Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Help deciding camera upgrade path

I have been researching and trying to decide on a camera body upgrade path. First a little history.

I have a Canon T2i with modest lenses, nothing really good except the 50mm 1.8 (nifty fifty) which I mainly use for part time portrait work. I want to start upgrading my lenses, but to get fast zooms in Canon, even used you have to shell out quite a bit, and third party is about the same prices as Pentax lenses without weather sealing.

Now last year I bought for my wife a used Pentax k-30, with two WR lenses, nothing fast, but descent. She mainly does snap shot stuff, and does not like using my Canon, cause I always keep it on manual. We took the Pentax to Niagara Falls this past summer for obvious reasons :-) and I am really thinking about upgrading to Pentax, and selling off my Canon gear.

I really think that there is a lot more value with Pentax than the other two big brands.

Budget is a concern, I won't get too much for my Canon gear.

I am trying to decide if I should go with one of the following options.

1. Used K-5 body ( I can use my wife's lenses for now, and also have an old manual 50mm 1.8 K mount)
2. New K-3 body (lots of deals right now, lowest I found was 639 USD)
3. Wait a little longer for a better deal on a new K-3 (holiday season deals)

I know, why would I be considering a K-5 if I am also looking at a new K-3?

I am more interested in investing in good Lenses. My first lens purchase will be the 16-50mm f/2.8, so my thought was that upgrading from a T2i to a K-5 would be a pretty good upgrade and able to save me some cash toward a good lens. And good enough compared to the K-3, the glass is much more important. I mainly shoot portrait, so K-3 low light is not necessary.

But with all the deals on a new K-3 now and maybe even during the holiday season, and I already have three Pentax lenses I could use while saving up for 16-50mm, and of course new is always nice because you know what your getting, I am having a hard time deciding which path makes the most sense.

Thanks,
Stephen

10-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can get a K-3 right now for USD 649 (ten more than you found) with a free lens (DA 50mm f/1.8) and free flash (AF-200FG)!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/304034-k-3-649-w-fr...0mm-flash.html
10-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes. I did see that deal, and I am thinking about it, just wondering if that might come down even more for the holidays.
10-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swhay Quote
Yes. I did see that deal, and I am thinking about it, just wondering if that might come down even more for the holidays.
From what I read in another thread here, Adorama was down to about 50 K3's a few days ago, and apparently when this supply is gone, there are no more. So If you really want a K3, I'd suggest you do as I did, order it now.

10-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have been researching and trying to decide on a camera body upgrade path. First a little history.

I have a Canon T2i with modest lenses, nothing really good except the 50mm 1.8 (nifty fifty) which I mainly use for part time portrait work. I want to start upgrading my lenses, but to get fast zooms in Canon, even used you have to shell out quite a bit, and third party is about the same prices as Pentax lenses without weather sealing.

Now last year I bought for my wife a used Pentax k-30, with two WR lenses, nothing fast, but descent. She mainly does snap shot stuff, and does not like using my Canon, cause I always keep it on manual. We took the Pentax to Niagara Falls this past summer for obvious reasons :-) and I am really thinking about upgrading to Pentax, and selling off my Canon gear.

I really think that there is a lot more value with Pentax than the other two big brands.

Budget is a concern, I won't get too much for my Canon gear.

I am trying to decide if I should go with one of the following options.

1. Used K-5 body ( I can use my wife's lenses for now, and also have an old manual 50mm 1.8 K mount)
2. New K-3 body (lots of deals right now, lowest I found was 639 USD)
3. Wait a little longer for a better deal on a new K-3 (holiday season deals)

I know, why would I be considering a K-5 if I am also looking at a new K-3?

I am more interested in investing in good Lenses. My first lens purchase will be the 16-50mm f/2.8, so my thought was that upgrading from a T2i to a K-5 would be a pretty good upgrade and able to save me some cash toward a good lens. And good enough compared to the K-3, the glass is much more important. I mainly shoot portrait, so K-3 low light is not necessary.

But with all the deals on a new K-3 now and maybe even during the holiday season, and I already have three Pentax lenses I could use while saving up for 16-50mm, and of course new is always nice because you know what your getting, I am having a hard time deciding which path makes the most sense.

Thanks,
Stephen
I just shot some pix with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 which I bought used for less than $300. The quality blew me away. I have the Three Amigos and ended up using the Tamron for most of the two day shoot. If the budget allows get the K3. If not get the k5IIs.

BTW, I have shot with Pentax's Nift-Fifty, the low priced DA 50 f1.8. Mechanically it is not the best but optically it is a true Pentax with fantastic image quality. I have both the K3 and the K5IIs and other than the extra res (which is not a deal breaker), the images are identical. The dynamic range of the Pentax system is enough for me to switch to Pentax from Canon. As a matter of fact that is what I did two years ago and I never looked back. I switched from Canon 6D and L lenses to K5IIs with the Three Amigos.

You can probably get a used K5IIs with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for around $700. The combo will give you superior quality at a reasonable rate.
10-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyday prices on Pentax gear have been really low this year (many lower than during the holidays last year). I'd jump on that K-3 deal before it's gone.

I can also second both the Tamron 17-50mm and Sigma 17-50mm if you'd like a lens for less than the DA*, but of similar optical quality.

DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
After much thought, I have decided to go with an older body and focus (no pun intended) on purchasing good lenses and then upgrading the body in a year or two, depending on the shape and shutter count the K-5 body I ordered is in.
10-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good luck with the K-5. Auto-focus on that body is pretty sketchy in low light and/or coloured light. If you have return rights, check the focus out carefully. The one I owned was totally useless in tungsten light.

10-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

If I were buying my first Pentax DSLR right now, I would go with the K-3. However, I can appreciate your reasoning for doing otherwise. The K-5 was once the Pentax flagship and should be viewed in this light, and it was touch-and-go as to whether I bought it or the K-30 (with which you already are familiar). In the end I chose the K-5 (the K-3 was not yet out), so it'll be interesting to hear what you think of it side-by-side with the K-30. I love it. I think you will too, for as long as you intend to hold on to it (I'm in no hurry to get rid of mine, impending full-frame or not).

Absent the possibility of scoring a lemon (always present, even new), I think it'll serve you well. If you're portrait shooting you're going to have a fairly well controlled environment (including lighting if it's studio), so you'll have the ability to check your focus carefully anyway.
10-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
As long as the K-5 is in good shape, I bought it from An Amazon seller with high ratings, as KEH did not have any. I am not that worried about low light, my Canon T2i is probably worse. I primarily shoot controlled studio and have a couple mono lights with a octo soft box etc. I specialize in chroma-key and add in the backgrounds later. Here is an example of a portrait I did last year for my son's school picture, done with the T2i.
Attached Images

10-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

From the description of your studio setup and the result posted, I'd say you've got things nicely under control.
10-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you.