Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlimited Quote
I agree 31 and 77 are great lenses but they are quite expensive (too expensive I would say).
I got mine for 500 each (one new, the other in mint condition ), it's not expensive at all compare to other brand's top-notch lens. So I'd say "be patient" if you want to get one (or two) but since you don't like prime so much, maybe the new 70-200 will bring sth to the table, so patient again
all in all, you already know the brand and choose it, you can make it work somehow ^^ Please share some photos shot with your new cameras ^^

10-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! Welcome to Pentax!

Which 50mm did you get? The DA50/1.8? That's a keeper, IMO. I think everyone needs at least one fast prime, and seeing as you already have it, it'd be a shame to get rid of it without at least trying it out.
10-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
!
Which 50mm did you get? The DA50/1.8?
Yes.. I got it as a B and H bundle with the K-3. It's true I haven't used it at all yet. The thing is Sigma is quite good at 50 mm f2.8, while 50 f1.8 is not great at f1.8 and f2.0 from the tests I've seen; at f2.8 and above it's slightly worse than the Sigma so there's not many reasons to keep it. On the other hand it won't fetch much money so I'll see about it.
I'll post some pictures this weekend taken with my new gear.
10-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I admit to being biased towards primes, but even if I weren't, the DA50 is so light on the K-5 I can't resist using it from time to time if I want a really light, pocketable, fast lens that I'm not afraid to take overseas and lose or get damaged if the worst happens (whereas I wouldn't risk my FA50/1.4 or Tak50/1.4 that way). Sometimes I want that wide aperture, and I'm not afraid to sacrifice a little bit of image quality in order to get it if it means I can keep the ISO/noise down and/or the shutter speed up.

At the end of the day, it depends on what sort of photos you take - in bright light, the DA50's probably got less of a place if the long end of your Sigma can deliver just as well.

10-27-2015, 02:18 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry about the delay.. I hope I'll be able to post some pics this evening..
10-27-2015, 03:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlimited Quote
Yes.. I got it as a B and H bundle with the K-3. It's true I haven't used it at all yet. The thing is Sigma is quite good at 50 mm f2.8, while 50 f1.8 is not great at f1.8 and f2.0 from the tests I've seen; at f2.8 and above it's slightly worse than the Sigma so there's not many reasons to keep it. On the other hand it won't fetch much money so I'll see about it.
the 50mm at 1.8 will give you more shallow dof and that's its strength, it means to be a portrait lens and not razor sharp wide open (to soften wrinkle, blemishes) ^^ try it out, you might like it (a lot )
10-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
the 50mm at 1.8 will give you more shallow dof and that's its strength, it means to be a portrait lens and not razor sharp wide open (to soften wrinkle, blemishes) ^^ try it out, you might like it (a lot )
Rougechat.. I know that... question is if I really need that. I prefer to leave a good lens on and not change lenses very often.. so I don't have many reasons to change the Sigma to 50 f1.8. I'm not saying it doesn't have its uses.. just that it's not so useful to me.