Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #31
Veteran Member

1/300 or 1/600 of a second may seem like a fast time, but it is not instantenous

movement CAN happen during those times

automotive races are won and lost by lesser intervals.

considering the distance a landscaper covers, the movement done during those 1/300 seconds, multiplied by hundreds of meters, could be recorded.

also mirror lockup is easier to use while the camera is stationary, otherwise you get this black screen for 2 seconds that may throw off your composure.

06-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the problem with carrying it is, if the tripod is in one hand and the walking stick in the other, where is your camera???
I put the hiking stick down when I want to take a picture.

A while ago I read an interesting page about someone who used a combo of backpack D-rings and carabiners to hang their camera by their side using the neckstrap. I can't find that particular page any more, but the basic idea is:
Camera neckstrap is clipped to the upper D-ring of my right shoulder strap using a carabiner, and hangs from this 'biner.
A second 'biner is attached around the right part of my waistbelt. Clipping both ends of the camera strap into this 'biner prevents the camera from bouncing around much.

The end result is that my camera hangs by my side with the lens facing backwards while I move. If I want to get the camera ready to shoot, I just unclip the strap from the lower carabiner and I'm ready. (Camera remains clipped to the upper 'biner for safety until it's attached to the tripod.)

As to quick release plates - I now swear by the Arca Swiss style plates and clamps. They're robust and supported by multiple manufacturers. I only have one plate and clamp right now, but as soon as Kirk releases an L-bracket for the K20D (coming soon most likely, they need to modify it slightly to deal with the K20D's PC X-sync jack) I'll be buying a Kirk clamp for my monopod and my Slik Sprint Mini.

Also: I normally wouldn't go on a hike with the tripod in my hand the entire time, except:
1) I still hadn't worked out an easy way to remove it from its bag when the bag was strapped to my pack. (need to work on this)
2) On this particular hike (Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca, NY), there was a place to stop and take pictures almost every corner. Once you reach the actual gorge it's just waterfall after waterfall.
06-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are backpacks with dedicated holdingspace for tripods.
06-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #34

My solution to the inconvenience of carrying a tripod on a hike is to have it carried by an assistant - my wife, who is a lot stronger and younger than I am. Plus, she packs the lunch.

Richard

06-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Also, if anything is moving (trees in the wind, etc
Yes, I agree that the subject must be static for this to work. I even see another problem: the finite synchronization time (1/180s) may mean that -- while each individual image is tac sharp -- they won't align precisely enough in post processing. Maybe shake reduction solves this well enough.

I will have to do some experiments now. I will post my results (can a burst replace a tripod?) when I have them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
1/300 or 1/600 of a second may seem like a fast time, but it is not instantenous
I had taken this into account and came up with a formula (5x focal length) to be on the safe side. So, I agree with you that, e.g., 1/500 may not be fast enough for 200mm.
06-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #36

One thing which I experience with hand-holding is that the focus could shift very slightly due to body movement.

While this is not a problem with say landscape, but it does matter when I am using a 50 1.4 at 1.4 to take a closeup of my infant baby girl. The depth of field is pretty shallow and even the slight movements of my body often mean that the focus is not spot on (specially since the autofocus already focuses anywhere within a depth of focus range). This results in loss of sharpness.