Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phatjoe Quote
Hello:

I'm in the market for a new DSLR (little invested in glass). I've read so many positive reviews on the K20D, that I decided to check out Pentax.

1st try at store A:
Honestly, it was okay in my hands, but the other DSLRs felt better. For example the Sony A700, and Nikon D300. I think these cameras have a fatter grip. When I wrap my fingers, and palm around them, they occupy more my hands (feel tighter in my hands). I know that Pentax is known for their ergonomics so I gave it a second try.

2nd try at store B:
Unfortunately, they only had a K10D, no A700/D300. On its own it felt fine. Of course, I couldn't compare it against anything. I'm wondering if I could get use to it.

I really like this camera, the 14MP, live view, weather sealing, etc. It just didn't fit my hands as well as the others. I was actually thinking of going back to store A and try again (maybe try and convince myself)

Anyone, NOT like the ergonomics of the K20D, but bought it due to it's picture potential, options, etc?

Do you think the "feel" of a camera is something someone can get use to?

I feel odd on this one...

Thx,
PJ .
This is a joke, right? I have used them all and the K20D especially with the Grip is an ergonomic marvel. One of the first things I noticed about the K10D and K20D was how seamless the grip is with the two. The lines are beautiful and works so nicely with the lines of the body. On the Canon it is like a poorly designed after thought. I suggest you try out the Pentax with the grip.

Ben

06-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
So the K100D and the K20D are the same body?
the K10D is the same body as the K20D

the K100D is the same as K200D

he wrote that after selling his 100 for the 10, when moved to the 20 the ergonomics didnt change
06-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Some good responses in here that will hopefully help.

Here's my (c), (c)'s.

If you are more than a hobbyist then you will ultimate choose the camera that has the options you need and ones that you can grow into. Both the K10 and the K20 are excellent in this regard, but each camera maker makes excellent models.

If you are a hobbyist....then you have a couple of things to think about.
1.) Which system makes the most sense to you and your needs. All systems are a bit different and have different stress points. Canon has fast autofocus, Pentax has fabulous older lenses that work seamlessly with the new digital bodies, Nikons are ugly (sorry, I had to put that in there).
2.) Buy the camera that feels the best in your hands and is the most intuitive to use. If you don't then you are likely to become frustrated with the controls and ultimate take less pictures - which defeats the whole point.

As others have pointed out...both the K10 and K20 feel significantly different with the grip attached. Once you have the grip you are likely to never take it off...it feels that good. It's not for everyone I would gather, but if you are interested in Pentax you should at least give it a go.

Good luck.

c[_]
06-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I know I'm in the minority here but I actually prefer the ergonomics of the Canon 5D over the K10/K20D. But that is mainly due to the fact that I prefer Canon's placement of the dual control wheels. I still haven't gotten used to the location of the front dial on my K10D, it just doesn't feel very natural to me. I'd rather it be behind a recessed shutter release ala Canon. However I do love the shape and size of the body. It's nice and portable without the battery grip and it's extremely comfortable with it.

The Canon 40D, Nikon D300, and Sony A700 are all quite large. I do think they are all comfortable, but I'd rather have the option of adding a battery grip to make it larger if necessary. That way you can have either a portable camera or a "comfortable brick" depending on your mood/use/taste.

06-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I do not like about the K20D is the location of the AF button on the back. I would like it swapped with the +/- (exposure compensation) button. Without a tripod or monopod it makes my grip on the camera a compromise while focussing. I don't think (though may be wrong) anyone tries to contually alter the +/- button while shooting, whereas the AF button is continually used by me while shooting, and having the AF button higher up would help my camera grip.
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the K10D is the same body as the K20D

the K100D is the same as K200D

he wrote that after selling his 100 for the 10, when moved to the 20 the ergonomics didnt change
Yep, what you said.
06-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
One thing I do not like about the K20D is the location of the AF button on the back. I would like it swapped with the +/- (exposure compensation) button. Without a tripod or monopod it makes my grip on the camera a compromise while focussing. I don't think (though may be wrong) anyone tries to contually alter the +/- button while shooting, whereas the AF button is continually used by me while shooting, and having the AF button higher up would help my camera grip.
Id want it put in the front. Next to the shutter release or just like the raw button is placed but on the right side.

06-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

But you need to be able to use it with a different finger to the shutter release finger, really only leaving your thumb or the one next to the pointer (whatever it's called), and that longest finger is holding the camera. Left hand is zooming or focussing.
06-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will be heading back to the camera store this weekend. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll play around more with the settings/functions/controls. In particular, change from single shot to motor drive, change the focus point, change the exposure mode, change the focus mode, the WB, the exposure bracketing. Anything else you can recommend that I should focus on?

Thx
06-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
the one next to the pointer (whatever it's called), and that longest finger
Middle finger ?
06-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Middle finger ?
Same to you!
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phatjoe Quote
I will be heading back to the camera store this weekend. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll play around more with the settings/functions/controls. In particular, change from single shot to motor drive, change the focus point, change the exposure mode, change the focus mode, the WB, the exposure bracketing. Anything else you can recommend that I should focus on?

Thx
If they have a grip there, attach that, and you will like it MUCH more, mine NEVER comes off of my K10D except when i have to charge the battery in the body....
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never really thought about the question.

I bought on features and economics -- without ever touching any camera.

But in my case, the K10D with the grip is much more comfortable over the coarse of a day. Without the grip, my 'pinky finger' and subsequent forearm muscles attached to it got fatigued rather quickly.
06-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #29
Pentaxian

To tell you the truth ergonomics didn't come into the equation for me. I think I'd get used to whatever I use. I don't think the others are that bad that I couldn't.