Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax DSLR tips

Share your tips on using Pentax DSLRs.
I'll start with this tip:
Zoom into images when viewing them with the rear control dial.
Change images with the front control dial.
Put them together and change images when zoomed in.

:-)

10-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The first thing I do is set up the camera for back button focusing
10-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I Second That!!
Also, turn off the auto noise reduction processing for long exposures, because that takes forever and a half to finish the picture.
10-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Turn off any beeping !

10-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Program those User modes. My K-3 is set for Action, Tripod or Flash, simply by rotating the mode dial. No forgetting to change shooting mode, metering, AF mode and points, ISO range, SR, file type, highlight correction and just about any other damn thing you can flub.

Back button focussing is a completely unnecessary complication when you have a K-3 and a properly configured User mode.
10-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Also, turn off the auto noise reduction processing for long exposures, because that takes forever and a half to finish the picture.
It took me a while to figure that out
10-17-2015, 02:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I Second That!!

Is this the ' dark frame subtraction ' ? If so I don't think it can be turned off, at least I don't know how to on the K7 .....

10-17-2015, 02:36 AM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Is this the ' dark frame subtraction ' ? If so I don't think it can be turned off, at least I don't know how to on the K7 .....
I can turn it off on my k-30.
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
It took me a while to figure that out
I fixed it thanks to pentax forums. :P
10-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It's called "slow shutter speed nr" in most of Pentax manuals I've looked at (including the k7), and is either in the Record menu or the Custom Settings menu, depending on your model..

Which brings me to my "tip". Read the manual. Also get the pdf version (found here: Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA) so you have something that's easier to search.
10-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter

RTFM! Always!
10-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I turn off the shutter button AF. I have found something really interesting (to me, anyway) about the K3. If I select green mode on the mode dial, half press AF comes back. Saves menu work when handing the camera to someone else to push the button. It also switches to 27 point AF.
10-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And I turn off the shutter button AF. I have found something really interesting (to me, anyway) about the K3. If I select green mode on the mode dial, half press AF comes back. Saves menu work when handing the camera to someone else to push the button. It also switches to 27 point AF.
Yea, the green mode on the dial is "hand the camera to your mom" mode Pretty much everything is automated and, you are correct" AF is accomplished on the shutter half press
10-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Program those User modes. My K-3 is set for Action, Tripod or Flash, simply by rotating the mode dial. No forgetting to change shooting mode, metering, AF mode and points, ISO range, SR, file type, highlight correction and just about any other damn thing you can flub.
Dan, thanks for a great suggestion! I just got my new K3, so this will be a time-saving, no frustration tip!
10-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

Back button focussing is a completely unnecessary complication when you have a K-3 and a properly configured User mode.
How complicated is it to use your thumb instead of pointer finger to focus?
10-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How complicated is it to use your thumb instead of pointer finger to focus?
It is a mess, because I need to undo many years of programming in my brain. Half-press requires no thought, and no extra motion. My finger is on the shutter release automatically.

The main reason people give for using back-button focus is to shuttle quickly from action shooting with AF-C, to AF-S for shooting stills. I shuttle between action and stills with User mode.

I normally have the camera in Hyper-Program, AF-S, center point, SR on. When I want to shoot action, I switch my mode dial to User1, which changes many things that I need for action shooting; TAv mode, AF-C, 25-point expandable AF point, SR off, center-weighted metering, +0.5EC. I understand using BBF with older cameras, but with the K-3's electronic buttons and User modes, BBF is an unnecessary complication, and a less sophisticated operating method, IMO.