Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade Advice? K-3, K-3II, K-50, K-S2????

My K-5II is lovely and only recently developed a break in the LCD screen on the back under the glass. It is expensive to fix. So expensive that I figure this will be my backup camera and I will purchase a new one to be my work horse. I am trying to make my mind up and could use your help.

NOTE: I shoot portraits, weddings, adventure, and landscapes.
NOTE2: I am very used to the K-5ii and handeling and am quite happy with it's image and overall performance.

1.) Will I be dissapointed with the handeling if I choose to purcase the K-50 or K-S2?(button layout, switching settings on the fly, grip, other?)
2.)If I am happy with the K-5II, is there any thing I am not thinking of that I would consider a downside by purchasing a K-s2 (considering note 1 above)?

If you think these cameras will make me unhappy in anyway, the I will simply save up and purchase the k-3 or k-3ii.

THANKS!

Last edited by Blacknight659; 10-12-2015 at 12:51 PM.
10-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

I had 2 K-5's and decided to sell one and get a K-3. The difference is night and day to me and I find myself tempted to sell my other K-5 because it's hardly being used now. How do you think you will feel about the louder shutter noise on the K-50 and K-S2?

K-5IIs or K-S2 would be my alternatives if they were significantly cheaper than the K-3 and I thought 24MB files were overkill.
10-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
My K-5II is lovely and only recently developed a break in the LCD screen on the back under the glass. It is expensive to fix. So expensive that I figure this will be my backup camera and I will purchase a new one to be my work horse. I am trying to make my mind up and could use your help.

NOTE: I shoot portraits, weddings, adventure, and landscapes.
NOTE2: I am very used to the K-5ii and handeling and am quite happy with it's image and overall performance.

1.) Will I be dissapointed with the handeling if I choose to purcase the K-50 or K-S2?(button layout, switching settings on the fly, grip, other?)
2.)If I am happy with the K-5II, is there any thing I am not thinking of that I would consider a downside by purchasing a K-s2 (considering note 1 above)?

If you think these cameras will make me unhappy in anyway, the I will simply save up and purchase the k-3 or k-3ii.

THANKS!
Go for the K-3. That's the intended upgrade path for users of the K-5 series.

I don't think you'd like the handling of the K-S2. The K-50's grip is actually quite comfortable, though, but it doesn't have as many convenient buttons.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by norman j shearer Quote
I had 2 K-5's and decided to sell one and get a K-3. The difference is night and day to me and I find myself tempted to sell my other K-5 because it's hardly being used now. How do you think you will feel about the louder shutter noise on the K-50 and K-S2?

K-5IIs or K-S2 would be my alternatives if they were significantly cheaper than the K-3 and I thought 24MB files were overkill.
I would think twice if considering the advised K5lls as its lack of antialiasing filter might just cause problems with moire on wedding dresses. I think a replacement K5ll would be more suitable. I believe it still available in some outlets.

Technically the K3 would be the best of all three as it gives you best of both world, but handle it first as it handles a little diffferently from the K5ii. This another reason for sticking with a K5ll, a camera you are already familiar with, for your professional gigs. However you might be OK with this as have many others who have made the transition.

10-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

I love my k3
10-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-50 shares the same sensor as the K-5IIs, but you're going to lose a few features. You loose the 14bit RAW & go down to 12bit RAW. There is a pretty big difference in RAW image quality between the K-50 & K-5II starting at ISO 6400 & higher. You'll start seeing why the 14bit RAW comes in handy at higher ISOs. There is no grip available for the K-50. The K-50 has a louder shutter click. Don't get me wrong, I love my K-50, but the K-5II is more serious. The K-S2 has the newer 20MP sensor & a bunch of features, but the general consensus is that it also has a loud shutter. You don't want to be too noisy at a wedding ceremony.

Your best bet would be to jump straight to the K-3. Outside of the pixel shift capability in the new K-3II that requires completely static subjects, there is no difference in image quality between the K-3 & K-3II. You basically have to figure out what features you want & go with a K-3 or K-3II. Do you want to give up a built in flash (K-3) for a GPS (K-3II)? Do you want to give up the ability to fire off camera flashes from the camera body (K-3) for slightly improved shake reduction (K-3II)? Do some research before purchasing.
10-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
KDD
Veteran Member

645z?

10-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

Go for the K3 II .... I just did from a K5 and after 5 hours I think it is the right decision. See my write up here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/306026-k3-ii-first-impressions.html