Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

WR - Thank you Pentax, or Ricoh, or whomever

At a photoshoot yesterday i was standing in a pool next to a waterfall, shooting up at a model. When I tried to shift over toward the waterfall a foot, i tripped on a hidden rock and feel int the waterfall with my new-to-me K-5 and brand spanking new (like, a week) DA 16-85 HD etc etc WR. Camera of course ended up under the waterfall, pointed straight up at the flow. I stepped back, shook off the water, and kept shooting.

Soooooo glad I spent the money for WR lenses. So very impressed that the WR exceeds basic expectations.

Last edited by Archimedes the Dog; 10-04-2015 at 12:16 PM.
10-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

WR is a great thing, but don't get over confident. I think the WR lenses are the weak link (don't know about the * lenses), but once water gets through the lens seals it's game over. Fortunately, after brief immersion in the sea, my K5 came back to life. The lens, not.
10-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
WR is a great thing, but don't get over confident. I think the WR lenses are the weak link (don't know about the * lenses), but once water gets through the lens seals it's game over. Fortunately, after brief immersion in the sea, my K5 came back to life. The lens, not.
Lens is fine a day later, thankfully. No internal sign of water. That would have been an expensive stumble.
10-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've shot athletics & soccer in heavy rain with a DA* 60-250/F4. You can shoot for about an hour, but eventually the lens will fog up and require getting under cover, removing the lens, wiping the rear element and operating the zoom a number of times to try to pump out the internal moist air. I think the WR performance would be better if Pentax adopted internal zooming so that the volume of the lens doesn't change when zooming.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-06-2015 at 12:43 PM.
10-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I used my K-5 II & WR 20-40 lens at a church picnic & water balloon fight. Took some direct hits, got drench, but not a problem for the camera gear. Got some good pictures that would have been impossible without WR.
10-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I'm glad I own a Pentax, I have been on holidays in Europe for the past month, three weeks ago while in Sicily at the Alcantara gorge I was crossing the river with my three year old K-30 and 18-135 WR lens when I slipped on a rock and fell over putting myself and my gear in the water. I nearly fully submerged the camera, while it was on. After a quick shake and dry off I turned it off and back on again and it was working fine, went right on taking photos. Once back at my hotel I opened all doors and flaps and it was completely dry inside. It is still working normal and I have gone on to take around another 400 photos. I think that I was very lucky because I don't think the WR is ment to resist against full immersion, but it held up. Thank you Pentax.
10-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I think the WR performance would be better if Pentax adopted internal zooming so that the volume of the lens doesn't change when zooming.
Yeah, the DA* 50-135mm is internal zooming and focussing... which is nice
10-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

My view on WR is that it would protect against immersion IF you are lucky and IF you can IMMEDIATELY reach in and retrieve the camera without delay. Anything more than that is in the laps of the Gods.

10-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have not had a bad accident.
But I've shot in pouring rain with my K-50 and DA 18-55, and they work perfectly fine!
Thanks Pentax / Ricoh for this!