Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 II - First Impressions

Got my K3 II today to replace my K5. So far so great! I am sure there are plenty of threads out there on this... but I thought I would share my first (and developing) impressions of the camera.

10/16 - After about 30 pics
1) It is definitely a bigger camera than my K5. With a 50mm 1.8, does not feel as well balanced as a K5, but when I put on a 12-24mm feels just fine. A friend (who shoots a Canon 5D) remarked how very small the K3 II is.... so relative to the world, Pentax still makes the wonderfully small.

2) Much faster focusing with a 50mm 1.8. I did not get the impression that I would be impressed from what I have read, but my "seat of the pants meter" (I also like cars) says that it is a lot faster at focusing.

3) Pixel Shift really does an amazing job! I took a quick shot in my house for fun with the camera resting on my camera bag. BIG difference in detail and noise.
I attached the full image with no crop and a Pixel Shift cropped and a regular single shot cropped. Not exactly scientific, but pretty cool.

Very different experience than shooting HDR or bracketing. The shutter just stays open until it is done. I am sure this is to eliminate any shake - but it's just a bit different at first.

4) Love the display on the back. Bigger and just a lot prettier. Maybe I am just excited, but I like it a lot better.

5) HDR only has 3 shot option. Need to read up more on how this is done and what the three settings within this option mean.

6) No luck with the GPS yet - but have been mostly inside. Will experiment this weekend.

7) Love the sound of the shutter.

8) SAME BATTERY AS MY K5 - YAY!!!! That saved me a few bucks since I have 3 spares already.

9) Menu / Setup are pretty much the same. No surprises which is great.

10) Happy to have the Movie switch. Must easier to get to movie mode.

I am sure there is a lot more to discover. I am camping this weekend and look forward to playing with Pixel shift in the world and Astro Tracer. I also picked up a DA 50mm 1.8 and am looking forward to using that around the camp fire. It's replacing my 50mm 1.7 M (at least until I compare the two.)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The K-3II is a step above the K-5. K-3 delivers images visibly sharper than K-5 (with sharp lenses). We can see that the pixel shift crop has much less noise. Congratulation for your new acquisition.
10-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I also just bought the K3II. I also have K5IIs and the K3II is incredibly sharp, much sharper then K5IIs. Pixel Shift is also quite good in still images like macro etc. For example If you use it to shoot moving waters and moving leaves etc. then the pixel shift makes wierd green pixels around objekts that moved. Also You have to have extra memori cards. Normal image is about 30MB, but images with pixel Shift is about 120MB. Big tifference. I noticed that in pixel Shift mode the pictures are more overexposed. I also like compass, thats greate extra.

In general I am happy, that I bought that camera. It is definitely worth it.

Here is first Picture that I made with K3II.

Sunrise with cows | Nature photography by Urmo Parts

Urmo.
10-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That looks like a jazz kit...though I'm sure that wasn't the point of your post.

11-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #5

I've been trying to decided whether to buy a K3 II because the pixel shift looks great. I recall that Tony Northrup demonstrated the Olympus sensor shift, with monolights, in one of his videos. Is this possible with Pentax pixel shift? I don't think my old monolights can keep up.
12-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
I'm starting to consider replacing my K-5ii with the full frame or the K-3ii because much of my work is low light.

How would you compare K-3ii low light focusing and image quality to the K-5ii? Is it worth the body change?

I admit wondering about, do I spend $ 6500 to get FF body and new lenses or just $ 750 to K-3ii to fix my low light issues.
12-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

K3 II - First Impressions

Guessing k-5 will outperform in low light and dynamics, where as k-3 ii will outperform in cropping thanx to more pixls and pixel shift.

Ive shot somewhat 400frames with k-3 ii and in some points miss the colour dynamics of k-5, but can easily get focus right pics with balanced lightning so Im happy. I do Postprocessing for pics anyways and it appears I get more usable photos with k-3. Compared to k-5 IIs guessing theres less gap especially in focusing performance, so its a definitely a though call. Im quite happy with APC as shooting mainly portraits and animals, tend to prefer smaller size in lenses and frame than pure picture quality.
12-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

HDR is always 3 shots.
From 1 to 3 the effect gets stronger.

But you can use bracketing where you can choose between 2, 3 and 5 shots and also can customize the exposure steps. The HDR image has to be created in post-processing though.

12-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
mattipuh, are you saying you think the image quality of the K-5 is better than the K-3 ii? I agree about the 14-bit depth of the K-5ii being amazing. I'm able to hit the low light, but am getting tired of crossing fingers even time I need to make sure a photo works when my camera screen is flashing yellow at me.
12-26-2015, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #10

yep, like k-5 colour rendering but k-3 can push sharper images.