Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 04:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

To Bail or Not to Bail

I love my K-3. I have the 50 1.8 a Sigma 17-50 and Da* 50-135. I got Pentax for the WR and because its the brand my grandfather used and I have his old lens and K-1000. These days though I am finding it harder and harder to justify the wait and hope that they or a third party will release more lenses in the longer ranges or even their newer glass. I would be happy if the 150-600 in either of the 3 formats was available in k-mount. Looking at the used market it would be a whole lot cheaper to just go Canon or even Nikon as used glass for them is even more affordable than used glass for pentax. It doesn't even seam like Ricoh knows which way they want to go with their delays and releasing new "pro" lenses with DC motors (one is delayed) and then releasing another one that's a rebranded Tamron. I have no problems with a re branded Tamron but there seems to be no consistency here for coming out with glass for the full frame. Everytime I say thats enough and get ready to start over I think no I'll wait abit longer and see if things change with the third parties releasing their newer lenses in k-mount when the FF comes out. To be honest I'm not holding my breath. Why do we even bother? End of morning rant.

10-06-2015, 05:04 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A camera is just a tool. Use the best tool for the job you need to get done--within your budget, of course.
10-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your grandfather used it.
Perhaps it's not just a tool in that sense.

I'd say follow your heart unless you are bleeding money by not having that long lens.
Also, I don't think it's really that much more costly if you just added a Canon long lens and a used 7d and keep the Pentax stuff
10-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by gastch Quote
I love my K-3. I have the 50 1.8 a Sigma 17-50 and Da* 50-135. I got Pentax for the WR and because its the brand my grandfather used and I have his old lens and K-1000. These days though I am finding it harder and harder to justify the wait and hope that they or a third party will release more lenses in the longer ranges or even their newer glass. I would be happy if the 150-600 in either of the 3 formats was available in k-mount. Looking at the used market it would be a whole lot cheaper to just go Canon or even Nikon as used glass for them is even more affordable than used glass for pentax. It doesn't even seam like Ricoh knows which way they want to go with their delays and releasing new "pro" lenses with DC motors (one is delayed) and then releasing another one that's a rebranded Tamron. I have no problems with a re branded Tamron but there seems to be no consistency here for coming out with glass for the full frame. Everytime I say thats enough and get ready to start over I think no I'll wait abit longer and see if things change with the third parties releasing their newer lenses in k-mount when the FF comes out. To be honest I'm not holding my breath. Why do we even bother? End of morning rant.
well if you cant hold your breath, you can do it like i did two years ago I sold all my Pentax equipment ( at that time had a K5) went to Nikon with D800 and bought some nice lenses.. used it for 3-4 months.. hated the ergonomics, loved the autofocus and ofcourse i came back again to pentax and bought the K-3.. and rebought some of my favorites lenses :-) I had also the luck to play around with a 645z for 3 months.. this was a beast of a camera - i love it!
Anyway, just as i said, you can try other equipment and see if it makes you happy Just as the foto guy said the camera is just a tool and depending your budget you should see what fits you most. I think i can wait until Spring 2016.. i became recently dad, so i am enjoying the time

10-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

get the D-FA150-450... on aps-c the fov will be narrower than the 600 of the sigma on ff...

Last edited by max_pyne; 10-06-2015 at 05:49 AM.
10-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

These days though I am finding it harder and harder to justify the wait and hope that they or a third party will release more lenses in the longer ranges or even their newer glass
Question is, why do you absolutely need that kind of range? With 24 MP you can crop like crazy and still get great images. You can get a 150-450 today, a 200, 300 or 560mm prime, a 1,4x teleconverter.

You should be pretty much always able to get a lens for your needs. But indeed the lens is just a tool. Comparing their specs on paper won't get you better images.
10-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not quite sure why you complain about lack of long lenses when the longest lens you have is the 50-135??
There are several good longer lenses available ... but if you feel better switching systems you should do so.

10-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I'm not quite sure why you complain about lack of long lenses when the longest lens you have is the 50-135??
that was a bit my initial reaction as well.
the choice may be a bit limited, but it seems to be there... and for tele, i'd stick with apsc anyhow.
10-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Consider this: switching systems is expensive. The people I've seen on YouTube who've done it are professional photographers who are being paid for their work and who can soak up and depreciate the costs of the equipment they buy. Consider also how often you would actually use such a lens, and the circumstances under which you would use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
get the D-FA150-450... on aps-c the fov will be narrower than the 600 of the sigma on ff...
This is good advice IF the relative costs are in favour of the Pentax lens vs. Canikon body plus lens. Also, if your intended target is things like wetland birds (for example), a weather-sealed body-lens combination is a very good idea (again, if you can afford the glass), and there is also a compatible (and weather-sealed IIRC) teleconverter if you need even more reach. And when/if you do go full-frame, the D-FA 150-450 is ready for it. All things to consider.

Optics need to be put in the context of the situation they will actually be used in. It's no good to pay for an expensive camera-lens system if one unlucky exposure to the environment destroys it on the first trip out.
10-06-2015, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Ricoh has a long way to go before it will be a popular enough camera that lenses, accessories, software and support are given to them first or equally by third-party manufactures and vendors. So if stuff like that is important to you then either switch or have two systems.

People around here often have a condescending view of the sheep who buy Canon and Nikon when clearly their K3 is the top ranked camera for its class as they see it. But perhaps what behooves them a lot of people want the benefits and comfort of what a popular choice gives you. And that can be a stronger force than the passion of having a button placed in the precise spot or how it feels in you hand.

Last edited by tuco; 10-06-2015 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Fix sentence
10-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
There are several good longer lenses available ... but if you feel better switching systems you should do so.
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
that was a bit my initial reaction as well.
the choice may be a bit limited, but it seems to be there... and for tele, i'd stick with apsc anyhow.
+1.

It seems to me that, if you want long lenses, there are some good ones available -- more would be better, but...

And, if you like (or think you will like) shooting with longer lenses (longer than 50-135), then why would you want FF so badly ?
10-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I believe that the Nikon D600/D610/D750/D800/D800E/D810 and Canon 5DIII are getting older now, and I guess there will be some new innovation from spring 2016 onward, from Nikon, and from Pentax. That's why I haven't switched to Nikon yet. I wait until sping 2016 and then decide to switch or not. It would be too bad to switch to D750 and have a better cam available in 6 months. But regarding the availability of lenses in K mount, yes, that's a real disadvantage for Pentax. As Darwin wrote, regarding survival of the fittest... with everyone here on PF being invested in Pentax mount bodies and lenses, defending the brand as a defense mechanism to protect there investment. What make me laugh are the guys who defend Pentax brand while selling off all of their Pentax gear in the market place... (and buying Canon or Nikon in the background, that I consider as the pinnacle of hypocrisy).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-06-2015 at 06:15 AM.
10-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I stay because I am in love with the glass I have...
10-06-2015, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

It all depends on what your specific needs are also what your budget is. To switch systems, it means you have to sell your current equipment at a discount and buy another brand all over again. You will lose money in this exchange. The question is can you afford to do that.

I came from Canon digital to Pentax thinking that some of my Canon problems will be solved. Well I gained some and lost some. One of the things that I lost was the availability of third party lenses and a much bigger selection of Canon lenses.

My suggestion is to make a two column list of what each system offers. Tally up the pluses and minuses of each system and see who comes out ahead. I kinda of thought that Pentax glass is cheaper than Canon but that is not the case when you factor in some excellent third party lenses (Tamron and Sigma). In that case Canon or Nikon or even Sony come out ahead of Pentax in overall cost of the system and the selection of lenses they offer. If you shoot serious sports you will need FAST super telephotos (600mm f4 and 400mm 2.8). They cost a bloody fortune but Canon and Nikon have it and Pentax does not.

For most shooting situations, Pentax offer enough lenses to produce professional results. For me Pentax offers plenty of lenses and pro bodies and ergonomics second to non, to justify my switch from Canon. For me, it was nostalgia. My first camera ever was a Pentax MX film camera. I had issues with Canon so I decided to go back to my original brand of camera. The first camera was the k5IIs and now the K3. Both of them have been spectacular cameras producing professional results. So, I can wait to see what happens with the FF. I am not about to switch again, after all the grass is not that green on the other side anyway!
10-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
It all depends on what your specific needs are also what your budget is. To switch systems, it means you have to sell your current equipment at a discount and buy another brand all over again. You will lose money in this exchange. The question is can you afford to do that.
Nor necessarily, you can keep your Pentax gear and buy from another brand only what you don't find in Pentax mount. For instance you can buy a D610 and a Tamy 150-600, it costs less that selling all Pentax gear and rebuying the same in Nikon mount. For the price of a DFA150-450, you can almost have a D610+150-600 new.