. Aside from being devastatingly stylish, it's handy for shading the K3 screen when using focus-peaking (best way for me to focus macro), to provide extra shading of the lens when aiming toward the sun, and for shading out sunlight either to darken a background or shade the subject when flash illumination is better. The fact that it keeps the ever-expanding shiny spot covered is also of some use.
10-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
My HONEST opinion: Your money goes farther with a used K-5ii or K-3 at this point.
Thanks for sharing this information on your wife's KS2. I certainly would not hesitate in buying used, if I can find one with a low shutter count.
10-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The trick, obviously, is shade. I always wear a broad-brimmed hat. Aside from being devastatingly stylish, it's handy for shading the K3 screen when using focus-peaking (best way for me to focus macro), to provide extra shading of the lens when aiming toward the sun, and for shading out sunlight either to darken a background or shade the subject when flash illumination is better. The fact that it keeps the ever-expanding shiny spot covered is also of some use.
Only problem for me using a hat to shade the LCD screen, is I rarely use a tripod, and I use both hands operating the camera. I have to admit though, it would be very stylish, and I do happen to have a broad-brimmed hat. Will it make me a better photographer, as well?

10-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for sharing this information on your wife's KS2. I certainly would not hesitate in buying used, if I can find one with a low shutter count.
No problem!

What i WAS surprised about was that the K-S2 is more megapixels than the K-5. Not that that REALLY matters in my wife and i's level of expertise in this hobby, but it was still surprising.

The K-S2 does all the basics quite well, possibly even faster than the K-5. Focus is crazy fast (especially coming from her K-X), and the IQ is great. It's a LOUD camera though. I'd imagine the K-3 would be best of both worlds.
10-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only problem for me using a hat to shade the LCD screen, is I rarely use a tripod, and I use both hands operating the camera. I have to admit though, it would be very stylish, and I do happen to have a broad-brimmed hat. Will it make me a better photographer, as well?

OF COURSE IT WILL!!! Haven't you seen my posts? If not, lucky you! If you can't hold the hat, even a baseball-style cap (can't imagine where you'll find one) with a big brim may be helpful. I work off a tripod as much as possible, and for almost all macro work. I do like coffee.
10-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So that's been my problem, not wearing my wide-brim hat! The main reason I rarely use a tripod, is most of my photos are "spur of the moment", usually on a walk, so no tripod available. Yep, I have a monopod, but hate carrying anything but my camera when walking; heck I'm lucky at my age to be able to carry myself!
10-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by concealer404 Quote
It's a LOUD camera though.
I wonder how it compares to my K10D? Of course my zoom lenses are quite loud also, and is a problem with wildlife; that's why I use manual focusing if possible.
10-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So that's been my problem, not wearing my wide-brim hat! The main reason I rarely use a tripod, is most of my photos are "spur of the moment", usually on a walk, so no tripod available. Yep, I have a monopod, but hate carrying anything but my camera when walking; heck I'm lucky at my age to be able to carry myself!

Want to compare ages? NO WAY! Mine is classified, eyes only, need to know basis. As he says in the film: older than my teeth and younger than my tongue.
10-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #13
Forum Member

I wonder how it compares to my K10D? Of course my zoom lenses are quite loud also, and is a problem with wildlife; that's why I use manual focusing if possible.
Not sure... i've only ever messed with a K-X, K-S2, and K-5. Nobody i know shoots Pentax. It's as loud on the shutter as the K-X, i'm told because it's a plastic body and not metal like the K-5. Focusing even louder than K-X, though i'm guessing that's more because of the lenses, and not the camera. Sounds louder because it's MUCH faster. The "Plastic Fantastics" outright scream on this thing, which is good and bad. Good because they're incredibly fast now, bad because it's really loud. Startlingly loud the first time i heard them, in fact.

Last edited by concealer404; 10-03-2015 at 08:18 AM.
10-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Want to compare ages? NO WAY! Mine is classified, eyes only, need to know basis. As he says in the film: older than my teeth and younger than my tongue.
I've probably got you beat in the age dept. I'm a young 74 year old.
10-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Concealer, that's something I didn't know, that the KS2 is a plastic body. I know plastic is very tough, etc., but good old metal works for me.