Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd hardly take the "shares its hardware" quote from the K-S1 review as proof that identical components were used, rather than similar components - it's a different viewfinder, different CPU (which was noted in the K-S2 review, but not the K-S1), much smaller circuit board, different SD card reader - and don't forget those LEDs!

I've got over 20K shots on my K-30 w/ no problems. If you are going to avoid a model because it might have the same components as an earlier model that some have had issues with, then you had better avoid all K-3 IIs, K-3s, and K-5s - in fact, you should just not get a Pentax. Or any other brand.

10-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
My guess is since the KS2 and KS1 share the same shutter as the K50 there is a good chance they have the same aperture control mechanisms too. Out of 3 different K30's I've owned all had over 6000 actuations and never had the aperture problem. One had a pop up flash die and was exchanged though. I think the problem could be overblown since out of thousands of K30's and K50's produced the only ones that had the failure would definitely post it here and I've only seen less than a dozen post about it. You can never be entirely sure any electronic will be 100% reliable. That is why the saying goes "two is one and one is none." If you shoot serious and important events it is a no brainer to have a back up camera!
Mine died within 8 months of purchase. But since then it had been reliable and that was nearly a year ago.
10-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
My ist DS is dying so its time to say goodbye. Budget $500 or less and going for new instead of used. K50 Ks1 Ks2 bodies fall in this range.

Thoughts suggestions welcome.
I have a K-50 at home and a KS-2 at work. When using them it's pretty easy to forget which you are using, they handle very similarly and the size difference is not noticeable in use. The KS-2 has a shallower grip, but it's not unusable by any means and you forget about it when using it. I would highly recommend either. The WR is important to me, but I would not mind a KS-1 for a second camera at all. But if you can do any of them the KS-2 is the newest design with the latest technology of any of the three, that's where I would go.
10-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Three fine cameras, all doing slightly different things.

10-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'd hardly take the "shares its hardware" quote from the K-S1 review as proof that identical components were used, rather than similar components - it's a different viewfinder, different CPU (which was noted in the K-S2 review, but not the K-S1), much smaller circuit board, different SD card reader - and don't forget those LEDs!

I've got over 20K shots on my K-30 w/ no problems. If you are going to avoid a model because it might have the same components as an earlier model that some have had issues with, then you had better avoid all K-3 IIs, K-3s, and K-5s - in fact, you should just not get a Pentax. Or any other brand.
Over 20k shots? Mine started acting up funny right at 26k. Get ready! Then again, it would happen more with my D-FA 50mm than any other lens.
10-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The newer bodies have a better sensor. The 20Mp really is quite lovely - the images have an almost CCD look to them. There are lots of other newer features shared with the K-3 as well.

I have both the K-S2 and K-S1, and actually prefer the K-S1. It's that little bit (but appreciably) smaller, and I really like the simple, sensible button layout and ergonomics. The grip is much more useful than you would think just by looking at web images. If WR or a flippy screen are deal-makers though, the K-S2 it is.
10-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The newer bodies have a better sensor. The 20Mp really is quite lovely - the images have an almost CCD look to them. There are lots of other newer features shared with the K-3 as well.

I have both the K-S2 and K-S1, and actually prefer the K-S1. It's that little bit (but appreciably) smaller, and I really like the simple, sensible button layout and ergonomics. The grip is much more useful than you would think just by looking at web images. If WR or a flippy screen are deal-makers though, the K-S2 it is.
I could live without the screen but I wish there was a KS-1 with WR!

10-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I could live without the screen but I wish there was a KS-1 with WR!
In the K-S1 "Product Story" on the Ricoh Japan website, they describe the decision to give up WR on it as "truly painful". That sounds genuine to me - not the usual marketing-speak. I like to think of the K-S1 as the "DA Limited" - small and capable, but not WR.
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies. Micro Center had the K50 with wr kit lens for $359 with a free 4gig eyefi card. Seemed for most bang for the buck.
10-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all your replies. Micro Center had the K50 with wr kit lens for $359 with a free 4gig eyefi card. Seemed for most bang for the buck.
Enjoy! The eyefi card can be a little fiddly to get setup but once you do it's a nice toy to have. The 4GB size is fine for JPG shooting but really small for RAW shooting.

I ended up putting mine in slot 2 of my K3 and setting it to allow me to send low res JPGs to my phone.
10-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

You're gonna enjoy it. Wait until you start comparing high ISO images. The K-50 will blow you away. My K-50 at ISO 3200 puts out far better images than my old 10 MP Sony A200 DSLR at ISO 800. The K-50 at ISO 12800 & A200 at ISO 800 are almost comparable.

Now I'm looking at getting either a K-3 or a K-5IIs. More than likely I'll end up with a K-3, since old new stock of K-5IIs cameras are going for an arm & a leg on eBay, Amazon, or anyone else that still carries them. I'm waiting to see what "Black Friday" will bring about. Maybe a K-3 body for +- $400? Who knows.
02-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I wanted the K-S2 but missed the Costco sale ($499 with two lenses and a bunch of other stuff) by two days. I got the K-50 with rebate, lens and flash, so net price was $129 for a brand new K-50 body. What's not to like?

The other night I was forced to take some pictures at ISO3200. Lovely. There is some noise, but it is sharp like film grain, not like straw thrown on a floor. It has a beefy grip and a solid feel. It is adept at handling any lens I put on it (I have only one digital, the rest vintage, plus a Rokinon 8mm).

The only shortcoming I can see with the K-50 is no articulated screen. I have one on my FZ1000 and it is almost indispensable.

Other than that, I can honestly say: I love my K-50! Even though it's just 16mp, the images it puts out are spectacular.
02-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotograffiti Quote
Other than that, I can honestly say: I love my K-50! Even though it's just 16mp, the images it puts out are spectacular.

Though I do not have the K50, I agree that the photos posted online are very nice. May I ask you to provide a review here? There are only 14 reviews here on PF; 13 of those 14 are 9's and 10's, but one reviewer issued a "1" for something that appeared to be a warranty issue (not exactly fair IMHO, but each person should be allowed his opinion), and this skews the ratings a lot and, I believe, misrepresents a great camera unless one takes the time to delve into the data further. Your review and upper level score would help offset this one low mark. Thanks.

Last edited by GlennG; 02-03-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: More to add
02-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Though I do not have the K50, I agree that the photos posted online are very nice. May I ask you to provide a review here? There are only 14 reviews here on PF; 13 of those 14 are 9's and 10's, but one reviewer issued a "1" for something that appeared to be a warranty issue (not exactly fair IMHO, but each person should be allowed his opinion), and this skews the ratings a lot and, I believe, misrepresents a great camera unless one takes the time to delve into the data further. Your review and upper level score would help offset this one low mark. Thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
May I ask you to provide a review here? There are only 14 reviews here on PF; 13 of those 14 are 9's and 10's, but one reviewer issued a "1" for something that appeared to be a warranty issue
That's a good idea. Yeah, it's kind of a bum rap to have the camera rated so low over a warranty issue; but then that's part of providing good equipment to the public. I have a few lenses I'd like to review, too, so I'lll be adding a few reviews here when I can find the time.

Happy shooting!

Barry
02-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Do we have any statistics on the frequency of such failures?

BTW: "The Pentax K-S1 shares the majority of its hardware with the K-50"

Pentax K-S1 Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews
No idea... I know 4 persons with a K30 and one had the issue and got it repeared under warenty. I think none of them are heavy users of their camera.