Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trying to decide

I was set on getting the KS-2, but now am wondering if I'd be better off (camera wise), in looking for a K5IIs, with a low shutter count? The KS-2 is rated for "beginners", and does not have the top LCD, which I do use a lot; and I do want a camera with nice capabilities that I can expand with. I currently am using a K10D.

Any suggestions as to which way I should lean towards? I mainly take landscape, wildlife.

10-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

In my opinion for landscape and wildlife you need more megapixels so I would go with KS2. I do not have this camera but I have a K3 and K5 II and there is no doubt that more megapixels means a lot more details that you need for landscape...and also I heard that KS2 is an awesome camera.
10-08-2015, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I was set on getting the KS-2, but now am wondering if I'd be better off (camera wise), in looking for a K5IIs, with a low shutter count? The KS-2 is rated for "beginners", and does not have the top LCD, which I do use a lot; and I do want a camera with nice capabilities that I can expand with. I currently am using a K10D.

Any suggestions as to which way I should lean towards? I mainly take landscape, wildlife.
The ability to tilt the rear LCD upward effectively removes the need for the top LCD, and likewise I'd recommend the K-S2 for the added resolution.

However, it might be a good idea to save up an extra couple of hundred dollars and grab the K-3. It's available for $649 with freebies that you can probably sell for $150.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Naomi!

10-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, that may be the best option for me; if I can find this kind of deal in about a month!

You certainly threw a nice option in the mix for me! Sure couldn't want for anything with the K3!
10-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Its hard to really see how the K-S2 could be classed as a 'beginners' camera ..... Scene modes are often the definition I use for a 'non-enthusiast' model, but the distinctions are becoming very blurred now, especially with the latest sensors being included in a simpler body package.

But sometimes its not even about simplicity ..... the latest models include many complex features and electronics that make them quite complex, but in terms of physical operating controls they are lacking. I would love the sensor or a K-S2, but I wouldn't want to give up the physical build quality and direct access controls of the K7 .... so I'd have to head to a K5II or K3.

I'm sure the K-S2 can perform far beyond what you'd expect any 'beginner' to be able to cope with.
10-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
No "Beginners" camera has custom user settings on the control dial, so only the K-s1 could be considered one - and it can do plenty beyond that useless classification as well. Might as call any camera with an Auto or Program setting a 'beginners' cam! The 20Mpxl sensor is very good and every lens shows more detail in my K-s1. I'm with Adam though, if you must wait a month anyway you should also watch for K-3 deals. Not a thing wrong with the K-5 IIs of course, and its iso80 is quite nice.

10-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Guys, I appreciate your opinions! I do think the K3 might be within my reach soon; so hope a good deal is still available when I can get it!
10-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Carol, I don't have a helpful comment. I just watch the threads where people are trying to decide what to buy, and read what everyone has to say. Lol. Can't wait to see what you choose.
10-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you might want a grip or wireless flash triggering don't get the K-S2.
If that stuff isn't that important and you don't have large hands it's a very nice camera. Images look great and the noise cleans up really well from Lightroom.
Not as many physical buttons as the more pro oriented bodies, but I could see using mine as a professional tool if I needed to.
10-08-2015, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Tina, if there's still a good deal on the K3, I think I'll take the leap on that one!
10-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
If you might want a grip or wireless flash triggering don't get the K-S2.
If that stuff isn't that important and you don't have large hands it's a very nice camera. Images look great and the noise cleans up really well from Lightroom.
Not as many physical buttons as the more pro oriented bodies, but I could see using mine as a professional tool if I needed to.
Hi Matt, I do like the grip option (I have a grip on one of my K10's). Wireless flash triggering, not important at this time, but down the road; who knows? I do have small hands.
10-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carol,

I went from a K10D to a K-3 and it is a route that I can recommend. You will just build on the knowledge that you have and you won't regret it for one moment. And K-3 prices are excellent now.

I have a battery grip on each camera.
10-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ray; nice to hear from someone with a K10D, going to a K3! I'm definitely keeping one of my K10D's as my backup body.
10-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #15

I say save and get the K-3. The deals are just too good to pass up. I have one and I waited and waited, had a few set backs, but I got it and couldn't be happier. It's an amazing rig. Don't get me wrong, a KS2 looks like a great camera but the K-3 prices are just too close.