Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can think of lots of reasons to use another brand. Availability of aftermarket lenses and flashes are one good one. Actually, if you rely on flash a lot, you probably don't own a Pentax to begin with. Long glass is quite expensive in Pentax mount and is slowly being discontinued by Sigma and Tamron. But if you can afford a FF body from Nikon or Canon, you probably aren't going to quibble over the price of long zooms. The Sigma 150-500 is no longer available new in K mount. I've got what I need in the way of glass for the time being so I'm pretty much set for now.

To the OP. You already have a great camera in your K3 and also some very good lenses. I think you would be well served looking for a used 150-500 or 50-500 Bigma and go out and shoot! I'm pretty satisfied with my Pentax gear and there is no way I'm giving up some of my lenses. I'll never likely "switch" brands. I would be more inclined to "add" another brand to my collection if it ever comes to that.

Ricoh is actually doing a lot. They have been bringing out some new glass and the FF will be here soon. It is now very obvious that Pentax was telling the truth when they said that a FF body wasn't in their plans. Ricoh has had to start from scratch and that doesn't happen quickly. This new camera needs to be a good one, not a "me too" model rushed to market rushed to market to satisfy a bunch of internet whiners who probably are too cheap to buy one anyhow.

10-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Like others, what you say makes no sense to me... if you're itching to buy another brand, buy another brand for grief's sake. Personally I see no need to do so but if you're itching, just do it. I have my DA*60-250 and A-400 and 1.4 TC. But if I were you, I'd just pick up a Sigma 150-500. End of problem. Ragging on what Pentax is doing is just a waste of time. After you switch, you'll probably find things you don't like about your new system too, but maybe fewer things. You clearly got into Pentax for all the wrong reasons. "Find the lens you love and buy the camera that goes with it." Being handed down some free gear by a relative is probably not going to get you into a system you really prefer. So, you are starting in a hole. Go buy something frilly.
10-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

I love these threads! I like them a little more dramatic as in "I'm gonna jump! I'm not kidding! Someone come and save Pentax! Hurry". Also it helps to slam Pentax a little harder with things like "We get leftovers" ....."Doomed"....etc. This brings out even more defenders and spices up the thread.

The OP is obviously a novice at this type of thread, he was fairly mellow, but it is good practice and will help others format their "Jumping" threads.

I can only speculate why a shooter with "long glass" consisting of a 50-135 is so worried about a lack of long glass available? Fact is, there is plenty of long glass available for all but the most demanding of shooters.

First....I would suggest starting here and determine why the thousands of excellent shots are not within your desires? When you have mastered the skills exhibited here, then maybe you are qualified to move to a higher plane of achievement? Personally, I am not on first base...I am still in the dugout...and I have been shooting with long glass for years. Crawl, walk, then run......
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-club...ng-lenses.html

Second....I would be looking around here and ask myself what more is needed to accomplish my long glass desires?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-pentax...-pictures.html

Third....You can find some decent work here with the lowly Bigmas at a decent price and learn to walk while doing it!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/279007-sigma-telephoto-zoom-club.html

If there is any real problem for long glass Pentax shooters, I just can't see it......However, I did get suckered into this thread so my judgment may not be the best?
I only opened it for Otis who is always hoping to see a Jumper go SPLAT!

Regards!