Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any official Pentax price/production updates?

I'm seeing reference in other threads to the depleting K-3 stock owing to the price drop - or vice versa Has K-3 production officially stopped, or soon will do so?

Also I'm wondering about MSRP numbers, which seem to be routinely ignored now. Has P/Ricoh cut any MSRPs or do they just smile when they reference them now? I am about ready to get a new WR body and it's hard to tell which deals are superior without a decent, fairly fixed reference point. A 20% discount off MSRP means little when the average price everywhere else is 18% off..

Once I grab something I won't look back but my inner research geek gets uncomfy when too many variables are in play -- thanks!

10-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'm seeing reference in other threads to the depleting K-3 stock owing to the price drop - or vice versa Has K-3 production officially stopped, or soon will do so?

Also I'm wondering about MSRP numbers, which seem to be routinely ignored now. Has P/Ricoh cut any MSRPs or do they just smile when they reference them now? I am about ready to get a new WR body and it's hard to tell which deals are superior without a decent, fairly fixed reference point. A 20% discount off MSRP means little when the average price everywhere else is 18% off..

Once I grab something I won't look back but my inner research geek gets uncomfy when too many variables are in play -- thanks!
No indication yet of discontinuation of the original K-3. I wouldn't expect it to be discontinued since some people will want the variant with the flash...

The street price for the K-3 seems to be in the mid-$600's now. Adorama still has the best deal, IMO, with the free 50mm lens and flash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Am I mistaken, or is the U.S. the only country in the world where DSLRs are regularly available for significantly under the MSRP?
10-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MSRP has a long complex history in the USA. The most relevant info I have found is here: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/de...cturer-imposed

10-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK thanks Adam, I consider you the best reality check we have (kenspo is our rumor check!).
I'll aiming for the K-s2 but will watch the K-3 prices, and jump when feelings trump analysis
10-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No indication yet of discontinuation of the original K-3. I wouldn't expect it to be discontinued since some people will want the variant with the flash...

The street price for the K-3 seems to be in the mid-$600's now. Adorama still has the best deal, IMO, with the free 50mm lens and flash.
In the marketplace there is a post where another member contacted Adorama CS (IIRC or B&H one I'll have to doublecheck which) and they were informed they only had around 50 left in their warehouse and wouldn't be able to order more since the body was discontinued.
10-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

In Sweden, the original K-3 has not been available for months. Only K-3 II can be bought. K-50 is still available.