Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone NOT pleased w/K20D ergonomics, BUT bought it do to potential??

Hello:

I'm in the market for a new DSLR (little invested in glass). I've read so many positive reviews on the K20D, that I decided to check out Pentax.

1st try at store A:
Honestly, it was okay in my hands, but the other DSLRs felt better. For example the Sony A700, and Nikon D300. I think these cameras have a fatter grip. When I wrap my fingers, and palm around them, they occupy more my hands (feel tighter in my hands). I know that Pentax is known for their ergonomics so I gave it a second try.

2nd try at store B:
Unfortunately, they only had a K10D, no A700/D300. On its own it felt fine. Of course, I couldn't compare it against anything. I'm wondering if I could get use to it.

I really like this camera, the 14MP, live view, weather sealing, etc. It just didn't fit my hands as well as the others. I was actually thinking of going back to store A and try again (maybe try and convince myself)

Anyone, NOT like the ergonomics of the K20D, but bought it due to it's picture potential, options, etc?

Do you think the "feel" of a camera is something someone can get use to?

I feel odd on this one...

Thx,
PJ .

06-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Only you know..

I think only you know best which camera fits your hands best. Just try again and get what you feel the best if ergonomics are most important.
06-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well if u want you can get a battery grip, that help much at least for me.
06-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not really what you asked for, but I have a small experience with what your talking about.

When I bought my first DSLR I asked around a few forums about advice. Everywhere I got the advice to go out and feel the cameras in stores. So I did. I squeezed a Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Canon 40D, Canon 400D, Pentax K10D, Pentax K100D and a Olympus E-3. Here is the cavet, NONE of them felt good. All of them were uncomfortable. I could not stand any of them really. So I figured, I'll just pick the one that suits my needs best. And went for the K10D, by now it's an extension of my body, it feels great to hold and I feel naked not carrying it around.

You get used to it.

06-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
phatjoe:

I thnk RiceHigh said it best. That said, I found the A700 a better fit for my hands too, but my decision to buy the K20 was the best, all-around fit by far. Best of luck to you on your choice!

Regards,

Ernest
06-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The ergonomics of the camera are not just how it fits in your hands, but where all of the switches and dials are. So a camera could fit well in your hands but prove to be not ergonomic at all. A lot of people like the K10D/K20D's ergonomics not just because of how it fits in one's hand, but due to control positioning.

In my case - I LOVE how my K20D feels with the D-BG2 battery grip. I had no problem with it without the grip before I purchased it, but now whenever I go "gripless" the camera feels weird and small.
06-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Forum Member

The A700 does have excellent ergonomics... probably my favorite. But the K20D is close, and hey, I like the K20D more overall.

Are you trying them powered up? More than just holding them in your hands, try doing certain things on the camera. Change from single shot to motor drive, change the focus point, change the exposure mode, change the focus mode, the WB, the exposure bracketing... etc. I know for me on the A700, Ive always liked how quick and responsive it is with choosing focusing points, but on the K20D, it's much faster and easier to change the focus mode. The A700 has a dedicated ISO button, but I actually slightly prefer holding down the OK button and using the front dial to change ISO quickly with the K20D. Both of them are rather quick for me when it comes to manipulating flash, but just very, very different from each other... etc. etc. etc.

Always fun, searching for the camera body that's right for you!

06-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I loved the ergonomics of my K10D right from the first time I picked it up in the store. All the dials and switches are easy to use while shooting. The longer I use it the more I like it. That said, ergonomics and layout preferences will be different for everyone so its your decision.
06-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for responding...very helpful. I think this coming weekend, I'll spend a bit more time with the cameras. I'll check out the viewfinder, and control layout. There is definitely a little bit of a compromise with all of these cameras.

"Zewrak" definitely very helpful.
06-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Giveaway winner!

well, the ergonomics of the k20d are for myself great

i have tiny hands, and the large grip on the side with the ruberish feel helps me hold it firmly much better than the cannon 40d.

i love the two wheels which makes it so easy to change settings rapidly
and i can acces all buttons on the right hand side with my fingeres easily while still holding the camera firmly

what do you not like in the ergonomics?

i beleive the ergonomic is a very important aspect of the camera,
it does however need some time to get used to it, and swithing to other cameras, when used to one, makes it feel uneasy.
their exist some kind of "spatial memory" for holding things, which explains why one is not at ease when holding something a little different in shape. as it gives the feeling it is not being hold the right way. you do get used to that.

therefore i would not necessarily consider the shape as a crucial aspect, unless you have excessivle large hands.
i would only consider how stable the camera feels in your hand
and how easy you can reach the buttons to change settings
06-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

don't forget about the optional grip upgrade pentax has!

K10D/K20D????????????????????PENTAX
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised anyone would not like the ergonomics. It is identical to the K10D in that respect, and also the *istD, with one exception, the *istD is too small.

You don't notice it when you use the camera on it's own, but notice the difference when you pick up the Big Brother (K10D) because it feels better.

A lot of people complained about the K10D size as being too big, but I think it is about right (at least for me). The *istD was too small, in hindsight with a long tele.

ALso, I really like the dual thumb wheel controls, and find (again K10D based) location of all controls.

I have picked up a few other cameras, some Canons and Nikons and found the controls confusing. I never had this issue withthe pentax bodies, and I still haven't read either manual fully.

If you can understand the camera without the manual, I would say it is just about right.
06-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phatjoe Quote
It just didn't fit my hands as well as the others.
You seem to talk just about how the camera fits your hands. And you seem to like the bigger lines more.

If that's the case, you may take the following into account:
  • The K20D, by many, isn't considered complete w/o its battery grip.
  • Pentax Japan, Pentax Germany, (so soon Pentax USA as well, I guess), offers a bigger grip (the part under the shutter release button) for an extra 50€ (50$?). You won't be able to check it out in a store, though. First user reports from Germany have been positive.
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ergonomics are important. If you don't like how the camera feels or works, you won't use it. Only you can say if it's enough to override some other benefit of the camera you're considering.

My first dSLR was the *ist DL (small). I really liked how it felt. When the K100D came out, I wanted the shake reduction so I bought it and sold the DL. At first I didn't like how it felt, but got used to it. When I sold the K100D for the K10D, I didn't like how it felt, but got used to it. When I went to the K20D, the ergonomics were the same so I didn't have that "new/different" feeling.

I guess this shows that I got used to the cameras and perhaps you will too. However, don't discount it. Just consider it as an important part of the overall camera package.
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So the K100D and the K20D are the same body?